Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird situation with new house

Options
  • 25-05-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Little bit of a weird question!

My partner and I are expecting a baby so have been searching high and low for a nice new home to rent. We finally found one we really like. Met the landlord who was really nice, sent on our work details (references, pay info, the usual stuff).

The landlord called me back and left a message to say he and his wife were happy to have us move in and to call him to arrange lease, deposit, keys etc. I called back but got their voicemail. I left a message asking them to call me back and sent a text confirming that we were still happy to take the house.

We got no response, and I tried calling again the next day but still no answer. I get that it's the weekend and I don't mind if they're busy but am a little anxious since no deposit or keys have been exchanged. I was so relieved me found somewhere but the lack of contact since has me a little worried.

Do you think they've changed their mind and are just not telling us? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure, but it's one thing you may have to keep in mind; if they can't be contacted at the weekend now, should something break in the future at the weekend, they may not be contactable then either. It may just be a once off, but if their excuse for not answering the phone seems a bit silly, it's something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Well, with the crazy renting situation happening in Dublin (I assume you are in Dublin) there is always the likely possibility that the landlord has leased it out to someone else (or should I say in the process)

Sure, take this forum, you can read posts about people offering to pay MORE than the asking price in rent. So who is the Landlord gonna go with.

I say give it until Tuesday. If you don't hear anything back by then. Sadly, you got your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Yeah you both make good points, and I've thought about them myself already. They called to arrange the deposit, I called back within an hour. It just seems crazy to go all non contactable that quickly and then to not get back to us over a 24 hour period is odd. I'll give it til tomorrow and then will start the search for a new place if they haven't been in touch :(

Thanks for the posts!

Advertisement