Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Ongar/Clonsilla Dublin 15

Options
  • 25-05-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello.

Everyone.

I am 1st time buyer and checking a house in Ongar.

I heard that in ongar,a lot of burglary, a lot of stuff was stolen.

I was wondering is ongar a safe area?

I am also checking somewhere near Clonsilla.

The address is Westhaven, Clonsilla, Dublin 15 and Meadow Copse, Clonsilla, Dublin 15

Thanks a lot for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Ongar is a safe area.

There has been increase in burglaries for the D15 area as I suspect in most areas around the city, these things happen.

A lot of rented houses in the area and very multi cultural.

decent value there too and its quite a new area, you could do a lot worst.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

qdducky wrote: »
    Hello.

Everyone.

I am 1st time buyer and checking a house in Ongar.

I heard that in ongar,a lot of burglary, a lot of stuff was stolen.

I was wondering is ongar a safe area?

I am also checking somewhere near Clonsilla.

The address is Westhaven, Clonsilla, Dublin 15 and Meadow Copse, Clonsilla, Dublin 15

Thanks a lot for your help

The area is fine... very settled. Even the areas that once had a name of anti social behaviour are now quiet with older generations living there. Also it should be noted houses builth before the boom seem to be of better portions and better making.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ongar stands a good chance of being a ghetto in 10 years. I wouldn't buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

P.s. the area I was referring to was clonsilla ... harts town.. meadow copse... hunts town ,whitestown etc towards the shopping centre essentially the long established areas where you get a lot of people who are there for a few generations

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

how do you come to that conclusion?

It wouldn't be my cup of tea but that's a bit extreme.

• Advertisement

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    how do you come to that conclusion?

It wouldn't be my cup of tea but that's a bit extreme.

I lived in it the last year. You couldn't pay me to live there now. The surrounding areas are a little better from what I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 qdducky

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    Ongar is a safe area.

There has been increase in burglaries for the D15 area as I suspect in most areas around the city, these things happen.

A lot of rented houses in the area and very multi cultural.

decent value there too and its quite a new area, you could do a lot worst.

good luck

Thanks very much for your reply

The area is fine... very settled. Even the areas that once had a name of anti social behaviour are now quiet with older generations living there. Also it should be noted houses builth before the boom seem to be of better portions and better making.

Thanks a lot for your reply

Thanks for the reply.

My colleague lives in Ongar with his family for a long time.

His father is a very fancy restaruant owner in city centre,they r not poor ;-).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't know Meadow Copse but know a few of the other roads around there and grew up there many years ago and it is a well established area with a lot of families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I lived in it the last year. You couldn't pay me to live there now. The surrounding areas are a little better from what I have heard.

Could you elaborate a bit on what problems/issues you had when you lived there. I've always respected your contributions and insight on this board so would be interested to hear your first hand experience of the area

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Could you elaborate a bit on what problems/issues you had when you lived there. I've always respected your contributions and insight on this board so would be interested to hear your first hand experience of the area

Sure.

In a year of living there I saw:

1 carjacking.
    Multiple drug deals in the Dunnes Carpark. Multiple thefts from the store itself.
    2 burglaries(one of which took the police over 3 hours to respond to).
    1 violent assault, 6 on 1.
    On multiple occasions gangs of drunk and aggressive teenagers roaming. The kind that anybody with a bit of street smarts knows to avoid.

There is a lot of poverty in the area, even without it being council a huge amount of the tenants are on RA. The general mood is hostile and at night, very wary.

If that's your cup of tea, great. But I've been all over this city, both living and working. The only place I can remember with a similar attitude was Jobstown.

Thanks for that, my only experience with Ongar has been during the daytime when I viewed a car for sale there once. I wasn't really sure what to make of the place, there seems to be a lot of immigrants based there, the shops weren't too bad I suppose but I got the feeling that the whole area, wether to do with bad planning or otherwise, is a bit disconnected and isolated. Though I must say it didn't appear as bad as the couple of times I've been in Jobstown, both times on a Friday night and some locals were all out burning rubbish in the middle of a green. I suppose the houses in Ongar are a lot newer than Jobstown so appearances can be deceptive, it's really all about who is in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 festesio

Sure.

In a year of living there I saw:

1 carjacking.
    Multiple drug deals in the Dunnes Carpark. Multiple thefts from the store itself.
    2 burglaries(one of which took the police over 3 hours to respond to).
    1 violent assault, 6 on 1.
    On multiple occasions gangs of drunk and aggressive teenagers roaming. The kind that anybody with a bit of street smarts knows to avoid.

There is a lot of poverty in the area, even without it being council a huge amount of the tenants are on RA. The general mood is hostile and at night, very wary.

If that's your cup of tea, great. But I've been all over this city, both living and working. The only place I can remember with a similar attitude was Jobstown.

In contrast, lived in the area for 15 years

2 Attempted burglaries(one on neighbours van, one on brothers house down the road)

Stuff heard on the news that I've never seen, but no more compared to other areas (carjacking in Terenure for instance)

Chased by a fox once........does that count? :)

I'm in the Manorfield area so only a few mins from Meadow Copse, generally go walking around Ongar, Ravenswood, Rosedale, Hazelbury and rarely any issues. lots of "youths" hanging around Ongar village, but there is also a green area with basketball etc thats full most evenings, so understandable you might have a crowd near the shops getting drinks etc. Littlepace shopping centre is the same(kids a little older though)

Even walking the lane(from Ongar up through Latchford for those who know it) is not as daunting as it once was, previously was unlit, but now plenty of street lights.

Three schools , two gyms ,2 Astro parks and Two pubs within walking distance, shops and takeaways as well, Train station and a decent(if not slightly long winded at times) bus service as well.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If you are buying, make sure you ask about pyrite. A lot of properties in the area have been affected and if it's not covered by Homebond or similar policies it can cost tens of thousands to put right. If the seller or agent dodges the question or seems evasive on the subject, walk away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrite#Weakened_building_materials

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

From my experience the place is absolutely souless

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    From my experience the place is absolutely souless

Describes a lot of Celtic Tiger era developments to be honest. Even the IFSC feels really dead at the weekends and yet there are thousands of apartments in the area, it's weird.

Advertisement