Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have 8gb (4+4) RAM installed, also have another single 8gb stick. Should I install?

Options
  • 25-05-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭

Same make (G-Skill - Ripjaws), same voltage, same part number, same everything, but the sizes aren't the same is all. I know that it's perfectly fine to install, I was wondering more if it's worthwhile, since I have that extra stick laying around and/or is there anything I need to do to make sure the installation is without a hitch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Depends on what you're doing with your pc. If it's gaming you're not going to use more than 8gig. If for example you're doing some really heavy video editing, computer aided drawing or something like that then you'll benefit from 16gb ram.

For every day use, browsing email...facebook...looking at webpages, no you won't benefit from it. It might be of more benefit sitting in the box / bag as a backup perhaps.

Installation wise, thumb on the top of one end, index finger on the top of the other end, rock it in gently, the clips should close when you push the ram into the slot.

http://lifehacker.com/138665/hack-attack-how-to-install-ram

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

As mentioned above if your only gaming/general porpouse its not really needed unless your doing serious work on the pc. May even be worth selling the 8gb stick and getting a small ssd if you dont already have one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭briany

Recurve360 wrote: »
    As mentioned above if your only gaming/general porpouse its not really needed unless your doing serious work on the pc. May even be worth selling the 8gb stick and getting a small ssd if you dont already have one :)

Running the OS off a Crucial M4 SSD, and I know that installing more RAM won't get any kind of perceptible performance boost (for everyday tasks, at least) but I was actually wondering more if I were to install it, which slot to place it in etc., so as not to mess with the operation of the two sticks already installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

To answer your question, some motherboards have "paired" slots from what I've read. These are normally colour coded or it says so on the motherboard or in the motherboard manual somewhere.

For slots that are not colour coded, again they are designated a number or letter on the board or in the manual.

If it's "paired" then your two sticks should be in the same "pair" (colour slots) and if not then the 8gb stick should go in the last designated slot.

So one 4gb stick in say "Memory Bank 1" one in "Memory Bank 2" and the 8gb in "Memory Bank 4". If they're not designated a description then a good rule of thumb is put RAM closes to the CPU (no technical reason for that, it's just something I've stuck to).

Advertisement