Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General questions for a weekend in the city

Options
  • 25-05-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭

Embarking on a stag weekend to Cork next weekend and just have a few questions before I set out on my adventure:

1) Where are the best spots to hit/avoid (stag friendly) bearing in mind that it's a bank holiday weekend? Mixture of lads within the group with some preferring a quiet drink and others preferring the hot spots (and the wimmins).

2) Could someone also recommend a decent sports bar that will be showing coverage of the GAA match on Sky on the Saturday evening, and the boxing later that night?

3) Best spot for breakfast and dinner?

4) Best way for a lad to while away a couple of hours of a Saturday morning. Like to take in a city when I'm away for a weekend, regardless of it being a stag or not.

Now, I was in Cork at a stag a couple of years ago but it transcended into the kind of thing where we stayed in the one spot for the entire time and I felt like there was a lot of stuff that I missed out on. Want to enjoy my experience this time around.

Thanks

*Am awaiting hilarious suggestions of the city's gay bars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not sure anywhere is really stag-friendly, sorry. :)

Most of the pubs/clubs are clustered around a few streets. Oliver Plunkett St. (and side-streets), Washington St. (& side-streets), and along McCurtain St. Coburg St. If the weather's nice, the best beer gardens around the city centre are Deep South, Franciscan Well, Fionnbarras, and Tom Barrys. Coughlans, Vicarstown or BDSM smaller, but not bad either. If you're really lazy, just head to the Oliver Plukett pub or Le Chateau, but if the weather's nice the few outdoor tables will be mobbed.

Later in the night: maybe the Bodega (bar/club, free before 11:30). Voodoo Rooms is hopping but could be a bit young. Haven't been in the Bowery for a while, has a nice roof-top bar. Otherwise, there's the "old faithful" Crane Lane, seems to be like a drain that everyone ends up there at the end of the night. Has a quieter wine-bar attached for the "quiet ones".

For the fight, you could try the Woolshed. Most pubs will probably be showing the GAA, could try Reardans or Soho (more modern bar, but has lots of big screens).

For food, I like the Market Lane but it's very busy after about 5 every day. For something cheap 'n' cheerful but good you could try the Gourmet Burger Bistro. I like Isaac's too. The Woodford mightn't be a bad option for food for a Stag, or Sober Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Tony's bistro for the a full irish breakfast

Cant bate it biy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

who_me wrote: »
    Most of the pubs/clubs are clustered around a few streets. Oliver Plunkett St. (and side-streets), Washington St. (& side-streets), and along McCurtain St. Coburg St. If the weather's nice, the best beer gardens around the city centre are Deep South, Franciscan Well, Fionnbarras, and Tom Barrys. Coughlans, Vicarstown or BDSM smaller, but not bad either. If you're really lazy, just head to the Oliver Plukett pub or Le Chateau, but if the weather's nice the few outdoor tables will be mobbed.

What he said. Franciscan Well, Fionnbarras and Tom Barry's are all a bit of a walk from the town center mind you. Good for a large group not wanting hassle from bouncers in town for a being a stag group but there is potential for some of ye to get lost :)
    Later in the night: maybe the Bodega (bar/club, free before 11:30). Voodoo Rooms is hopping but could be a bit young. Haven't been in the Bowery for a while, has a nice roof-top bar. Otherwise, there's the "old faithful" Crane Lane, seems to be like a drain that everyone ends up there at the end of the night. Has a quieter wine-bar attached for the "quiet ones".

Voodoo is the "in" place these days. The Bowery could be better for a stag though. Been a while since I was there but the roof top bar is great and the crowd is usually a good mix. +1 to Crane Lane too for something a bit more alternative. It's not a big place but they pack in a crowd. Dance floor can often resemble "sardines in a tin can" IMO.
    For food, I like the Market Lane but it's very busy after about 5 every day. For something cheap 'n' cheerful but good you could try the Gourmet Burger Bistro. I like Isaac's too. The Woodford mightn't be a bad option for food for a Stag, or Sober Lane.

Gotta agree with who_me again :) You can book Market Lane for large groups (you can't book for groups smaller than 6 people). It'll easily be €30-€50+ a head in there depending on courses and drink. Woodford is a good bar and they do food but it get's busy early so may not be seats. For cheaper eats.... Cafe Mexicana for something different.... Scoozies for cheap and cheerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bacchus wrote: »
    What he said. Franciscan Well, Fionnbarras and Tom Barry's are all a bit of a walk from the town center mind you. Good for a large group not wanting hassle from bouncers in town for a being a stag group but there is potential for some of ye to get lost :)

Tom Barrys do not like large groups. Not a hope a stag party gets served in there with their wanky policy. So do not bother taking that particular trek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

El Fennix

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Tom Barrys do not like large groups. Not a hope a stag party gets served in there with their wanky policy. So do not bother taking that particular trek!!

I know they are strict around Christmas time with the "12 pubs" groups but as a general rule I would have thought they wouldn't really pay much notice. I've been in large groups on a Saturday night there. Depends on how big a group I guess and if it's a rowdy group. Err on the side of caution with Tom Barry's.

