Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting 300 points?

• 25-05-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Right so my mocks were really bad, only passed 3 subjects -
    English - C3(only because I summarised, a problem which I thankfully rectified now). French - B3(hope to boost this to a B1 or A2 in June, only thing that will drag me done is the tape :/ ) and Irish - C(can't remember exactly) i got on quite well at LCVPfailed everything with about 4% off a pass. Also failed foundation maths but not getting them for points and don't expect to pass them but thankfully,my course doesn't require pass in maths. I should point out I didn't do anything for the mocks :/

I feel I have improved loads since the mocks. For example, last home ec test I did I got 77% I definitely hope to boost my English to a high B. Irish I would say B but my oral wasn't terribly great tbh so honestly can't really predict that. One subject I've consistently struggled with is ordinary level biology but I've covered lots of topics that continuously come up and have been going through exam papers. But would anyone have any other advice as it's my weakest subject aside from maths.
    For business, I got nearly 70% in Christmas test. Was adviced to drop after mocks by teacher and am aiming for a high grade - A or high B. Know all this sounds very optimistic but I have studied a lot since then. I think I did a decent LCVP written exam and good portfolio so hoping I can get a merit.
    The reason I'm aiming for 300 points is Arts is one of few courses that don't need B2 in foundation maths. I've come across a plethora of courses I would love to study with lower points but unfortunately maths is a requirement.
    They really have been the bane of my life since primary school!
    How many hours should I be doing to maximise my chances? I was thinking 8-10 with breaks all this week and next?? So any advice to ensure I can get my 300 points would be really welcome. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Right so my mocks were really bad, only passed 3 subjects -
    English - C3(only because I summarised, a problem which I thankfully rectified now). French - B3(hope to boost this to a B1 or A2 in June, only thing that will drag me done is the tape :/ ) and Irish - C(can't remember exactly) i got on quite well at LCVPfailed everything with about 4% off a pass. Also failed foundation maths but not getting them for points and don't expect to pass them but thankfully,my course doesn't require pass in maths. I should point out I didn't do anything for the mocks :/

I feel I have improved loads since the mocks. For example, last home ec test I did I got 77% I definitely hope to boost my English to a high B. Irish I would say B but my oral wasn't terribly great tbh so honestly can't really predict that. One subject I've consistently struggled with is ordinary level biology but I've covered lots of topics that continuously come up and have been going through exam papers. But would anyone have any other advice as it's my weakest subject aside from maths.
    For business, I got nearly 70% in Christmas test. Was adviced to drop after mocks by teacher and am aiming for a high grade - A or high B. Know all this sounds very optimistic but I have studied a lot since then. I think I did a decent LCVP written exam and good portfolio so hoping I can get a merit.
    The reason I'm aiming for 300 points is Arts is one of few courses that don't need B2 in foundation maths. I've come across a plethora of courses I would love to study with lower points but unfortunately maths is a requirement.
    They really have been the bane of my life since primary school!
    How many hours should I be doing to maximise my chances? I was thinking 8-10 with breaks all this week and next?? So any advice to ensure I can get my 300 points would be really welcome. Thanks! :)
    8-10 is loads yet manageable, but don't be worried if you don't get the 10 hours! Answer the question for English... For French, make sure your grammar is perfect forget spending hours learning phrases if your grammar isn't up to scratch; answer the question keep directly to what is asked, add in fancy grammar points I.e unusual negatives(Ni..ni)! For Irish learn off a general aiste and others if you're really weak! Again concentrate on grammar; revise the copail as this is where students usually fall down.

I do higher biology and if you learn unit 1,2 and experiments it equates to 80% not sure if it's the same in ordinary but it'll be a good start, check that out.

In terms of strategy, work your hardest for the next 9 days. Not note making, not making flashcards but genuinely learning the stuff. Go to bed early wake up early. Sleep is viral during the exams and allow your body and brain to rest. Don't take red bull or berocca every 5 mins as you won't be able to sleep. I think 300 points is achievable. Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

I'm in the same boat, got 245 in my mocks with no study and I failed higher ag and higher bio, bio by about two percent and ag by about ten, i started studying about 2 weeks ago and i plan on doing about 9 hours next week, is it possible for me to get up to 300 or is it too late? and op I know somone said not to use flashcards but I think they really help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Badwulf wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, got 245 in my mocks with no study and I failed higher ag and higher bio, bio by about two percent and ag by about ten, i started studying about 2 weeks ago and i plan on doing about 9 hours next week, is it possible for me to get up to 300 or is it too late? and op I know somone said not to use flashcards but I think they really help

Don't get me wrong flashcards help. But how many hours will they waste making those flashcards? Should have been made months ago. We are down to single digits.. 9 days I advise you to actually study everything instead of wasting hours.

@badwulf if I told you it's too late would you just not study? And no it's def not too late. Same advice for you as for the op

oncex wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong flashcards help. But how many hours will they waste making those flashcards? Should have been made months ago. We are down to single digits.. 9 days I advise you to actually study everything instead of wasting hours.

@badwulf if I told you it's too late would you just not study? And no it's def not too late. Same advice for you as for the op

Oh no, I'd still study no matter that somone said but I just want a straight honest answer

Can I go from 250-300 points by only studying in the last three weeks and doing nine hours a day in the last week? just set it in stone my friends of racial diversity

I know a lad who went from 230 in the mocks (no study) to 480 points (with 3 weeks hard study). So yer 60 is doable, just make sure its quality study. Good luck, I know we're all bricking it. Last week I genuinely thought I could get over 500, now, I'M PRAYING I'LL GET 10 Points up from the mock, gotta at least break 400. :(

Thanks brah, if that story is true it fills me with hope <3 how many points do you need? best advice I can give is seriously, don't panic. The only time I studied bar the last two or three weeks was about a month before my Irish oral. I memorized it all off by heart and was pulling out solid 70-90 percent scores on my mock orals the teacher would give us. Then came the day and I sat in that chair, heart was beating like a jack hammer and I was shaking and I was so damn nervous I actually forgot everything I learnt. Still think I done good enough in it but definatly not a 90 percent this time, only just found out none of my choices need Irish so I'm pretty happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GonnaFreak1994

Badwulf wrote: »
    Thanks brah, if that story is true it fills me with hope <3 how many points do you need? best advice I can give is seriously, don't panic. The only time I studied bar the last two or three weeks was about a month before my Irish oral. I memorized it all off by heart and was pulling out solid 70-90 percent scores on my mock orals the teacher would give us. Then came the day and I sat in that chair, heart was beating like a jack hammer and I was shaking and I was so damn nervous I actually forgot everything I learnt. Still think I done good enough in it but definatly not a 90 percent this time, only just found out none of my choices need Irish so I'm pretty happy.

Need 375, so I have to go down 15 from the mocks. It all depends whats asked, actually prayed with my hands in the air for Stalin to come up in the Leaving, thats how desperate I am. For the Irish Oral, I just walked in, walked out, I'll say I got a C but she was really nice so you never know.

Anyway, hoping for As in Biology, History and Geography and hopefully Cs in English, Ag Science and Irish (probly going to be Ds though). For the As, it genuinely depends on whats asked that will determine if I get it or not. Only really started studying Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Flashcards are great if you made them back in january and youre just using them for learning now. But i think its too late now, youre better off just going over school notes lots. Making your own notes/flashcards takes very long to do. I got flashcards done for about 50% of bio chapters, so Ill use them to study but for the other chapsters im just studying notes i got from school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

And stop worrying that doesnt help, LC isnt the end of the world you can repeat it. Knowing that makes it all seem much less stressful for me atleast.

Advertisement