Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunn 0))) fans?

Options
  • 25-05-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Not once in my life have I ever met anyone else who likes Sunn 0))), which is a shame because to me these guys are absolute geniuses. I would pay so much money to them live :( They never come to Ireland.

Anyways, I understand they're definitely not the most accessible even for metal fans. If you haven't heard them before I'd recommend you give them a shot. This is one of those bands that you pretty much need good quality speakers or headphones for, and to be lying down somewhere focusing on nothing but the music. It's really more of a sensory experience/trip as opposed to just a piece of music.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sunn_O%29%29%29/612
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B96GbS3Ej-E

I won't be surprised if this thread gets 0 replies :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

They did play Dublin. Although their most recent gig was 06.

(songkick(dot)com/concerts/2566251-sunn-o-at-crawdaddy)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

You need to get out more buddy...they've played in Ireland (dublin, cork & galway) and I have about 10 close friends who would be fans and I could probably rattle off another 20 names of people I know to chat to who are fans...I myself have the O))) symbol tattooed on both arms...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Not once in my life have I ever met anyone else who likes Sunn 0))), which is a shame because to me these guys are absolute geniuses. I would pay so much money to them live :( They never come to Ireland.

Anyways, I understand they're definitely not the most accessible even for metal fans. If you haven't heard them before I'd recommend you give them a shot. This is one of those bands that you pretty much need good quality speakers or headphones for, and to be lying down somewhere focusing on nothing but the music. It's really more of a sensory experience/trip as opposed to just a piece of music.

They played in cork in 06 I think it was and the guitar player in my band at the time went to see and liked them,wished I'd gone along.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I knew theyve been to Dublin but it just seems so rare they do come... Didn't know they played in Galway or Cork though, that's savage!

What other drone bands are people into? I only really know Sunn, Khanate and Earth (all 3 of which are class). I've heard other random bands like Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine and Boris but never really committed to them.
    You need to get out more buddy...they've played in Ireland (dublin, cork & galway) and I have about 10 close friends who would be fans and I could probably rattle off another 20 names of people I know to chat to who are fans...I myself have the O))) symbol tattooed on both arms...

That's cool, I just don't know many metalheads unfortunately. All my friends are into electronic and punk which is also cool. Before moving to Cork I was always told Cork has a great metal scene but in the 7 months I've lived here I've gone to like 1 (been to a few bitchin punk gigs though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Before moving to Cork I was always told Cork has a great metal scene but in the 7 months I've lived here I've gone to like 1 (been to a few bitchin punk gigs though!).

Yeah, there's a bit of a lull for metal stuff in Cork at the moment. Used to be much better, but saying that there are gigs on, usually in Bradleys on Barrack Street.

As for drone, I've dipped in and out of it. I absolutely love the Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull by Earth and I suppose the early Om stuff could be counted as drone, who are brilliant. Sunn 0))) have never really grabbed me, though I should give them another go. Any recommendations for albums?

• Advertisement

Yeah, there's a bit of a lull for metal stuff in Cork at the moment. Used to be much better, but saying that there are gigs on, usually in Bradleys on Barrack Street.

As for drone, I've dipped in and out of it. I absolutely love the Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull by Earth and I suppose the early Om stuff could be counted as drone, who are brilliant. Sunn 0))) have never really grabbed me, though I should give them another go. Any recommendations for albums?

A lot of their albums have different buzzes, atmosphere or style whatever you want to call it. I havent listened to ALL of them, but I can say my 2 favourites were Black One and Flight of the Behemoth. Black One is somewhat like a black/drone metal hybrid, very eerie. Flight of the Behemoth was done in collaboration with Merzbow, who is a Japanese noise musician (listen if you haven't heard!). The 2 combined makes for a very disturbing, brain fúck of a listen! Absloute musical art in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yup, saw them when they played Galway ;)

Their split with Boris, Alter, is something else entirely and I'd really recommend checking it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Not once in my life have I ever met anyone else who likes Sunn 0))), ..
    Didn't quite get a question but just to let you know that I am here. :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think the metal scene in cork got a bit too over saturated with metal bands,I must check Bradleys out sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sunn o))) are great. Monoliths and Dimensions is pretty good as is Black One and their album with Boris.

