Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow result

• 26-05-2014 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭

2 votes short at count 14 , looks like Daire Nolan will be successful at first attempt. Congratulations on a great campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Full result:

-Arklow

Full recount of Arklow votes to take place today, Monday 26th May, 2014 at 11:00 in Shoreline Leisure Centre, Greystones; No councillors elected.

-Bray:
    John Brady (SF)
    Joe Behan (Ind)
    Christopher Fox (Ind)
    Brendan Thornhill (Ind)
    Stephen Matthews (Green)
    Oliver O'Brien (SF)
    Pat Vance (FF)
    John Ryan (FG)

-Wicklow:
    John Snell (SF)
    Daire Nolan (Ind)
    Pat Casey (FF)
    Shay Cullen (FG)
    Irene Winters (FG)
    Pat Kavanagh (Ind)

-Greystones:
    Jennifer Whitmore (Ind)
    Tom Fortune (Ind)
    Derek Mitchell (FG)
    Nicola Lawless (SF)
    Gerry Walsh (FF)
    Grainne McLoughlin (FG)

-Baltinglass:
    Jim Ruttle (Ind)
    Vincent Blake (FG)
    Edward Timmins (FG)
    Pat Doran (FF)
    Tommy Cullen (Ind)
    Gerry O'Neill (SF)

Some free-wheeling observations I've made. Feel free to argue/discuss.

-arguably the biggest shock result of the election was former Garda Brendan Thornhill being elected in the Bray LEA. Best known as the former community Garda in Bray, Brendan self-described as "having been canvassing for 23 years". He did not do a traditional canvass (did not go knocking on doors or anything) and yet secured a seat comfortably. Most pollsters and experts did not expect him to win a seat, but there you are.

-Jennifer Whitmore polled higher than any other candidate in the county, including perennial favourites such as Brady, Fox, Snell, Blake, Fortune, Timmins, Ruttle, Fitzgerald, etc. She had over 2 quotas' worth of votes (in excess of 2,300 votes). For a first time, independent candidate, that is remarkable. However, there was also the fact that she had enjoyed the full support of the hugely liked and respected T.D., Stephen Donnelly.

-The collapse of support for Fine Gael in Bray is nothing short of staggering; only one of their 3 candidates was elected and sitting councillor Mick Glynn lost his seat. I personally found this to be very shocking. Glynn was a popular and high-profile councillor in Bray, being heavily involved in the various festivals that came to Bray. However, he polled poorly and was eliminated after ten counts or so. Sarah Wray also failed to be elected. Only John Ryan was elected for Fine Gael in Bray.

-Labour have been completely wiped off the political map of Wicklow. Not one of their candidates was elected, with most polling extremely poorly. Even former Chairman Jimmy O'Shaughnessy, who had defected from Labour to run as an Independent, was not elected. Labour's decline was to the extreme benefit of Sinn Féin and Independents.

-Sinn Féin, for the first time in their history, have had candidates elected in Baltinglass and Greystones. They will potentially have a councillor in all 5 Areas (awaiting the re-count in Arklow). They polled extremely well in Bray, with both Brady and O'Brien getting elected. John Snell was returned on the first count in Wicklow. Nicola Lawless and Gerry O'Neill took seats in Greystones and Baltinglass respectively. The only potential dampener on the mood would be a failure to secure 2 seats in Wicklow, with Garrett O'Reilly polling quite poorly and failing to secure a major transfer from John Snell.

-Independents were elected in all areas, with Greystones, Wicklow and Baltinglass returning 2 apiece, while Bray returned 3. (Arklow still subject to a recount).

-The high and low of Fianna Fáil. Arklow was (before the recount was called) a very happy hunting ground for FF. Kennedy, Fitzgerald and Aynnsley were all elected (Fitzgerald and Kennedy on the first count), meaning that the three FF candidates had all gotten elected. However, other areas saw them fail to get more than one candidate elected. Pat Vance only just scraped over the line in Bray on the last count. Pat Casey is the only FF councillor in Wicklow-East, with Gail Dunne being snookered out of a seat following a strong comeback by independent Pat Kavanagh. Pat Doran is the sole FF councillor in Baltinglass. And only Gerry Walsh was elected in Greystones, with Taragh Hanley and James Doyle polling poorly and being eliminated quite early.

-First-timers at the County Council level did extremely well in some areas; in the Wicklow area Shay Cullen and Daire Nolan took seats in their first attempts. Thornhill, Matthews and O'Brien all took seats at the first attempt in Bray. Whitmore, Walsh and Lawless in Greystones. This "trend" was bucked in Baltinglass, with only Gerry O'Neill being a newcomer.

-The Green Party have one councillor elected to WCC for the first time in a long time. Stephen Matthews was also the only candidate elected for a minor party. All other councillors are either Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil, Sinn Féin or Independent.

-This election sees the return of Joe Behan to politics, having been inactive for 3 years since losing his seat in Dáil Eireann at the 2011 General Election. Formerly of Fianna Fáil, Behan ran as an Independent in Bray. He was elected at the first count, along with John Brady and Christopher Fox.

-Pat Vance is now the most senior County Councillor in Wicklow, having served on the council for over 30 years.

-In the Wicklow LEA, 4 of the 6 councillors came from outside Wicklow Town, despite it having the lion's share of the voters. Only Irene Winters and Pat Kavanagh from the town were elected. Casey (Glendalough), Cullen (Newtown/Roundwood), Nolan (Newtown) and Snell (Rathnew) were all from outside the main urban area, polling strongly in their respective "home" areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Some interesting analysis

I'm not sure if I agree with all of it though

1. I think Brendans result was shocking but I'm not sure if everyone was so shocked.
    2 Donnelly put a huge amount of resources behind this. There were 7 interns employed in the office on the campaign.
    3 I think FG vote is shocking but perhaps in move towards independents and SF not so much. A 2 candidate strategy would have been better.
    4 Yep - Labour will now struggle badly. Some of their candidates went in far too late.
    5 Stunning victory. How will it transpose into the Council though? Can they really just oppose everything endlessly in the Council. Will it be a disciplined Brady bunch? Could John Brady take the Cathaoirleach of the Council?
    6 Yeah some genuine independents there and a lot of what I would call "FF genepool". Fox, Behan, Nolan and Ruttle are all FF genepool.
    7 hmmm a lot of FF lifers here - does this really leave hope for a Dail seat?
    8 Matthews wasn't a first timer in a way. O'Neill is definitely definitely not a first time candidate. O'Brien would have struggled without the surge of Brady and SF support. Cullen had strong strategic backing from Andrew Doyle. Nolan succesfully used the "elect a Newtown man" card Greystones was always going to elect a raft of new candidates given that most of the candidates were first timers.
    9 Indeed and that could be a small threat to Bradys dail aspirations
    10 I'm shocked Vance held on after the Wicklow Times allegations.
    11 Wicklow LEA was bizarre. Because of 20 candidates it was always going to go all over the place. Some really weird things going on with some independents votes though. I mean a high transfer from Goodman (anti homeless hostel campaigner) to Kavanagh (Hostel supporter) - The Wicklow Town vote went literally all over the place.

If I could add some of my own observations here;
    I do wonder what a strong SF on WCC will look like. Will they scream and shout at everything or genuinely work with the officials?
    I'm delighted that 7 of 32 Councillors will probably be female. Its a vast improvement from 1 of 24 but we still need more female representation.

Who will be Cathaoirleach? Theres a lot of murmurs going on amongst parties. Some talk of continuing the cery long standing cross party deal.
    Will Sinn Fein and independents win a no confidence motion in Sheehy or will FG and FF continue to protect him? Where will the FF genepool go?

Its also very sad to see some genuinely hard working Cllrs go.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Sorry to see Mick Glynn go out. He did some great stuff for the town with various festivals. I cant see ANY of the others carrying on that youth and new thinking. Victim of his party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ditto for Macker (Ronan McManus)

Victim of his party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Following on from what Calibos and Nobodyimportant have said, the "electorate" decided that some change was needed, yet due to being victims of their respective parties, two of Bray's more active councillors, Mick Glynn and Ronan McManus, are gone.
    Yes, Bray could do with a lot of help and certainly the town needs fresh faces to carry this through.
    Looking at the newly elected bunch fills me with dread to be honest.
    The highest polling candidate is constantly in the media highlighting the negativity in the town and blaming "the council". The very council he sits on.

I really can not see where the initiative is going to come from now.

Perhaps I'm wrong! (I hope so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

sallymomo wrote: »
    Following on from what Calibos and Nobodyimportant have said, the "electorate" decided that some change was needed, yet due to being victims of their respective parties, two of Bray's more active councillors, Mick Glynn and Ronan McManus, are gone.
    Yes, Bray could do with a lot of help and certainly the town needs fresh faces to carry this through.
    Looking at the newly elected bunch fills me with dread to be honest.
    The highest polling candidate is constantly in the media highlighting the negativity in the town and blaming "the council". The very council he sits on.

I really can not see where the initiative is going to come from now.

Perhaps I'm wrong! (I hope so)

Would have to agree with you there. Mick Glynn and Ronan Mc put a lot of work into bettering the town without going to town with their PR about it.

Brady on the other hand has consistently put the town down at every opportunity in the media, using the town as a PR tool. I have yet to see or hear of one new initiative from him that has been positive for the town.

I fear for our town and how it will be managed over the coming years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Sorry to see Mick Glynn go out. He did some great stuff for the town with various festivals. I cant see ANY of the others carrying on that youth and new thinking. Victim of his party.

Course he did with his Planet Sound Business getting every event in Bray.

Course he did with his Planet Sound Business getting every event in Bray.

Acoustik Productions do the sound for Bray Summerfest not Planet Sound.

Nice Statement from a Moderator...

No doubt you will furnish us with proof?
    While you are at it, why dont you let the whole community know of all the businesses that benefit from the festivals in Bray
    And how all the other committee members and volunteers benefit financially too?

If the likes of Mick Glynn et al stop there involvment in festivals it is hard to see who will take up the mantle, that's the gist of what has already been said in here by boardsies who like to see Bray promoted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

sallymomo wrote: »
    Nice Statement from a Moderator...

No doubt you will furnish us with proof?
    While you are at it, why dont you let the whole community know of all the businesses that benefit from the festivals in Bray
    And how all the other committee members and volunteers benefit financially too?

If the likes of Mick Glynn et al stop there involvment in festivals it is hard to see who will take up the mantle, that's the gist of what has already been said in here by boardsies who like to see Bray promoted

Moderators are allowed opinions too.

No doubt Businesses do benifit from the Summer Fest & other organisations/groups.

Maybe some new blood will change the tired Festival format 10yrs of the same events, anyone can organise the same event each year, i dont think Mick Gylnn is the life and soul of the town, The People are.

Any Community or Public event i have being too involves Planet sound including the Summer fest.

This is not a attack on Mick Glynn he is a Public figure / Politician We are all entitled to our opinions i respect yours but these are mine.

No doubt Businesses do benifit from the Summer Fest & other organisations/groups.

Maybe some new blood will change the tired Festival format 10yrs of the same events, anyone can organise the same event each year, i dont think Mick Gylnn is the life and soul of the town, The People are.

Any Community or Public event i have being too involves Planet sound including the Summer fest.

This is not a attack on Mick Glynn he is a Public figure / Politician We are all entitled to our opinions i respect yours but these are mine.

I agree, all posters including Moderators, are entitled to their opinions. Its just generally seen that Mods don't usually post a one line dig...

As far as I'm aware, new committee members join each year and similar to all voluntary organisations, have a say in the decision making process - maybe you would consider joining if you think anyone can organise the same event each year?
    I have noticed new events in the last couple of years creeping into the festival that appeal to myself such as the food & garden weekend that have not been running for 10 years. Granted there is always room for improvement.

I certainly don't consider Mick Glynn to be the life and soul of the town, the comments on this thread relate to his failure (and that of others) to get reelected and what that might mean for Bray in the future. His party are not to my specific liking but I am loathe to not give credit where it is due and locally he puts in a lot of effort for the good of the town - I'd hazard a guess that if that time was put into his business that it would benefit more than a couple of festival gigs?

I would only be too thrilled to see someone new come up with new ideas for Bray and have the where with all to see them through.

Maybe the The Real B-man will be chairing the summerfest committee and we can look forward to a summer of interesting activities and prosperity for the town in 2015?

The sound system at the bandstand is supplied by Acoustik... has been for years.

You are entitled to your opinion but you are wrong in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I can't say I'm sorry to see Mick Glynn gone; I know a few people in the Bray Seafront Residents Association and they've told me that after years of ignored complaints about the effect the six week stint of the funfair, plus the various musical events that are staged on the seafront has on them, he finally met with them to hear what they had to say, listened for a short while and then stood up and left halfway through the meeting (presumably because he didn't like what he heard).

I can understand being keen on one's own pet projects but it is beyond arrogant for a public representative to refuse to even hear anything negative about said projects from the people they are supposed to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

So when is the deadline for taking down the posters I've noticed a few Pat Vance ones around the town still and there's one right outside my house. I have nothing wrong with Pat on a personal level he's just not the first face I want to see when I get up and open the window in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

They have 7 days to remove the posters, so should be taken down by this Friday at the latest

So when is the deadline for taking down the posters I've noticed a few Pat Vance ones around the town still and there's one right outside my house. I have nothing wrong with Pat on a personal level he's just not the first face I want to see when I get up and open the window in the morning.

Midnight tonight

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It will be interesting to see how power is divvied up on WCC tomorrow.

It looks like FF and FG have done deals with the FF Gene pool; Nolan, Ruttle and Fox.

Terry Pratchet

John Ryan will be chairman. He was vice-chairman last year. It is unheard of for a vice-chairman from the previous year not to get the chair the following year. Unless something very unusual happens, Ryan will be chair. With someone from FF as vice-chair, possibly Fitzgerald.

DazMarz wrote: »
    It is unheard of for a vice-chairman from the previous year not to get the chair the following year.
    No its not. It happens often after elections.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Christopher Fox is the new Chairman. John Ryan as vice-chairman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Ape Owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Here is Cllr Fortune's take on it
    New council have let down voters-Fortune

Posted by: WicklowNews.net in Latest News June 8, 2014

Independent councillor Tom Fortune claims the majority of the newly elected county council have gave two fingers to the voters of Wicklow.

Reflecting after the council AGM, the first thing I would say nothing has changed despite what the voting public mandated at our local elections just over a week ago.

The control of the council is as it has been for many years. There was a real opportunity to change/reform how council functions, this was ignored despite the mandate from the voters for it.

The “ Inner sanctum” is alive and well. There were even sighs of frustration when candidates were proposed to challenge the “inner sanctum” candidates .

Key decision making roles are again under the control of “ the inner sanctum” Chair, Vice chair, Chairs of SPC’s (with the exception of one SPC chair, I believe this was ALLOWED tactically ).

This group in conjunction with key executives i.e. county manager and some directors form the corporate policy group and therefore control the council.

The extended section of “the inner sanctum “ act then like backbenchers in the DAIL. The rest of mere mortals are then the opposition and considered mavericks ect,ect , WHEN WHAT WE REALLY ARE IS THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE, especially coming out of this recent election.

What went on for 7 days before the AGM was in a word so unfair, there are other words I could use, especially to new councillors. Some of them were shocked with what they experienced, the games, the pretence, lack of democracy ,the speaking out of both sides of mouths at the same time.

It was worse this time then what I have experienced before. I BELIEVE it was to block any real change happening and to ensure control through the”inner sanctum” ,totally ignoring the will of the voters. This needs to be highlighted and highlighted to force real change.

As of now there is a segment of the council (13) that will challenge what is going on, this is very important for proper democracy . This is a bigger number then ever before, maybe it will get bigger when some councillors reflect on what is going on. This group will just have to force the change the voters want.

What happened last Friday was a disgrace, it was “two fingers” to democracy ( the body language was we don’t care ,we will do what we like and you can do nothing about it). THE 13 “opposition” have to challenge this and force real change,like SPC’s having real objectives and be accountable, all business carried out in the council chamber, no cute meetings organising things outside council chamber under the pretence”ah sure we will get no business done in the chamber” what they are really saying is we will not be able to things done in the chamber in the way we see the the world”. We need full and proper minutes of all meetings, we need ACCOUNTABLY and TRANSPARENCY.

