Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spraying around newly set griselinia

• 26-05-2014 12:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

I set new griselinia but they are still very small. Grass and weeds are growing up around which I am currently pulling by hand. could I spray around them to kill the grass and weeds but keep the griselinia alive. how would weedol get on or would the plants not be established enough yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Darbre18

f140 wrote: »
    I set new griselinia but they are still very small. Grass and weeds are growing up around which I am currently pulling by hand. could I spray around them to kill the grass and weeds but keep the griselinia alive. how would weedol get on or would the plants not be established enough yet?

My advice is to spread a layer of grass cuttings around the base of the griselinia but leave a gap around the stem as acid in the decomposing grass can damage the plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

f140 wrote: »

I have always kept new hedging weed free by spraying around the base of the plants with the likes of Round up, Gallup or Touchdown. Never had any problems with a variety of hedging including griselinia, hornbeam, red robin and berberis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

get a fairy liquid bottle and cut it in half,take off nozzle and slide it up and tape to hold it in place then put the nozzle back on and spray away(keep it really low)

Advertisement