Early Earth could be considered drone but anything later than 2005 is really not.

Really the metal scene wouldn't be great for music likes Sunn's if I were you I would check out the likes of Steve Reich, Stockhausen, Pauline Oliveros "Deep Listening" album. Modern classical is far more extreme than metal if you're looking for sonic experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

We lost Altar of Plagues and I'll Eat Your Face in the last year, I'll Eat Your Face being easily one of my top-3-ever bands :(

We lost Altar of Plagues and I'll Eat Your Face in the last year, I'll Eat Your Face being easily one of my top-3-ever bands :(

We didn't even get a fare well gig from I'll Eat Your Face :(

I see that Earth are playing Whelans in August. I'm very tempted to make the trip up to see them since I missed them the time they played Cork.

Are I'll eat your face the band with just the drummer and guitarist?

Yes. They disbanded earlier this year, but not before leaving us with one last EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Black One is the aural equivallent of walking through a dark, scary forest on your own late at night, while hearing strange noises around you and having that feeling of being followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52184551

Black One is the aural equivallent of walking through a dark, scary forest on your own late at night, while hearing strange noises around you and having that feeling of being followed.

Yes. I remember I was tripping on acid sometime ago in my friend's house in the backarse of the country, surrounded by woods. It was late late at night and one of my friends dared me to go for a walk in the forest while listening to Black One with top quality headphones (obviously tripping off my nut)... for €20. I concluded myy sanity was worth more than €20 :D

Sometimes when I'm listening to Sunn 0))) (generally their less black metally evil stuff) with my eyes closed, I see images of an uninhabited Earth, the wilderness, the sun, skies and cosmos and just "life" in general... There's something so ancient and primeval about some of the music they create, it's amazing. I have tried other drone bands, and while they've been good

Cool, I was still relatively young at the time, I don't remember if I was listening to Sunn back then and if I was I don't think I would've been able to make it... Is this the last time they played in Ireland? Is there ANY indication that they'll ever come back? Would really not prefer to fly to the UK or Holland to see them!
    buck65 wrote: »
    Really the metal scene wouldn't be great for music likes Sunn's if I were you I would check out the likes of Steve Reich, Stockhausen, Pauline Oliveros "Deep Listening" album. Modern classical is far more extreme than metal if you're looking for sonic experience.

I checked out Steve Reich after I read this and it was savage! Thank you. Will definitely check out the others later... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Out of all gigs I've ever been to, Sunn o))) and Swans are most mesmerizing live bands. That gig back in 2006 was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

This was the only sun 0))) album I've ever heard, and suffice it to say I hated it. As a death metal, southern country/rock, and glam rock fan I guess the drone genre didnt appeal to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VegetativeState

I knew theyve been to Dublin but it just seems so rare they do come... Didn't know they played in Galway or Cork though, that's savage!

What other drone bands are people into? I only really know Sunn, Khanate and Earth (all 3 of which are class). I've heard other random bands like Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine and Boris but never really committed to them.

That's cool, I just don't know many metalheads unfortunately. All my friends are into electronic and punk which is also cool. Before moving to Cork I was always told Cork has a great metal scene but in the 7 months I've lived here I've gone to like 1 (been to a few bitchin punk gigs though!).

I heavily recommend Boris. All of their albums are peculiar, almost like listening to different artists. Ranges from almost cheesy, silly heavy rock to no-bull**** drone, and some really lazy, loose jams.

I was at that Sunn gig in the Crawdaddy in 06, it was somethin else. Also saw em with Boris in London. Earth, Boris and Sunn all played their own sets then they cam together to play Alter, it was absolutely unreal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement