Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists mega-thread (WARNING: Before posting you must read post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pat_McGroyne

In fairness, any self-respecting cyclist will have third party insurance from Cycling Ireland. Also I don't understand how you can argue that cyclists should pay a tax for cycle lanes when the majority of the country is cycle lane-less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

In fairness, any self-respecting cyclist will have third party insurance from Cycling Ireland.
    Errrr... no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The thing is, I would guess most cyclists do pay road tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

paddyland wrote: »
    The public road cannot cope with those volume of cyclists.

Many a public road can not cope with huge volumes of motorists.

Roads bumper to bumper, nobody moving for ages.

All the while these stationery vehicles pump out killer emissions.

Any thoughts on that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

madra dubh wrote: »
    Why do we tolerate them on our roads. I have been a cyclist, motorcyclist, car driver, van driver & minibus driver and by far the worst are cyclists. Colour blind (don't recognise traffic lights). They moan continually about other road users not being considerate yet a large amount make no effort to keep themselves seen and safe. Pay no road tax yet are allocated cycle lanes. Need no insurance yet can cause damage (ever tried to claim off one that is at fault). Motorcyclists tend to get a bad rap mainly due to speed but I have found them to be the best on the road for consideration and road awareness. There can of worms opened.

Ah what a thread, "the two wheeled menace" on our roads yet again...:pac:

I really had to LOL here at some of the posts.. Hilarious!! :D

Motortax doesn't entitle exclusive use of the roadways, so get that one out of your heads...Nor does it cover the costs of maintaining the roads network.
    After the total income from Motortax is spent, the rest of the costs for road building and maintenance are made up from public/private partnership, General taxation such as PAYE, USC, and from other forms taxation such as household charges and VAT, which we all pay regardless.

Insurance claims from any incidents caused by a bicycle user will be extremely minor in comparison to a potential accident caused by a careless driver, which can run into the €100's of thousands or indeed millions. Hence the insurance requirement.

Anyways.. it's ignorant close minded attitudes which are displayed on this thread which prevent a more general/utilitarian use of the bicycle from happening, and leave us with a cycle infrastructure which is 30 years behind the Dutch.

I'd do anything to avoid having to drive a car around Dublin at the weekends, it's not worth it due to the sheer volumes of motorised traffic, getting out on the roads just turns into stress and increased blood pressure. And some of the posters want to see more people in cars?

Get your heads checked! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

You have to love the mentality of "It's my road" from some road users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

corktina wrote: »
    That's not so. A Club local to me has events now and again on a flat section of the N72,,there is no advance warning, no marshalls and people wandering all over a main road ,children included. They are their own worst enemies. They could at least police their own events, show a bit of responsibility (and don't get me started on road-bowling...) If I started a Car Race on the public road, I'd soon get shut down if it wasn't done properly

The locals must love you so! :pac:

As mentioned earlier, the vast majority of adult cyclists pay 'road tax' (sic.)
    Nothing raises so much venom as cyclists, not tractors/white van men/micra drivers/bmw drivers. It's highly amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The locals must love you so! :pac:

As mentioned earlier, the vast majority of adult cyclists pay 'road tax' (sic.)
    Nothing raises so much venom as cyclists, not tractors/white van men/micra drivers/bmw drivers. It's highly amusing.

All they need do is be responsible and post Marshalls and signs. Not rocket science. I once followed two English MG drivers in near concours cars and both of them got hit by a bowl...they were not amused and nor would I be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah shure it's their culture, a share of them have warning signs up.
    I don't usually see marshalls. Prob the marshalls are following the game. Played on a lot of minor roads, I'd say the cops aren't bothered that much about the legality or otherwise of it.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    All they need do is be responsible and post Marshalls and signs. Not rocket science. I once followed two English MG drivers in near concours cars and both of them got hit by a bowl...they were not amused and nor would I be.

What's your viewpoint on "Sulky racing" on the motorways so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Probably because the proportion of idiot cyclists is all the greater. They want to be treated as equals, yet they want to disregard everyone else.

