Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow result

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Yep, can't wait to see Mr. Brady magicing that money out of nowhere. I wonder if he'll actually vote for a budget this time.

Still can't believe that he voted against that playground on the beach which is great for local and visitors to the town...... then again, positivity about Bray never seems to be his bag.

He kept using the "positive" word in his speech

http://wicklowcouncilwatch.com/cllr-john-brady-voted-bray-cathaoirleach/

Do the New Council areas even have their own budgets?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Well then... it must be true.

Can't wait to see his initiatives for the unemployed. Last time I read about his engagement with a business was when he was complaining (in the press would you believe) to local employer LIDL about not supplying recycling facilities on their property.

As the supermarket pointed out, they are tennants..... way to go councillor!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

zoobizoo wrote: »

Still can't believe that he voted against that playground on the beach which is great for local and visitors to the town...... then again, positivity about Bray never seems to be his bag.

If councillors are terrified of supporting anything just in case some people might possibly oppose it, they will just allow things to stagnate and nothing will ever get done.

It's a very real end result of populist politics and it won't serve the people of the town well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On that note, I'd also love to know who voted against a recent proposal for the Sugarloaf Way, a signposted path linking Bray via Bray Head and the two Sugarloafs to the Wicklow Way. Sounds like an absolute no-brainer to me.

http://www.wicklownews.net/2014/03/greens-councillors-have-missed-tourism-opportunity/

https://www.facebook.com/thesugarloafway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

So many newbies, it'll be interesting to see how they get on...

Add in, the chairs of most of the Municipal Areas have been decided this week:

Arklow: TBD at the Municipal meeting today.

Baltinglass: Pat Doran (FF)

Bray: John Brady (SF)

Greystones: Tom Fortune (Ind)

Wicklow: Pat Casey (FF)

In 4 of the 5 areas, there are six councillors. One will lose out on being the chair of the municipal area. Be interesting to see who misses out in the respective areas.

In Bray, it's anyone's guess. Brady has already got it for 2014/15. At a guess, I'd hazard that (in no particular order) Fox, Vance, Ryan and Behan will be the others. O'Brien, Thornhill and Matthews are relatively new to the game, and may not get it. But who knows. Possibly O'Brien could get it. Can't see either of the other two getting it.

Wicklow, I can see Winters and Snell definitely getting a go as Chair. How it will be whacked up between the 3 new councillors (Cullen, Kavanagh, Nolan) remains to be seen.

Arklow is a no brainer; Annesley, Bourke, Fitzgerald, Kennedy and Murphy will all get a go. Just remains to see what order. McDonald will be frozen out.

Greystones, I can see Mitchell, McLoughlin, Walsh and Whitmore getting a go as chair after Fortune. Again, SF getting frozen out and Lawless not getting a go.

Baltinglass, I can see Tommy Cullen losing out and the others all getting a spin.

It will be an interesting time ahead, regardless of what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Arklow Local Electoral Area – Pat Fitzgerald, Pat Kennedy, Tommy Annesley, Sylvester Bourke, Miriam Murphy and Mary McDonald.

Definite SF freeze out

Baltinglass Local Electoral Area – Tommy Cullen, Gerry O’Neil, Jim Ruttle, Edward Timmins, Vincent Blake and Pat Doran.

Not sure

Bray Local Electoral Area – John Brady, Joe Behan, Christopher Fox, Oliver O’Brien, Brendan Thornhill, Steven Matthews, John Ryan and Pat Vance.

I suspect Ryan and Vance will be frozen out

Greystones Local Electoral Area – Jennifer Whitmore, Tom Fortune, Derek Mitchel, Grainne McLoughlin, Gerry Walsh and Nicola Lawless.

Lawless probably frozen out but who knows.

Wicklow Local Electoral Area – John Snell, Daire Nolan, Pat Casey, Shay Cullen, Irene Winters and Pat Kavanagh.

Seems obvious to me that Kavanagh will be frozen out.

It's all very interesting in terms of the next general election too.
    I'd say there'll be a big fight for FF nomination and that SF will probably run Brady plus McDonald or possibly Lawless.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement