Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly Elected Council

Options
  • 25-05-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I know that the counts haven't all finished yet, but does anyone have any thoughts on what direction the new council will take. It's a bit more relevant this time around given the (modest) increase in powers for councils.

I would be in favour of much more control by DCC and was disappointed that there was no plebiscite on a mayor, as I think overall these would help foster a sense of direction or purpose. I have never seen any overall goal for Dublin put forward.

There are a lot more Sinn Féinn councillors now and a sprinkling of Greens, so this is largely an unknown entity, is there a likely direction Dublin will be taken in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I wouldn't like to be a business owner terrified of the first rates bill from this council that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

IRcolm wrote: »
    I know that the counts haven't all finished yet, but does anyone have any thoughts on what direction the new council will take. It's a bit more relevant this time around given the (modest) increase in powers for councils.

I would be in favour of much more control by DCC and was disappointed that there was no plebiscite on a mayor, as I think overall these would help foster a sense of direction or purpose. I have never seen any overall goal for Dublin put forward.

There are a lot more Sinn Féinn councillors now and a sprinkling of Greens, so this is largely an unknown entity, is there a likely direction Dublin will be taken in?

There was a proposed plebiscite for a directly elected Mayor over the whole of Dublin but Fingal rejected it. It would have been interesting to see how it would have panned out but I suppose we could have run the risk of someone like Bertie Ahern getting in.

The local authority system in this country needs a complete overhaul and not just merging city/county councils or adding extra seats - too often the work of councillors/the council itself can be held up or put off because there is no collaboration or co-operation with other stakeholders such as HSE or the Gardaí, Dept of Education etc; The UK have the right idea. Local Government is just that. All decisions affecting a locality are made locally by all local stakeholders.
    We cannot even align areas/regions to ensure a "joined up" approach - for example the HSE Dublin North East incorporates Dublin (north of the Liffey, Fingal, Cavan, Meath & Monaghan) the Gardaí cover the whole of county Dublin.
    So where do we go from here? Mr Hogan its over to you...

Advertisement