There's plenty of decent, safe cyclists out there. It's a pity then, that they have to pay for the rotten behaviour of so many of their brethren. If this thread is any measure of the attitude of cyclists, it's all one big joke to them.

Militant cyclists. Doing everything in their power to undermine the whole pro-cycling agenda. We WANT you to cycle. We WANT you to have a better cycling infrastructure. The thanks we get, is for you to go around causing as much obstruction and offence as possible, turning all that goodwill against you.

SOME of you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

No Pants wrote: »
    I suppose that while you were performing your critical evaluation of the cycle path you missed (a) the bus stop in the middle of it and (b) the fact that it comes to an abrupt end just before a junction, leaving the cyclist on a footpath.

No Pants, Op's question is: "Why do we tolerate them on our roads", i.e ALL the cyclists. 100% of them. He also clearly made the fair point that us cyclists (I'm one of them delinquents) don't pay "road tax".

So please stay on topic. There is no need to bring rational arguments into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

they have to pay
    Is there a collection going on?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    paddyland shouldn't really post when drunk.
    Did it occur to you that maybe I wasn't drunk, that maybe I was deliberately trying to rouse the more maniacal among our cycling friends? They certainly rose to the bait. No harm to get them spilling their guts on a public forum, to see just what kind of attitude exists out there among the militant cyclists. I have never seen such victimhood and defensiveness on any other forum, on any topic under the sun. You want to relax a bit lads, the whole world isn't out to GET you all.

Is there a collection going on?

It's the militant cyclists I am worried about! I fear a "Junta" on the roads will be carried out by them, trying to force society to implement there regime of having working cycle-paths!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Did it occur to you that maybe I wasn't drunk
    So that load of horse****e was sober output? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Did it occur to you that maybe I wasn't drunk, that maybe I was deliberately trying to rouse the more maniacal among our cycling friends?...

So there's no point taking any of your posts seriously then?
    Ok.

CPL 593H

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's the militant cyclists I am worried about! I fear a "Junta" on the roads will be carried out by them, trying to force society to implement there regime of having working cycle-paths!! :eek:
    You see, there's an issue right there, and it is this.

The entire cycling infrastructure that was put in over the past decade or so, no doubt at great expense, is an utter shambles. Designed by people who most definitely will never have to use it.

The militant cycling fraternity would purport to be in favour of proper cycle lanes. But therein lies the paradox. What the most militant cyclists are in favour of, is the right to cycle far too fast for the conditions, in full racing gear, without any consideration for other road users.

A properly designed and utilised cycle lane would ideally see large volumes of cyclists, many taken out of private cars, and sharing the road space with pedestrians, and other motor traffic, all travelling at relative rates. If such an infrastructure were to come to pass, the militant cyclists would gain no benefit, because the large numbers of ordinary, leisure and commuting cyclists would prevent the militant maniacs from cycling at full pelt, Giro-speed, as they so like to do. So they would end up out on the road, obstructing everyone else, and causing a danger, as they do anyway.

There is little enough road space in many cases for all the modes of transport that wish to use it. It is often difficult to put in proper cycle lanes. But in many cases, it is perfectly possible for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists coexist safely, given a properly designed environment.

The problem is, I see no room in that environment of pedestrians, regular cyclists and motorists, for the particular breed of speed freak cyclists that often dominate these debates. The only place for that is on properly designed racing tracks, and I am sure there are few enough of them around, too.

What we really need, is a properly designed cycling infrastructure for regular commuting and leisure cyclists, and then to banish the speed freak cyclists off the public highway altogether, and onto private racing tracks.

Now, let the dribbling continue...

Here's a handy cheat sheet.

Militants
    tahmasebi20130710210139793.jpg

Not militants
    Blenheim_Palace_British_cyclo_sportive_200931.jpg

Let me know if you'd like to go over that again.

Here's a handy cheat sheet...

I see a group of guys admiring som heavy artillery, and then I see a bunch of cyclists hogging what looks to be a very narrow road.

• Advertisement

I see a group of guys admiring som heavy artillery, and then I see a bunch of cyclists hogging what looks to be a very narrow road.

You're missing the point. If they're wearing long pants, they're militants. If they're wearing gloves, they're cyclists.

You're welcome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The entire cycling infrastructure that was put in over the past decade or so, no doubt at great expense, is an utter shambles. Designed by people who most definitely will never have to use it.
    Definitely
    The militant cycling fraternity would purport to be in favour of proper cycle lanes. But therein lies the paradox. What the most militant cyclists are in favour of, is the right to cycle far too fast for the conditions, in full racing gear, without any consideration for other road users.
    I am not sure who these militant cyclist who want cycle lanes are. I for one do not want cycle lanes at all with the rare exception that speed limits and junction design make it a requirement for safety reasons.
    A properly designed and utilised cycle lane would ideally see large volumes of cyclists, many taken out of private cars, and sharing the road space with pedestrians, and other motor traffic, all travelling at relative rates. If such an infrastructure were to come to pass, the militant cyclists would gain no benefit, because the large numbers of ordinary, leisure and commuting cyclists would prevent the militant maniacs from cycling at full pelt, Giro-speed, as they so like to do. So they would end up out on the road, obstructing everyone else, and causing a danger, as they do anyway.
    I cycle on the road, it is by far the safest place to be IMO. So your complaint is that I am cycling to fast for conditions but somehow I am holding people up. I can assure you after years of cycling in Dublin it is a rare day when a cyclist genuinely holds up traffic. It might seem that way until you hit the back of the car 20 metres in front of you but realistically, cyclists in a city do not obstruct traffic.
    There is little enough road space in many cases for all the modes of transport that wish to use it. It is often difficult to put in proper cycle lanes. But in many cases, it is perfectly possible for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists coexist safely, given a properly designed environment.
    Agreed, your starting to sound like one of those militant cyclists you were referring too.
    The problem is, I see no room in that environment of pedestrians, regular cyclists and motorists, for the particular breed of speed freak cyclists that often dominate these debates. The only place for that is on properly designed racing tracks, and I am sure there are few enough of them around, too.
    Who are these speed freaks? With the exception of the areas with the 30kmph speed limit, most cyclists cannot even get close to the speed limit, how does that make them speed freaks?
    What we really need, is a properly designed cycling infrastructure for regular commuting and leisure cyclists, and then to banish the speed freak cyclists off the public highway altogether, and onto private racing tracks.
    How are they going to get to work then?

cycle far too fast for the conditions, in full racing gear, without any consideration for other road users.
    Could you please elaborate on this? What speed, what conditions? Full racing gear is normally just a pair of shorts and a jersey, with maybe a cycling helmet. What would you prefer to see a cyclist wear? And please explain what lack of consideration to other road users you are referring to.

Oink wrote: »
    You're missing the point. If they're wearing long pants, they're militants. If they're wearing gloves, they're cyclists.

You're welcome.
    TBF, alot of cyclists have beards nowadays, it could be very confusing.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently that cyclists should start to wear turbans under their helmets. That way if there's an incident with a fellow road user, it's an instant hate crime. :)

Could you please elaborate on this? What speed, what conditions?

If he's implying that the junta cyclists go too fast for the 'conditions' (mortar fire, minefields, sharks, sharks with laser beams, who knows ?) then cars obviously are being reckless when driving on the same roads, and should be banned altogether.

I see a bunch of cyclists hogging what looks to be a very narrow road.
    The cyclists at the front are actually trackstanding because there's a car in front, just out of shot, holding them up.

I read somewhere recently that cyclists should start to wear turbans under their helmets. That way if there's an incident with a fellow road user, it's an instant hate crime. :)
    Personally I think that everytime there is a minor incident, a non involved road user or pedestrian should walk over and hug the angriest party and then everyone else should chime in with the chorus of "Why can't we be friends", then both parties must sit down over a cup of tea or coffee (no haters either way) and a slice of cake of their choice and discuss why the incident took place. After this, they can then discuss with the other party the best ways for them both to avoid getting into such situations. Shake hands, see that we are all just people ad hopefully the next time they see each other, the only thing that will meet is a friendly glance with a mild mannered wave.

Everyone should also be required, by law, to leave on time with a minimum of 15 minutes extra time to account for these incidences. If everyone left 15 minutes earlier than they needed to, I imagine alot of these incidents would never take place.

Well that's different. If they have facial hair, it's probably best to assume they're dodgy, just to be safe.

Take me for example. I have facial hair at the moment, and I thoroughly deserve any abuse I get for it. So if I see another beardo weirdo like me on a bike when I'm driving my car, they're fair game.

Everyone should also be required, by law, to leave on time with a minimum of 15 minutes extra time to account for these incidences. If everyone left 15 minutes earlier than they needed to, I imagine alot of these incidents would never take place.
    There's some merit to that. My work day is pretty flexible, so I don't have the pressure to be there at a certain time. I generally start at 07:00 so I can leave earlier, but 07:30 is no big deal, or even 08:00.

I hate feeling pressed for time, so I tend to avoid it. It only ever occurs when I'm travelling for work. I agree that it makes every minor inconvenience seem like a massive personal insult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

You see, there's an issue right there, and it is this.

Now, let the dribbling continue...

What on earth are you talking about?

Could you please elaborate on this? What speed, what conditions?
    Cyclists in full yellow warrior outfit storming through traffic light junctions and pedestrian crossings at full pelt when everyone else is stopped for one thing.

Cyclists who race to get into a narrow bus lane in front of a bus, and then stop pedalling, is another thing.

Cyclists going far too fast on public park footpaths and forest trails, where there are pedestrians, children, slow cyclists and dogs about.

Cyclists who do not leave adequate space between themselves and pedestrian and other traffic, despite admonishing everyone else for not leaving them space.

Cyclists who practice militant hypocrisy, loudly remonstrating against anyone who they feel infringes on their divine right to cycle as they please, but rubbish anyone who suggests there might be occasions when they should consider others.

Cyclists who travel in long lines and packs on busy country roads, leaving no possibility to safely overtake, and allowing long queues of traffic build up behind, until a hazardous situation develops where somebody does decide to overtake dangerously, and put everyone at risk. It is unfair, for example, to hold up traffic for miles on winding country roads such as the Roundwood road. Spread out, and let traffic pass when it is safe to do so. If you don't let them pass when it is safe, then someone will try to pass when it isn't safe.

The same cyclists who pace along at 15-20kph in a long line on a country road, will then storm through a narrow village, where there are pedestrians, parked cars, and all kinds of distraction about. Cyclists are sometimes hard to see. Your speed should be in relation to your ability to be seen, and to avoid and be avoided.

Now go on and have your little huff, as I am signing out.

Don't go, you're great fun.

Cyclists in full yellow warrior outfit storming etc.
    etc.
    etc.

No no no no no, that's not what the thread is about.

Let me quote the OP: “Cyclists Why” "Why do we tolerate them on our roads".

=> Not "the ones who are cycling dangerously".
    => Not "the idiots on a bike"

The OP is about cyclists. All of them. You need to read the OP if you are going to give an opinion here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Luca Paolini is rocking quite a beard in the Giro at the moment. He's definitely a militant. Actually, I wonder if the OP was referring to Paolini's antics in Dublin 2 weeks ago???

