Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has your interest in TV shows intensified or waned over the last few years

• 25-05-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

i was wondering what way peoples interest is these days with tv, i find im watching more shows than ever and simply do not have the time to watch them, even though id like the show it becoming a chore to keep up with everything on,

i have over 100 hours of tv backed up that i have to get through and that's after deleting 4-6 shows that i was thinking of watching,

do people think there is to much TV available these days that it more or less impossible to watch everything that you might be interested in,

i watch about 40-50 different TV shows over the course of the year, with a lot of 10-12-16-20-24 episode seasons, so their all spread out but the majority air from september to may,

but even with that viewing there are still 5-6 more shows i really want to watch but their 2-4 seasons in and i cant watch whats coming in by the week,

my interest seems to be waning over the last year or two and im more or less in a rut that i cant seem to get out of by just simply cutting shows from my viewing, but all the shows i watch i enjoy to an extent, i wouldnt continue to watch a show that i didnt enjoy, but like it said, it really is starting to become a very annoying chore,

i know its first world problems and all that, but do the folks here feel the same,

Is your interest Intesifying, waning or keeping a steady pace 24 votes

Yeah my interest is waning, to much to get through
    0% 0 votes
    I'm watching more and more each year, can't get enough
    37% 9 votes
    I've kept my viewing limited to a certain amount of shows
    62% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I've decided to start cutting shows I watch starting with shows coming back during the summer like Suits and Graceland. Will watch True Blood as it's the final season.
    I dropped nearly all procedurals last season and next to go will be shows I've been watching just because I've watched so many eps.
    Then I'll try and clear the backlog I have of the last 2 seasons of Breaking Bad and a few final season of shows I have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

I've just finished watching Grimm Revolution and Hannibal... I'm also watching The walking dead Da Vinci's Demons and Bates Motel
    I limit it to 6 at a time so i pick up 3 new ones shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

My interest has dropped dramatically over the last year or two. I remember when I'd have maybe 15 shows during the year and I even found that a chore. Just decided to cut everything that doesn't really hold my interest.

Think all I have at the moment is The Walking Dead, Penny Dreadful, Game of Thrones and Supernatural.

Had Homeland but the last season just bored the arse of me, but the last few episodes picked up so will give it's next season a go.

I'm not as well-organised as I used to be and that has impacted my viewing habits. Having stuff spread across 3 hard drives that have to be plugged in and out and switched makes it hard to be bothered every day. Using a USB stick is a short-term solution and backlogs build up quickly. Planning on getting an awful lot of stuff watched this summer though.

Certainly IMO the last few years have been very poor for new shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I am such a tv junkie and am actually running out of tv series to watch including my backlog of shows
    the good/bad thing is that with downloads you don't have to watch ads and can generally watch multiples of a show in one sitting
    also I watch my shows on the train as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Probably much the same. For every show I drop, I'm generally picking up a new one or waiting for it to start (as per thread I started yesterday where I'm looking for even more).
    I've even taken to looking at shows that are a few seasons in such as "White Collar, "Covert Affairs" and "Borgen" despite it meaning there's a good few episodes to watch.
    What I am doing though is limiting my viewing time otherwise I'll spend too much of my free time on shows. It also frees me up to do other things, which is important for the sake of balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't think my interest has waned, I do think I go through periods of that though, it always helps for me to sit down and look at what I really want to watch and what I really don't, I have no problem cutting shows that aren't doing it for me anymore and I think the cull really helps.

I have a ridiculous amount of shows on the go at any one time so they can't all be winners. I really like this time of year as I seem to get it down to a really manageable number. I made the decision last year that binge watching was my favourite way to consume shows and only a select few would be watched week to week in order to avoid spoilers. I'm going to be keeping this up, it works much better for me, I can get a good grasp on storylines etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

I get through quite a few shows really. I try to watch anything that sounds interesting when it shows up. Right now I've got a pretty big backlog but one thing I've found is that there are so many good shows out there that if something isn't doing it for me, I've no problem leaving it behind and picking up something else.

I watch stuff while on the go as well and spend about 3-4 hours commuting each week in 1-2 hour blocks so I've started to use this time as a 'redemption zone'. I'll pick one or two shows that have fallen into my backlog because I'd gotten bored with them and I'll watch new episodes while travelling. So far this has worked well. It got me back into The Tomorrow People and it's confirmed that Sleepy Hollow has very little, if anything, to offer of value.

I like the Summer period as I've more free time for catching up on the backlog and I look forward to the summer shows. I think at this stage, at some point this week, I'll do a big cull of the older shows that I've just stopped with. My backlog is getting cluttered.

Finally I think my taste in TV has improved since I started my current model. I now only watch what I care about and I'm a bit more discerning!

Advertisement