Forgot to mention the Sextant. Good atmosphere, nice beer garden. They do their "Build your own burger" from 5-8 on Saturdays. And it's central*

* Yes, it's central! Considering it's about a 2 hour walk across the city from end to end, then I think anywhere within a 5 minute walk or so of Patrick St / Grand Parade / South Mall is central. Lots of people seem to think the second you walk off Patrick St. you're in the hinterland! (:P)

Forgot to mention the Sextant. Good atmosphere, nice beer garden. They do their "Build your own burger" from 5-8 on Saturdays. And it's central*

* Yes, it's central! Considering it's about a 2 hour walk across the city from end to end, then I think anywhere within a 5 minute walk or so of Patrick St / Grand Parade / South Mall is central. Lots of people seem to think the second you walk off Patrick St. you're in the hinterland! (:P)

It's a short enough walk (10-15 minute to Grand Parade area) but it's out there on it's own. There's a couple more bars further out and you've the Clarion across the bridge from it but other than that it's a fairly isolated (albeit great) bar. Great bar but I'm just thinking for a stag, it's best to try limit the walks from one end to another. Most bars and clubs are concentrated within a 5 minute walk around Grand Parade. Soho is on Grand Parade and is a popular sports bar. They serve food too.

If you're going for 2 nights and the Friday is the "quiet" night, by all means wander down to something like the Franciscan Well or The Sextant. MacCurtain street has some great pubs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Tom Barry's won't serve a stag in a million years. I used to do front of house in the Crane Lane and there isn't a bull's roar they'll be letting stags in there either. Likewise with the Bodega and probably Havanas as well. I'd say SoHo is ye're best bet for sports etc, but make sure to split into smaller groups around 15-20 minutes apart if you want to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

FTA69 wrote: »
    Tom Barry's won't serve a stag in a million years. I used to do front of house in the Crane Lane and there isn't a bull's roar they'll be letting stags in there either. Likewise with the Bodega and probably Havanas as well. I'd say SoHo is ye're best bet for sports etc, but make sure to split into smaller groups around 15-20 minutes apart if you want to get in.

ive been on stags to get into bodega and reardons/havannas, both less then 10 people probably didnt go all in together and weren't completely off our faces or wearing silly tshirts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I know they are strict around Christmas time with the "12 pubs" groups but as a general rule I would have thought they wouldn't really pay much notice. I've been in large groups on a Saturday night there. Depends on how big a group I guess and if it's a rowdy group. Err on the side of caution with Tom Barry's.

Ive seen "groups" of 3 or 4 fellas arrive in and being told "another night lads" before they would even order. The attitude of the staff in that place absolutely sucks.

It's a short enough walk (10-15 minute to Grand Parade area) but it's out there on it's own. There's a couple more bars further out and you've the Clarion across the bridge from it but other than that it's a fairly isolated (albeit great) bar. Great bar but I'm just thinking for a stag, it's best to try limit the walks from one end to another. Most bars and clubs are concentrated within a 5 minute walk around Grand Parade. Soho is on Grand Parade and is a popular sports bar. They serve food too.

If you're going for 2 nights and the Friday is the "quiet" night, by all means wander down to something like the Franciscan Well or The Sextant. MacCurtain street has some great pubs too.

Lots of stags seem to stay in Jurys Inn, so starting in the Sextant beer garden would be fairly convenient, then the few pubs by Charlies / Fenix and then Oliver Plunkett St. If you go that route, there's a new pub on Parnell Place to break up the walk across the river, The Poor Relation Grocery & Pub. (I don't know if it's any good, but it's an epic name :) )

But you're right, the best concentration of pubs is along a couple of streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Lots of stags seem to stay in Jurys Inn, so starting in the Sextant beer garden would be fairly convenient, then the few pubs by Charlies / Fenix and then Oliver Plunkett St. If you go that route, there's a new pub on Parnell Place to break up the walk across the river, The Poor Relation Grocery & Pub. (I don't know if it's any good, but it's an epic name :) )

But you're right, the best concentration of pubs is along a couple of streets.

The Idle Hour is also a good spot to spend, well, an idle hour too and there's the new place around the corner from that (the name escapes me).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Balmed Out wrote: »
    ive been on stags to get into bodega and reardons/havannas, both less then 10 people probably didnt go all in together and weren't completely off our faces or wearing silly tshirts.

Ha ha. That's very different to presenting yourself as a stag though isn't it? Groups of 3-4 presentable lads entering at different times is a different kettle of fish at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Great weekend had by all.

Stayed in Oliver Plunketts on the Friday night and headed to Riordans for a while too. Couldn't really find any of the recommended beer gardens on the Saturday so set out on the street outside Soho. Was thoroughly enjoyable due to the nice weather. Also stayed there for the boxing and headed to Riordans that night.

All in all it was a smashing weekend in a good city :)

Advertisement