Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable hotel/b&b Dublin City centre

Options
  • 25-05-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help me.
    My elderly aunt &uncle are coming up from Kerry for intensive physio for aunt after a stroke. She is looking for somewhere affordable to stay Tues-fri for next two weeks until something more permanent. She can walk but not very well.
    The physio is in Abbey St so on the red luas line.

Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation near Abbey St. Or easy to get to Abbey St. On Red line or bus.

She's hoping to get 3 nights Either bed or bed & breakfast for approx €300.
    They don't mind if it's not fancy, just somewhere safe and secure for two mid 70's people.

Only place I'm really thinking is red cow hotel as on luas line.
    Help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

There's lots of 'hotels'/hostels on Gardiner St, which is just around the corner from Abbey St. They're aimed at young people though and lots of them might be dormitory-style accomodation. So obviously not suitable. But a bit of research might throw up something suitable.

Another street worth looking at is Talbot St, but again it's budget accomodation aimed at young folk.

http://www.ashlinghotel.ie/
    This hotel is beside Heuston Station & is on the Luas Red line. There's always taxi's parked outside the hotel as well. It's beside the Phoenix Park as well. Don't know anything about the hotel but, looking at it from the outside, I'd class it as an average hotel so maybe affordable? Edit: Their website says it's a 4*... so YMMV...

fwiw, the Red Cow Hotel is on the edge of the city and probably an hour on the luas into Abbey St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Dubwat wrote: »
    fwiw, the Red Cow Hotel is on the edge of the city and probably an hour on the luas into Abbey St.
    It takes about half an hour to get to Abbey Street from the Red Cow stop. If the OP's Aunt has trouble walking I would look somewhere other than the Red Cow Hotel, it's not far to walk from the hotel to the Luas stop but there's still a bit of a walk to get there and part of it involves walking up a bridge - obviously depending on how much difficulty she has this may not be a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most of the northside buses either go along O'Connell Street or terminate in Marlborough Street/Eden quay, all a short walk from Abbey Street, so you could consider B&Bs out Clontarf/Drumcondra/Glasnevin directions too.

Here is a selection:
    Ashling House, Drumcondra
    Almara B&B Whitehall
    Ferryview House, Clontarf
    Botanic View, Glasnevin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What about Wynn's Hotel or The Celtic Lodge on Talbot Street?

Also do you know which end of Abbey Street as it's quite long?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

the Eagles are playing the O2 from 4-7 June, so that looks like it's ramping up prices of hotels anywhere near the O2 (and the city in general?) on those dates... I was going to suggest Jurys at customs house otherwise. That may work for 2nd week if no gig on?
    You may have to travel a bit outside for the first week.

Spurious has some good tips.
    The B&B in Clontarf is served very well by the 130 bus which goes past the B&B and terminates beside at the Abbey Theatre on Abbey St.
    It's v safe and is out a bit from the city - they'd be able to park there no problem also, and it's a nice quiet area in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Brand new hotel reopened recently called the Glashaus, this is just opened its doors last week after refurbishment. It had closed when they went to Nama a number of years ago.

The luas is literally right outside the door step.

And i believe their prices are extremely reasonable (55 per night)

http://www.glashaushotel.ie/

Advertisement