20_Luca_Paolini_is_one_rider_you_can_pick_out_of_a_crowd..jpg

Cyclists in full yellow warrior outfit storming through traffic light junctions and pedestrian crossings at full pelt when everyone else is stopped for one thing.
    Ignoring the "yellow warrior" comment, which is irrelevant, I assume that you're referring to traffic being stopped at a red light. In which case the cyclist should stop and no one here would disagree with that. However, if you mean the traffic is stopped due to congestion and the light is still green, then they're free to proceed.
    Cyclists who race to get into a narrow bus lane in front of a bus, and then stop pedalling, is another thing.
    Haven't seen this happen, but maybe it does. Cyclists can get tired.
    Cyclists going far too fast on public park footpaths and forest trails, where there are pedestrians, children, slow cyclists and dogs about.
    Agree with this one myself, although I tend to stay away from parks when on the bike so I don't see it. The Phoenix park is a bad example as most of the pedestrians are in the supposed cycle lane.
    Cyclists who do not leave adequate space between themselves and pedestrian and other traffic, despite admonishing everyone else for not leaving them space.
    Agreed.
    Cyclists who practice militant hypocrisy, loudly remonstrating against anyone who they feel infringes on their divine right to cycle as they please, but rubbish anyone who suggests there might be occasions when they should consider others.
    Don't know what you're referring to here, so I'll leave it for someone else.
    Cyclists who travel in long lines and packs on busy country roads, leaving no possibility to safely overtake, and allowing long queues of traffic build up behind, until a hazardous situation develops where somebody does decide to overtake dangerously, and put everyone at risk. It is unfair, for example, to hold up traffic for miles on winding country roads such as the Roundwood road. Spread out, and let traffic pass when it is safe to do so. If you don't let them pass when it is safe, then someone will try to pass when it isn't safe.
    I fail to see how this is the fault of the cyclist(s). If someone attempts an overtake and it is not safe, then it is their fault.
    The same cyclists who pace along at 15-20kph in a long line on a country road, will then storm through a narrow village, where there are pedestrians, parked cars, and all kinds of distraction about. Cyclists are sometimes hard to see. Your speed should be in relation to your ability to be seen, and to avoid and be avoided.
    Cyclists are not hard to see if you look. The problem you're describing here is people in the villages not paying attention to what they're doing and then wanting to blame someone else for their own lack of attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A red beard. Most likely a commie too.

Just to turn this thread on its head; Cyclists why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭SeanW

endacl wrote: »
    Surely that's just common sense, no matter what sort of road you live on...?
    I'm not sure what one way roads you are on, but only once in my entire lifetime have I seen a motorist driving the wrong way down a one way street. As a pedestrian, it is simply not something that I consider it necessary to be concerned with, nor something that I plan for or expect on a day to day basis.
    Cyclists on the other hand ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The thing is, I would guess most cyclists do pay road tax.

Just because you have paid a tax to use ONE vehicle on a road does not give you the right to use a second vehicle based on having paid that tax.

Try running a second motor car on the road on the assumption that you've paid tax already on the car in the driveway and see how far it gets you in the excuse department.

Yes we have all agreed it's not road tax because it's called motor tax but you are still required to have the tax paid and displayed before you can even leave the vehicle on a public road for a year without so much as starting the motor, therefore it is a defacto road tax.

SeanW wrote: »
    I'm not sure what one way roads you are on, but only once in my entire lifetime have I seen a motorist driving the wrong way down a one way street. As a pedestrian, it is simply not something that I consider it necessary to be concerned with, nor something that I plan for or expect on a day to day basis.
    I've seen it too often to count. Not in Dublin mind, most were in Monaghan, with some in Carlow and Portadown, centre of law and order that it is.

Motorcyclistsin full yellow warrior outfit storming through traffic light junctions and pedestrian crossings at full pelt when everyone else is stopped for one thing.

Taxi drivers who race to get into a narrow bus lane in front of a bus, and then stop moving, is another thing.

Horses going far too fast on public park footpaths and forest trails, where there are pedestrians, children, slow cyclists and dogs about.

School run MPV drivers who do not leave adequate space between themselves and pedestrian and other traffic, despite admonishing everyone else for not leaving them space.

Boy-Racers who practice militant hypocrisy, loudly remonstrating against anyone who they feel infringes on their divine right to drive as they please, but rubbish anyone who suggests there might be occasions when they should consider others.

Farmers in Tractors who travel in long lines and packs on busy country roads, leaving no possibility to safely overtake, and allowing long queues of traffic build up behind, until a hazardous situation develops where somebody does decide to overtake dangerously, and put everyone at risk. It is unfair, for example, to hold up traffic for miles on winding country roads such as the Roundwood road. Spread out, and let traffic pass when it is safe to do so. If you don't let them pass when it is safe, then someone will try to pass when it isn't safe.

