Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete Drainage Problems...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Forgive the mental block here lads but, if I stick in a square gully trap at the lowest point I will still have to cut the concrete to connect it to the drain. No real point in just sticking in the gully trap and not connecting it to the drain is there? If it would work it would be brilliant but there is about 4/5 inches of 804 hardcore down.

If I do have to connect that to the drain I might aswell stick in just 2 x 1 metre channel drains and do my best to get the fall as good as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Guttervac wrote: »
    That would be more of a French drain, which works fine in certain situations. For the op to put in a French drain would involve a lot more work and upheaval than putting in channels. Putting in a gully in the concrete is not what your BIL did. Also this would have been done before the concrete was laid so the drainage in the hole could measured to see if a French drain will work.
    With respect
    I know what a French drain is and a square sump with a barrow of 2" stone isn't a French drain, so please don't start telling me what my BIL did.

It's not ideal no matter what OP has to do at this stage as it's going back over poured concrete.

Depending what soil and stone is under the concrete OP may well get away with a gully down into the hardcore. Personally I would try this before cutting across newly laid concrete. Yes it may not clear of water as quickly as an open drain. But it's all compromises for OP now no matter what. If that wasn't working to OP satisfaction then you could consider ripping across the new concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Didn't cast aspersions on anyone. Just giving my honest opinion on how I think would be the way to proceed to rectify the op's problem and after 20 years of a running a successful landscaping business and building hundreds of patios and driveways I think my input would be helpful. In my opinion, a 4 inch gully hopper would be nowhere near sufficient to take the surface water of at least 20-30 metres of concrete in the mid to long term when it's sitting at the bottom of a muddy puddle. Not sure what constitutes a 'professional landscaper' as opposed to someone who does it for a living and does it correctly but professional or not I certainly would not recommend your method of drainage to anyone. Maybe I'm not the one needing the chill pill as you put it.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Guttervac

Well it works on the same principle. You said your BIL put a gully into a barrow ful of stone below the concrete, this is not the same a putting a gully hopper into concrete to take the water off 20-30 metres of path and hoping for the best. A 4 inch hole in concrete as was suggested will not work long term. End off. I will leave it at that now and let the op make up his mind to which is the best method to correct this problem but I think he already knows. He could also engage the services of a pro and get it sorted in a couple of hours and never have to think about it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Just break up the section and lay it again ?

via this method
    He could also engage the services of a pro and get it sorted in a couple of hours and never have to think about it again.

cheaper than rebuilding the wall when it falls from subsidence n stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'm sure you've been given some great advice but you seem a bit stuck between opinions. You might find consensus if you try the Construction or DIY forums.

Advertisement