THE AGM OF WICKLOW COUNTY COUNCIL 6th JUNE 2014 WAS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF ALL THAT IS WRONG WITH POLITICS AND DEMONSTRATED WHY THE PUBLIC AT LARGE ARE TOTALLY SWITCHED OFF AT PRESENT.

Cllr. Tom Fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

"Tom Fortune claims the majority of the newly elected county council have gave two fingers to the voters of Wicklow."
    "...despite what the voting public mandated at our local elections..."

I am unsure as to how a majority decision could be considered "giving two fingers to the electorate", or how having a minority grouping (if you consider the independents and SF to be one and the same - they are not) on the council could in any way be considered a mandate.

Under PR, it is very rare for any one party to have an overall majority, particularly on a county council. This being true, negotiation is one of the most important skills a representative needs to have. The fact that SF and the independents could not build an alternative majority in advance of the AGM is an indication that they might not be up to the job of delivering for the people they represent or that the "mandate" for change was not as strong as they would have liked (a bit of both IMHO).

You may disagree that this is how it *should* work, but this is how politics *does* work.

"Tom Fortune claims the majority of the newly elected county council have gave two fingers to the voters of Wicklow."
    "...despite what the voting public mandated at our local elections..."

I am unsure as to how a majority decision could be considered "giving two fingers to the electorate", or how having a minority grouping (if you consider the independents and SF to be one and the same - they are not) on the council could in any way be considered a mandate.

Under PR, it is very rare for any one party to have an overall majority, particularly on a county council. This being true, negotiation is one of the most important skills a representative needs to have. The fact that SF and the independents could not build an alternative majority in advance of the AGM is an indication that they might not be up to the job of delivering for the people they represent or that the "mandate" for change was not as strong as they would have liked (a bit of both IMHO).

You may disagree that this is how it *should* work, but this is how politics *does* work.

I'm running with the assumption that this was written by Ronan "Macker" McManus (going by the username). A man whom I greatly admire, and a man who's mother I admired even more. I had the honour of meeting Liz McManus a number of times. What a lady. Superb does not even begin to describe the work she put in for the people of Wicklow.

Councillor Ronan McManus was a brilliant councillor for Bray. And he was, sadly, a victim of his party. Same goes for Mick Glynn.

A long time ago, in a County not so Far, Far Away...

In the darkest depths of the Death-Council Star, Emperor Pat Vancetine cackles, shooting blue/purple lightning from his fingers. "Good, good!" he cackles, as Christopher Foxwalker, Jedi Knight, hacks down Darth Brader (who's breathing sounds awfully "labour"ed; the ghosts of the past becoming one with the Council Chambers). "Your hate has made you powerful!" Emperor Vancetine rasps. Darth Blake appears in a ghostly form, goading Foxwalker. "Release your anger, and we can rule Wicklow together! You, me and the bould Pat!!!"

Princess Leia Whitmora cries out "HELP ME, OBI-JOE-BEHOBI, YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE!!!" Obi-Joe comes flying in, robe flying, "Stop, Foxwalker! Don't be seduced by the Fine Fáil side of the force!"

Bren-Dán Jinn and Han Fortunolo then arrive, making this clusterfúck of a Star Wars analogy even messier.

"Aw, screw it, dude. Let's go bowling..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Ok that was beautiful.

Maybe Ronan and Mick will appear in the council chambers in Spirit to give sage advice.....Blue semi transparent force spirits :D

DazMarz wrote: »
    I'm running with the assumption that this was written by Ronan "Macker" McManus (going by the username).

Yup, that's me. Going to be stuck with the "cllrmcmanus" username as I cant change it!
    Calibos wrote: »
    Maybe Ronan and Mick will appear in the council chambers in Spirit to give sage advice.....Blue semi transparent force spirits :D

Maybe blue for Mick, but mine would definitely be red.

I can imagine Ronan striding out of the chambers after that event for outgoing Councillors muttering the words of an ex california governator.
    I'll be Baacckk!!
    :D

Which I've no doubt you will be once voters realise that the magic money tree they were promised by other parties and groupings doesn't exist

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    I can imagine Ronan striding out of the chambers after that event for outgoing Councillors muttering the words of an ex california governator.

:D

Which I've no doubt you will be once voters realise that the magic money tree they were promised by other parties and groupings doesn't exist

Yep, can't wait to see Mr. Brady magicing that money out of nowhere. I wonder if he'll actually vote for a budget this time.