The same elderly car drivers who pace along at 15-20kph in a long line on a country road, will then storm through a narrow village, where there are pedestrians, parked cars, and all kinds of distraction about. Elderly drivers find it sometimes hard to see. Your speed should be in relation to your ability to be seen, and to avoid and be avoided.

Fixed that for you.. So you see it's all relative.. but don't let that stand in the way of a good Rant! :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Here's a handy cheat sheet.

Militants Not breaking the law assuming they are in somewhere like Afghanistan
    tahmasebi20130710210139793.jpg

Not militants Breaking the law by cycling more than 2 abreast and obstructing the road
    Blenheim_Palace_British_cyclo_sportive_200931.jpg

FYP

endacl wrote: »
    A red beard. Most likely a commie too.
    I am not a communist, haven't paid my dues this year yet.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Try running a second motor car on the road on the assumption that you've paid tax already on the car in the driveway and see how far it gets you in the excuse department.
    Considering the number of cars that are english plated but have been driving in and out of my workplaces car park for over a year, alongside the number of cars that just simply have not paid (regardless of the SORN system). I don't think an excuse is necessary, apparently it only matters if there is a checkpoint and I have come across so few of them in my time in Dublin that my car would have paid for itself 10 times over if i never paid road tax. Not only does my motor tax contribute to the general tax pool, so does my USC, my PAYE, my VAT etc. All of which I see sapped away on councils repairing roads that do not need repair at the end of the fiscal year to use up the money in case it is not issued again.

SeanW wrote: »

Depends which hand you're talking about.

• Advertisement

cycling more than 2 abreast
    Quite an assumption you've made there.
    obstructing the road
    In rather the same way that a car would if using the same road. Are you saying that it's illegal for a car to be using that road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Hi. I've only read the first few posts in this thread and now I feel the need to rant about road users in general. Apologies for vague off-topicness.

No point in differentiating based on what kind of vehicle they're using - some people are just idiots with no idea how to share a road.

In the last couple of weeks in Dublin, I've had at least 3 motorists cut across my lane or pull to a halt right in the cycle lane, forcing me to suddenly stop to avoid collision;

Numerous pedestrians happily step right onto the road without even glancing to the right. They seem to think that if there are no cars audibly approaching, turning their necks a few degrees to check for other traffic is just too much bother. Traffic was backed up at a junction around Thomas St earlier today, I was zipping by towards a nice green light but had to stop for an idiot woman dragging her son across the street without looking.

I was walking on the footpath on Emmet Rd recently, two abreast with a friend, carrying a large pizza box and a bag of groceries. A scrotebag cyclist sped right by me on the path, from behind. And then he had the gall to scold me, saying that he could have knocked the pizza out of my hands! I pointed out that he had a road while we had the path, and he just replied "road's for cars!" as he cycled off. Absolutely unbelievable.

Rant over. Back to topic - rar rar cyclists rar etc.

FYP
    Its a laneway, there is no vehicle that you can use on that road that does not obstruct oncoming traffic to some degree, unless of course, those men are in fact 12 foot tall and on giant bicycles, in which case I apologise, they are clearly obstructing the road, not laneway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

@Paddyland, spot on with everything you have said.

I'm a cyclist but I'm also a driver. Why do cyclists always assume drivers don't cycle? That it's us versus them? Lets face it, the vast majority of cyclists have an attitude problem. And yes, I can make a sweeping general statement like that because its a fact, period, no arguing about it. Being a cyclist myself I just accept that this is true. All cyclists should have to take lessons and pass a test on how not be a dick head on the road. It'll make everyone's journey a lot more pleasant, mainly their own. And lycra should be banned. You might as well be wearing a sign on your back saying "dick head up ahead".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

FYP

I cant see which cyclist is cycling two abreast the first three seem to be single file and after that i cant make out if any are cycling two abreast.

Also you can cycle more than two abreast when overtaking, so even if we did know that there were three abreast we would need more than that photo to be able to identify any law breaking.
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement