Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eating lawn

• 25-05-2014 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there

Does anyone know of any way to keep a dog from digging up your lawn?? Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

hannaks wrote: »
    Hi there

Does anyone know of any way to keep a dog from digging up your lawn?? Thanks so much!

They're not a husky are they??? :)

Our 2 did it as pups (the digging). Kinda comes with the territory (being huskies). How old and what breed are yours?

Not wanting to sound smart... What kind of exercise are they getting. A lot of dogs dig out of pure boredom.

Are they eating it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hannaks

Hooked wrote: »
    They're not a husky are they??? :)

Our 2 did it as pups (the digging). Kinda comes with the territory (being huskies). How old and what breed are yours?

Not wanting to sound smart... What kind of exercise are they getting. A lot of dogs dig out of pure boredom.

Are they eating it too?

Hi. It is actually a neighbour's dog who gets in through a broken fence (the fence will be mended but it will take some months as there is some structural work to be done). She is a lovely big black dog (not sure what breed) who just pops in for some r&r, brings balls bones etc for chewing and then tears up two patches of lawn! It is driving my husband (who is a keen gardener crazy)! I was just wondering if there was any natural remedy that I could spread on the lawn that might discourage the dog from coming in. Any suggestions would be most welcome!! Thanks so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd be asking the neighbours to figure out how to keep their dog out of your garden until the fence is mended.

Why is this your problem?

endacl wrote: »
    I'd be asking the neighbours to figure out how to keep their dog out of your garden until the fence is mended.

Why is this your problem?

Our neighbour is lovely and she is elderly. She does her best and I was just wondering if there was anything natural I could put on the grass to discourage the dog from coming over which would solve it. Someone mentioned spreading Cayenne pepper. Has anyone heard if this solution? Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

cayenne pepper. Has anyone heard if this solution? Thanks for all your help.

I'd imagine cayenne pepper in large amounts may either burn the dogs nose and tongue if ingested - or irritate their pads/feet.

We've heard of using regular pepper, burying faeces and I've also heard orange or citrus peel (grated) can deter digging. I'm not sure though. They might all be old wives tales...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

ceyenne pepper does not burn the dogs nose or tongue. It does work... pour a bit around the usual spot of digging.. dog will probably move on..... and dig elsewhere.... sounds like it will be sorted in time so maybe just patience x good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

if the dog only digs in 2 specific areas, you could buy some green plastic coated chicken-wire type fencing - you know, it comes on a roll. Then you could lay it on the grass where he likes to dig, you wont be able to see it so much as its green, and it'll stop him digging - though he may move to another patch! Sounds like you need to put up some temporary prevention til you get your fence properly mended

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My dog done the same, a huge huge hole in the back garden. I re-seeded it and anytime he went near it I would go out to him, sit him down and say "No". He hasnt gone near it in a couple of months now.

When he was digging and digging I was told just shake pepper around the area and he should stop, a few people told me they used it before and it works well :)

Hooked wrote: »
    I'd imagine cayenne pepper in large amounts may either burn the dogs nose and tongue if ingested - or irritate their pads/feet.

We've heard of using regular pepper, burying faeces and I've also heard orange or citrus peel (grated) can deter digging. I'm not sure though. They might all be old wives tales...

Thanks so much. Might try the pepper and the citrus peel. Not so sure about the burying.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Our neighbour is lovely and she is elderly. She does her best and I was just wondering if there was anything natural I could put on the grass to discourage the dog from coming over which would solve it. Someone mentioned spreading Cayenne pepper. Has anyone heard if this solution? Thanks for all your help.

I have no further ideas for you other than those already suggested, but I just wanted to say that you seem like a very tolerant and understanding neighbour.

There are plenty of people in your position who would come on here complaining about the dog and threatening to call the dog warden etc, so I applaude you in your attitude towards the dog and elderly neighbour. I hope you find a solution soon.

• Advertisement

twomonkeys wrote: »
    I have no further ideas for you other than those already suggested, but I just wanted to say that you seem like a very tolerant and understanding neighbour.

There are plenty of people in your position who would come on here complaining about the dog and threatening to call the dog warden etc, so I applaude you in your attitude towards the dog and elderly neighbour. I hope you find a solution soon.

Thanks so much for all your ideas and help.

Advertisement