Still can't believe that he voted against that playground on the beach which is great for local and visitors to the town...... then again, positivity about Bray never seems to be his bag.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Yep, can't wait to see Mr. Brady magicing that money out of nowhere. I wonder if he'll actually vote for a budget this time.

Still can't believe that he voted against that playground on the beach which is great for local and visitors to the town...... then again, positivity about Bray never seems to be his bag.

He kept using the "positive" word in his speech

http://wicklowcouncilwatch.com/cllr-john-brady-voted-bray-cathaoirleach/

Do the New Council areas even have their own budgets?

Terry Pratchet

Well then... it must be true.

Can't wait to see his initiatives for the unemployed. Last time I read about his engagement with a business was when he was complaining (in the press would you believe) to local employer LIDL about not supplying recycling facilities on their property.

As the supermarket pointed out, they are tennants..... way to go councillor!

zoobizoo wrote: »

If councillors are terrified of supporting anything just in case some people might possibly oppose it, they will just allow things to stagnate and nothing will ever get done.

It's a very real end result of populist politics and it won't serve the people of the town well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On that note, I'd also love to know who voted against a recent proposal for the Sugarloaf Way, a signposted path linking Bray via Bray Head and the two Sugarloafs to the Wicklow Way. Sounds like an absolute no-brainer to me.

http://www.wicklownews.net/2014/03/greens-councillors-have-missed-tourism-opportunity/

https://www.facebook.com/thesugarloafway

So many newbies, it'll be interesting to see how they get on...

Add in, the chairs of most of the Municipal Areas have been decided this week:

Arklow: TBD at the Municipal meeting today.

Baltinglass: Pat Doran (FF)

Bray: John Brady (SF)

Greystones: Tom Fortune (Ind)

Wicklow: Pat Casey (FF)

In 4 of the 5 areas, there are six councillors. One will lose out on being the chair of the municipal area. Be interesting to see who misses out in the respective areas.

In Bray, it's anyone's guess. Brady has already got it for 2014/15. At a guess, I'd hazard that (in no particular order) Fox, Vance, Ryan and Behan will be the others. O'Brien, Thornhill and Matthews are relatively new to the game, and may not get it. But who knows. Possibly O'Brien could get it. Can't see either of the other two getting it.

Wicklow, I can see Winters and Snell definitely getting a go as Chair. How it will be whacked up between the 3 new councillors (Cullen, Kavanagh, Nolan) remains to be seen.

Arklow is a no brainer; Annesley, Bourke, Fitzgerald, Kennedy and Murphy will all get a go. Just remains to see what order. McDonald will be frozen out.

Greystones, I can see Mitchell, McLoughlin, Walsh and Whitmore getting a go as chair after Fortune. Again, SF getting frozen out and Lawless not getting a go.

Baltinglass, I can see Tommy Cullen losing out and the others all getting a spin.

It will be an interesting time ahead, regardless of what happens.

• Advertisement

Arklow Local Electoral Area – Pat Fitzgerald, Pat Kennedy, Tommy Annesley, Sylvester Bourke, Miriam Murphy and Mary McDonald.

Definite SF freeze out

Baltinglass Local Electoral Area – Tommy Cullen, Gerry O’Neil, Jim Ruttle, Edward Timmins, Vincent Blake and Pat Doran.

Not sure

Bray Local Electoral Area – John Brady, Joe Behan, Christopher Fox, Oliver O’Brien, Brendan Thornhill, Steven Matthews, John Ryan and Pat Vance.

I suspect Ryan and Vance will be frozen out

Greystones Local Electoral Area – Jennifer Whitmore, Tom Fortune, Derek Mitchel, Grainne McLoughlin, Gerry Walsh and Nicola Lawless.

Lawless probably frozen out but who knows.

Wicklow Local Electoral Area – John Snell, Daire Nolan, Pat Casey, Shay Cullen, Irene Winters and Pat Kavanagh.

Seems obvious to me that Kavanagh will be frozen out.

It's all very interesting in terms of the next general election too.
    I'd say there'll be a big fight for FF nomination and that SF will probably run Brady plus McDonald or possibly Lawless.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement