Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass grave 800 babies in Tuam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Ineedaname wrote: »
    There's a grave for unbaptised children on my neighbours land. All that marks each grave is a stone left on top of it. My dad's brother and sister who died at birth are buried there. It's so sad to think of those poor children.

I'm reposting the following from Post number 19 in case you haven't read it, thanks:

Last year the OTS (Old Tuam Society) began a project in Tuam to identify cillins and lisheens in the town and its hinterland. The cillin or lisheen is examined by an expert and is then recorded as a national monument. This means that it then becomes illegal for anybody or organisation to damage it in any way. Some cillins/lisheens have been found to be a thousand years old and were still in use in the 1960's. As graves, they should be protected and those interred within should be left undisturbed.
    Sadly, the location of many of these graves is now unknown because the knowledge has died with our old folk. Before any more are lost, we need to discover where they are and protect them. Any information you, or indeed anybody else, have regarding the location of known or suspected cillins or lisheens would be most welcome.
    Please feel free to PM details to me and I'll ensure the information is acted upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the papers are covering it now and rte did piece today and said all the names are known and will be put on grave stone, so no unregistered deaths ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mr Druse

This is such sad news. How the Soul's of the children suffer at the hands of the one's who were be supposed to look after them. The hypocrisy is staggering.
    Those children were not SALEABLE. This is and has always been the way with the CC. Money, thats all the holy roman empire is interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

This story sickens me. Any word from the Archbishop of Tuam all week or are they hoping it will blow over?

And I suppose the Catholic apologists will be out soon saying it was a "few bad eggs".

And I wonder what the so called pro-life activists think of it all.

I rarely go into a Roman catholic church these days, funerals/weddings only, but right now, I just want to burn one down. Sick criminal organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

funkee wrote: »
    I agree with the guy who posted this video that this is occult, rituals etc.
    I assume you mean a cult other than the catholic church. If it was one or two babies I could see the argument, 800 babies is death on an industrial scale, no other cult can operate in such a large way in this country, it's all tied down by the catholic church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 funkee

Think you should google occult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

bagels wrote: »
    I'm reposting the following from Post number 19 in case you haven't read it, thanks:

Last year the OTS (Old Tuam Society) began a project in Tuam to identify cillins and lisheens in the town and its hinterland. The cillin or lisheen is examined by an expert and is then recorded as a national monument. This means that it then becomes illegal for anybody or organisation to damage it in any way. Some cillins/lisheens have been found to be a thousand years old and were still in use in the 1960's. As graves, they should be protected and those interred within should be left undisturbed.
    Sadly, the location of many of these graves is now unknown because the knowledge has died with our old folk. Before any more are lost, we need to discover where they are and protect them. Any information you, or indeed anybody else, have regarding the location of known or suspected cillins or lisheens would be most welcome.
    Please feel free to PM details to me and I'll ensure the information is acted upon.

Well said bagels and completely agree, furthermore, I feel it’s our duty as Irish descendents to become custodians of these sites and preserve them for future generations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I see this issue was brought up in the Seanad by Senator Naughton;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TelHCLSXoQ

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lousqueeza

What the? Why haven't I heard about this on the news or radio? How can this have happened without a HUGE almighty fuss being made about it? This is absolutely horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Australian paper now picked up on it. http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/skeletons-of-800-babies-infants-believed-to-be-buried-at-bon-secours-sisters-site/story-fnh81p7g-1226939959324

I cannot believe that nothing has been done or no police investigation. This is recent and relatives etc are still alive so the only reason i can think of for nothing getting done is the government is afraid it will have to pay out to the victims of this "home".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Lousqueeza

Just been speaking to my husband about it and he's heard talk of getting the UN in as the Irish government are so reluctant to sort these messes out. I can't beleive this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Can anyone who care about this please sign and share this petition demanding a full investigation into the children's deaths.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Frances_Fitzgerald_Irish_Minister_for_Justice_and_Equality_A_full_Gardai_investigation_into_the_mass_grave_in_Tuam_Co_Ga/

funkee wrote: »
    Think you should google occult.
    Of, relating to, or dealing with supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena.

Or maybe you are more referring to this bit..
    Hidden from view; concealed.
    Which the church has been trying to do since it hijacked the message of an ancient Jewish scholar. They wanted to restrict peoples access to the bible so they could control the message. Look at the stuff they're still trying to hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

iguana wrote: »
    Can anyone who care about this please sign and share this petition demanding a full investigation into the children's deaths.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Frances_Fitzgerald_Irish_Minister_for_Justice_and_Equality_A_full_Gardai_investigation_into_the_mass_grave_in_Tuam_Co_Ga/

Petition at 600 signatures in only a few hours. Please support.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Hopefully ti will reach the 10000... truly shocking and the amount of sweeping under the carpet going on is unreal.. whoever that was that was suggesting if there is no public enquiry perhaps a 'social project' like its some sort of high school project worthy... I hope the pressure is on.. looks like many of these children were pretty much left to starve to death... not one single disabled child was adopted out from that place.... :(

dharma200 wrote: »
    Hopefully ti will reach the 10000... truly shocking and the amount of sweeping under the carpet going on is unreal..
    Considering this happened in living memory, meaning the people that did this could very well still be alive, the government is probably giving the church a chance to relocate the people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ScumLord wrote: »
    Considering this happened in living memory, meaning the people that did this could very well still be alive, the government is probably giving the church a chance to relocate the people involved.

Meaning the people who got dumped with the children that no one else wanted?

How many of you who grew up in Tuam have asked your parents and grandparents why the did nothing about it? (Clearly people knew: http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Galway-historian-reveals-truth-behind-800-orphans-in-mass-grave.html)

Why wasn't the Irish state providing care for disabled children by the 1960s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Petition at 600 signatures in only a few hours. Please support.

4,700 signatures already, impressive.

Meaning the people who got dumped with the children that no one else wanted?
    No, I mean the people who let these children died and decided to throw them in an unmarked hole are probably still alive and actively involved in the church.
    How many of you who grew up in Tuam have asked your parents and grandparents why the did nothing about it? (Clearly people knew: http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Galway-historian-reveals-truth-behind-800-orphans-in-mass-grave.html)
    You have to apreaciate the level of opression and fear the church used against the general population. People had little to no science to offer an alternative to the churches dogma, we were an isolated island where the church controlled every aspect of our culture. People believed they'd suffer eternal damnation for going against the church. It's easy for us to dismiss the idea of eternal damnation now but when it's being drilled into you every day of your life it's hard to go against that level of propaganda.
    We were practically a third world country. As well as the awful stuff that generation did drag Ireland into the modern world.

Why is this not reported more?

More than what?

Here's an article from last October

http://connachttribune.ie/memorial-for-788-babies-buried-in-tuam-orphanage/

• Advertisement

Today it was suggested that there will be no police enquiry as they dont know its the children of the home and that they could be an ancient burial ground. Thats what was said by philip boucher hayes on twitter

Philip Boucher-Hayes @boucherhayes  ·  3h
    Garda statent made to me on #tuambabies:
    "... they are historical burials going back to Famine times, there is no suggestion of any... 1/3

"....of any impropiety and there is no Garda investigation. Also there is no confirmation from any source that there are ..." 2/3

"... there are between 750 and 800 bodies present." 3/3

To me thats complete and utter b*ll*x! I don't think they had septic tanks bank during the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Saw the 9 o'clock news

The political point scoring going on today is a new low. Absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

They were, the state was paying the nuns above the average industrial wage for each person in their custody. And the nuns not only wanted them, they put out for tender to have the women and their children incarcerated with them. This was big, highly profitable business. Especially as they could put the women to work servicing their laundry contracts and sell the healthy, cute babies.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your attempt to defend the disgustingly indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I have seen some apologists at work, but this issue has really wormed them out.... Reading things like the above..... Blaming the. Women, their families, the state, doctors, nurses etc....
    Oh let's wait and see what the investigation says lol....... Why weren't the state looking after them...... The state was PAYING the church to do so, the church was taking money for each and every women.... Did they not read their own rules? Did they have no morals atall......? Obviously not.... Illegitimate children were the scum of the earth, the mothers the scum, slaves, captives. Along with the rape and torture of many many children I. Tuam and all round the country, and we still seek to blame the families, the mothers, the state.... For goodness sake, those who are part of this church need to take their glasses off, remove the roses and smell the dank stench of crimes against humanity, perpetrated by many who are still swanning around, being looked after... These people are criminals, there are hundreds of them... Thousands worldwide.., and yet we still have apologists who want to blame others, or stall the reality, or defend the defenseless... I would be ashamed to be catholic right now, to have given them any money, how anyone can remain part of this organisation in the name of god astounds me.

iguana wrote: »
    sell the healthy, cute babies.

Can you give us a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/the-legacy-of-church-run-mother-and-baby-homes-in-ireland-98749144-237778411.html

They sold them as an "adoptions" to America from what I can gather, although it doesn't say the adoption fee in the article I would presume that there was some type of "administration" fee.
    I am open to be corrected on my presumtion.

Wait found a link here:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/19/catholic-church-sold-child

Great link from the Guardian - but it's a bit short of evidence for the "sold" claim. (While I don't doubt that there were semi-compulsory donations - much like the brown envelopes of today - it was hardly a contract of sale with a refund if the baby got sick etc.)

Also I note some other choice quotes:
    "her family had Philomena "put away" with the nuns"
    "Afterwards, her father would not take her back because ... So in the end the church dispatched her to work at one of its homes for delinquent boys in Liverpool. Philomena trained as a nurse,"

I have absolutely no doubt that there is blood on the hands of the people running the mother-and-baby homes, and the state officials who failed to regulate them properly.

But it is equally on the hands of the families who send young women there. And on the educated, professional members of society who knew what was going on, but did nothing about it. Eg the doctors and state officials who signed the death certificates and registers that enable us to know exactly how many children died at the Tuam home.

Just FYI, this made front page news in the US yesterday. I can’t post the link but it was on Yahoo

this the one teabagmania? http://news.yahoo.com/800-babies-buried-septic-tank-irish-home-unmarried-143858913.html

Human trafficking, child abuse and willful neglect leading to death, those are serious crimes and it takes a special kind of person to do it, the nuns did not have guns held to their heads.

• Advertisement

yes that's it, thank you for posting it.

Advertisement