Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass grave 800 babies in Tuam

Options
  • 25-05-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

I find this really disturbing.
    This is recent. How is it even possible? The church and those who work for it have so many questions to answer and still have so many supporters.. I just don't understand how such a cruel , inhuman and abusive organisation is still allowed not only to exist , but to actually prevail over the majority of our schools..

This story makes me sick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭mosstin

dharma200 wrote: »
    I find this really disturbing.
    This is recent. How is it even possible? The church and those who work for it have so many questions to answer and still have so many supporters.. I just don't understand how such a cruel , inhuman and abusive organisation is still allowed not only to exist , but to actually prevail over the majority of our schools..

This story makes me sick.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

jh9gdf.png

sorry no direct link to article.....

'As many as 796 children are believed to have been interred in the concrete tank in Tuam in Galway between 1925 and 1961.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Where abouts in Tuam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 SunRain

RIP little ones, that is the saddest thing i have ever read.

I just don't understand how such a cruel , inhuman and abusive organisation is still allowed not only to exist , but to actually prevail over the majority of our schools.

Agree with this, the Roman catholic church still is and always has been a sick dysfunctional criminal organisation. When I see parents baptising and christening their children these days I can only think that they are (a) stupid or (b) brainwashed or (c) cowardly or all three.

There is a small children's graveyard (cillín) near me for unbaptised babies. A few stones mark their graves in the middle of nowhere. It always makes me sad.

Schools still ask for baptismal certs I mean omg.... Just so angry, so much hurt and crimes against humanity... But it doesn't seem to be acknowledged...

I am not sure of the actual location, next to the place where the unmarried mothers were kept wherever that is... I truly hope that some sort of acknowledgement is made for the hideous suffering these women went through, and the horrific way in which these bodies were disposed......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The first question I would always ask is whether these babies died of "natural causes". I have long suspected that the church did all they could to "get rid" of babies born out of wedlock. Some were "exported" or put up for adoption but not all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Schools still ask for baptismal certs I mean omg....

well I hope you told your election candidates to do all they can to speed up the secularisation of our schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Where abouts in Tuam?

Up Athenry/Dublin road side of the town AFAIK

Why is this not reported more?

Not sure. It is easier to read the article here;
    http://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-irish-mail-on-sunday

It does sound like these children were neglected badly.

I have no idea.. people are desensitised to the depths of depravity and inhuman treatment that were dished out by the catholic church and its 'staff'....

Very sad and hope this is looked into more and that someone is held accountable...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It looks like it was babies with deformities? That's how romans dealt with unwanted babies over 2000 years ago too, just throw them away to perish. The church showing where it's routes really lie.

I think if Jesus could come back and see the church that operates in his name he'd reconsider the whole cruxifiction thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

A mass grave with 800 babies?
    It's like something from Nazi Germany.
    What a vile, vile organisation.

CPL 593H

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Erm, not to be a stickler for the facts, but is the article alleging that these children were killed by the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Agree with this, the Roman catholic church still is and always has been a sick dysfunctional criminal organisation. When I see parents baptising and christening their children these days I can only think that they are (a) stupid or (b) brainwashed or (c) cowardly or all three.

There is a small children's graveyard (cillín) near me for unbaptised babies. A few stones mark their graves in the middle of nowhere. It always makes me sad.

Last year the OTS (Old Tuam Society) began a project in Tuam to identify cillins and lisheens in the town and its hinterland. The cillin or lisheen is examined by an expert and is then recorded as a national monument. This means that it then becomes illegal for anybody or organisation to damage it in any way. Some cillins/lisheens have been found to be a thousand years old and were still in use in the 1960's. As graves, they should be protected and those interred within should be left undisturbed.
    Sadly, the location of many of these graves is now unknown because the knowledge has died with our old folk. Before any more are lost, we need to discover where they are and protect them. Any information you, or indeed anybody else, have regarding the location of known or suspected cillins or lisheens would be most welcome.
    Please feel free to PM details to me and I'll ensure the information is acted upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Erm, not to be a stickler for the facts, but is the article alleging that these children were killed by the church?

