Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture delivery to apartment with underground carpark?

Options
  • 25-05-2014 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Moving into an apartment in a few weeks and will need to have a sofa, bed etc delivered. However the underground car park has a max headroom of 2m, so I imagine most delivery vans won't fit? :( Has anyone experienced this problem and are delivery guys generally ok about it e.g. parking outside the gates for a few minutes and carrying furniture in through the carpark on foot. That's the only solution I can think of at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Is the only access through the car park?

When my furniture was delivered we went in through the main door and up the stairs/used the lift, we just warned the delivery guys that they were delivering to an apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks. There is a petrol station literally beside it so maybe they could leave the van there for a few minutes whilst delivering the furniture in the front entrance. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks. There is a petrol station literally beside it so maybe they could leave the van there for a few minutes whilst delivering the furniture in the front entrance. Thanks for the idea!

Have you spoken to the furniture company? There is a chance everything will be dumped at the front entrance if it's overly complicated to get the furniture into your premises.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have you spoken to the furniture company? There is a chance everything will be dumped at the front entrance if it's overly complicated to get the furniture into your premises.

+1
    I've spent hours manhandling a large sofa up a flight of stairs- after a delivery guy left it at the bottom of the steps, rang the bell, and ran..........

They don't factor unusual locations into their delivery schedules- its pretty much- if they can readily get in the door and drop it on the floor- fine, otherwise, you often are on your own........

Thanks guys - not what I wanted to hear :( I intend to explain the situation when buying and offer to pay extra if needed and hopefully things will work out. At least there's a lift I guess!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys - not what I wanted to hear :( I intend to explain the situation when buying and offer to pay extra if needed and hopefully things will work out. At least there's a lift I guess!

Check out the lift and door dimensions...big items may not fit..thankfully I'm only on the first floor as my king sized bed and mattress didn't fit in the lift. Also offering to pay the shop extra is no guarantee that the delivery guys will do anything other than dump and run.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do you have some friends who can help you just in case?

It may not be too bad if it's only things like sofas and beds which while they are big and awkward they generally aren't really heavy and if you aren't going up too many floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

Where did you buy your sofa. When I bought my sofa there was an option to pay extra for them to bring it up to your place. If not the usual delivery fee means they leave it at the front door and your on your own from there

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Things to check;
    max weight the lift can hold
    max dimensions of the lift
    turning room in the stairs

And finally, if the apartment is on the 1st floor, how wide is the door onto the balcony (thinking outside the box here, in regards to a cherrypicker).

Thanks guys for all the advice - fingers crossed it works out. I'm a girl so don't fancy having to do it myself! :( On the plus side the balcony door is very wide so if the worst come to it I guess it's an option better than sleeping on the floor :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement