Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists mega-thread (WARNING: Before posting you must read post #1)

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

NIMAN wrote: »
    Cycling in the dark without lights should be clamped down on just as using a mobile phone whilst driving has been.

This risks being a little off topic, and I fully agree that cycling without lights should be clamped down on, but IME it's very debatable that mobile phone use has really been clamped down on. Certainly I still see far too many motorists staring at screens, or with phones to their ears. I guess my point is that I'd like to see greater enforcement of both than mobile phone use currently has, and that it's a poor yardstick for proper enforcement :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cython wrote: »
    This risks being a little off topic, and I fully agree that cycling without lights should be clamped down on, but IME it's very debatable that mobile phone use has really been clamped down on. Certainly I still see far too many motorists staring at screens, or with phones to their ears. I guess my point is that I'd like to see greater enforcement of both than mobile phone use currently has, and that it's a poor yardstick for proper enforcement :)

I'm reasonably sure that NIMAN was making the same point as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I am as at least as unhappy with texting drivers, poor lane usage and broken car lights as I am with unlit cyclists.

A crackdown on any one of them would nab a good few of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Not to change topic, but what are the rules with regards to cycling 2 abreast on a main road-are cyclists required to go into single file to allow traffic to pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do they have lights on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Not to change topic, but what are the rules with regards to cycling 2 abreast on a main road-are cyclists required to go into single file to allow traffic to pass?

There is no such requirement. I and others that I cycle with will try to go single file on narrow roads to let cars past if the way is visibly clear and the road is narrow enough that passing 2 abreast isn't possible (i.e. more a boreen than a main road), but only when we are happy that it is safe to do so.

Going single file in many cases encourages people to pass when it's not really safe to do so by squeezing by very close.

cython wrote: »
    There is no such requirement. I and others that I cycle with will try to go single file on narrow roads to let cars past if the way is visibly clear and the road is narrow enough that passing 2 abreast isn't possible (i.e. more a boreen than a main road), but only when we are happy that it is safe to do so.

Going single file in many cases encourages people to pass when it's not really safe to do so by squeezing by very close.
    Old Crusheen to Gort road, hard shoulder each side, 2 guys cycling abreast, solid white line on road, 4 cars slowing right down to accommodate these guys.
    Had I been cycling I'd have moves into hard shoulder to allow the cars to pass. Seems sensible and courteous thing to do.

Why didn't the cars just overtake the cyclists? ( it's legal to overtake "an obstruction" if there is a solid white line)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Why didn't the cars just overtake the cyclists? ( it's legal to overtake "an obstruction" if there is a solid white line)

Shaneaglish area blind bends.

Sounds like a dangerous road. Staying behind the cyclists was probably the best for both cyclists and motorists?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Bike lights thread gone off topic enough times to merge it with the cyclists mega thread -- please all note the warning in the title.... it possibly should have been merged from day one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Shaneaglish area blind bends.
    would the motorist have had to put his or her wheels over the white line to pass a lone cyclist, with 1.5m passing distance? if so, it doesn't matter if there was a lone cyclist or two cycling abreast. putting your wheels over the white line implies a full overtake into a safely clear road ahead.

it's possible the cyclists maintained the two abreast posture to ensure the motorists completed a full overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Old Crusheen to Gort road, hard shoulder each side, 2 guys cycling abreast, solid white line on road, 4 cars slowing right down to accommodate these guys.
    Had I been cycling I'd have moves into hard shoulder to allow the cars to pass. Seems sensible and courteous thing to do.

Why should the cyclists care?

Motorists don't care when they block up roads bumper to bumper.

When you're in the car in heavy traffic and a bike comes up behind you, do you move over to let it through?

When you're in the car in heavy traffic and a bike comes up behind you, do you move over to let it through?

Actually if I can make space to let the cyclist through, yes. Did it with a motorbike in Galway today.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why should the cyclists care?

Motorists don't care when they block up roads bumper to bumper.
    Churlish response.

Actually if I can make space to let the cyclist through, yes. Did it with a motorbike in Galway today.

So every time a cyclist comes up behind you in traffic, you make sure you move over?

would the motorist have had to put his or her wheels over the white line to pass a lone cyclist, with 1.5m passing distance?

No.
    When we did pass them, I watched them in the rear-view mirror and I honestly don't believe they cared about traffic backing up behind them. The hard shoulder was wide and well surfaced. Had I been biking, I'd certainly have gone onto the hard shoulder, if just to let the cars pass, knowing full well that the road was dangerous and that it would have been safer for me as a cyclist to get the vehicles away from me.
    I certainly hear the frustrations of cyclists who have to deal with careless drivers, but it seems to me that the sensible thing is to make the road work for everyone, especially when there is effectively an empty lane that I can safely use even if just temporarily.
    I appreciate the replies-was just wondering what the deal was in such a situation.

So every time a cyclist comes up behind you in traffic, you make sure you move over?

Can you read? I said "if I can".
    I have no idea what your experience on the road is, but don't tar us all with the same brush. You may not wish to acknowledge it but some car drivers are aware of cyclists and cognisant of the danger 1000 pounds of metal pose to a cyclist, and will act with care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To be fair, alot of motorists do this if space and the need is there. I would find that when you look at those pulled in to the right it generally those who are stalled in traffic and are paying no heed to anyone and those who are stalled and move if possible. The majority if they realise do try to move out.
    Occasionally, and rare in regards the number of motorists I see daily, but not rare in that i see the maneuver daily, are those who clearly have seen you and clearly pull in to block you on purpose. It's a real sign of a ****ty person that they need this to get through the day. I have worked with people with this attitude, they are not moving forward, therefore they must try and get in the way of others, if only for their mild amusement. Shower of half baked f&*k wits.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    To be fair, alot of motorists do this if space and the need is there. I would find that when you look at those pulled in to the right it generally those who are stalled in traffic and are paying no heed to anyone and those who are stalled and move if possible. The majority if they realise do try to move out.

My experience differs. I find it is the fairly rare exception that a driver clearly moves out to let a cyclist through.
    Can you read? I said "if I can".
    I have no idea what your experience on the road is, but don't tar us all with the same brush. You may not wish to acknowledge it but some car drivers are aware of cyclists and cognisant of the danger 1000 pounds of metal pose to a cyclist, and will act with care.

Yep, some drivers are aware of cyclists - but some drivers also fail to recognise that a line of cyclists in single file is not safer to pass than a short bunch of cyclists. With a short bunch, you will have full visibility of the passing manoevre. With a long line, there is a good chance that you'll get half-way through the overtake and then find yourself facing an oncoming car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would consider myself a tree hugger, but would argue hugh linehan is talking a lot of sense here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fairview-trees-row-shows-why-dublin-remains-a-mess-1.3183739

Advertisement