Curious that none of the main papers are reporting this?
    Fact checking maybe?

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Mass-grave-of-up-to-800-dead-babies-exposed-in-County-Galway-.html

The staggering mortality rate of “The Home” was apparently replicated elsewhere in Ireland.

The Sean Ross Mother and Baby Home, portrayed in the award winning film “Philomena” this year, opened in Roscrea, County Tipperary in 1930. In its first year of operation 60 babies died out of a total of 120, a fifty percent infant mortality rate, more than four times higher than in the general population at the time.

Statistics show a quarter of all babies born outside marriage in the 1930’s in Ireland died before their first birthdays. As observers have remarked elsewhere, these were infant death rates from the 17th century.

In one year alone in the mid 1940’s in the Bessborough Mother and Baby Home in County Cork, out of the 180 babies born 100 died.

Given the shockingly high mortality rates, it is hard not to conclude that the destabilizing threat these children represented to Irish society and its conservative religious ethos may have contributed to their untimely demise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

And a lot of it authorized by the state, or a blind eye turned to its existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The church's conduct in such matters is inexcusable.
    But what's even worse, is that parents sent their own daughters to those institutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Addle wrote: »
    The church's conduct in such matters is inexcusable.
    But what's even worse, is that parents sent their own daughters to those institutions
    I think it's easy to be very critical of the parents from a modern day perspective but this was a very poor and very catholic Ireland in the early half 20th century. Most young women's future prospects were solely defined by marriage with their families struggling to feed extra mouths. At the same time the influence and control of the catholic church was enormous. I'm not trying to absolve the families of blame, just to say that it was the the way things were done at the time.

Personally, I've hit the point where I'm questioning whether I should even enter a church for weddings or funerals anymore. The organisation truly disgusts me and that's a very hard response to get from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Personally, I've hit the point where I'm questioning whether I should even enter a church for weddings or funerals anymore. The organisation truly disgusts me and that's a very hard response to get from me.
    I was at that point a few years ago, softened a bit and have been to some weddings/christenings.

But that story has really affected me. Can't see myself setting foot in a church apart from a funeral, and even at that I could see myself waiting outside.

Completely sickened after reading that, and this
    http://theraggedwagon.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/new-evidence-that-irish-children-were-murdered/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

There's a grave for unbaptised children on my neighbours land. All that marks each grave is a stone left on top of it. My dad's brother and sister who died at birth are buried there. It's so sad to think of those poor children.

On Newstalk tonight;

The Taoiseach is being asked to initiate an inquiry into the deaths of newborns and young infants at mother and baby homes.

It comes after claims that the remains of almost 800 babies were buried in a mass grave next to a home for unmarried mothers in Tuam, Co. Galway between 1925 and 1961.

The Tuam Mother and Baby Home was run by the Bons Secours nuns.
    The Adoption Rights Alliance group says it has anecdotal evidence that babies with disabilities or other health issues - which made them unlikely to be adopted overseas - were not cared for properly and were allowed to die.

Susan Lohan is the co-founder of Adoption Rights Alliance. She says that amateur research into similar homes in Ireland and Britain is highlighting concerns that need to be investigated fully.

She says such an investigation into the homes is needed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

So saddening.

How were babies with deformities treated in general during that period?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 funkee

I agree with the guy who posted this video that this is occult, rituals etc.

YouTube (vowel):

"The Occult - Mass Grave of 800 Babies in Galway, Ireland. RTE 6pm News".

(This is the RTE story from the 6pm news Friday 30th 2014.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

if this was known about why is this coming up now ? it seems to be related to that womens research and talk of unregistered deaths but its not clear why now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 funkee

Good question. I think the Galway lady just got some traction in local media and the Mail picked up on it.

Still no story in the Times, Independent etc etc.

And no talk of an investigation!

Advertisement