Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot open box to read meter update

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I posted last week about not being able to open the box to read he meter after recieving an esimated bill. Una kindly arranged to send out a key. We received it but it did not work. We rang Electric Ireland and they told us to ring the ESB. The ESB said they would send us a steel key and if that didn't work they would send someone out to fix it. The steel key didnt work and I rang the ESB this morning and they said they can't help us, not their problem and they are not responsible for the doors and 'not to worry about it'... but our bill is high. We dont want to ge in trouble for tampering with the door but we need to get it open.

Any ideas on how to help ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Any pics of the door and lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Actually sorry I don't but I can take a pic when I go home. It looks perfectly fine as does the triangle shaped lock thingy but the key just will not turn in it and we are afraid to force it too much incase we break it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Had a similar issue a few years ago, the lock should turn unless the plastic surround is warped. Maybe push the door fully in or give it a good wiggle about as you try turn the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Sadderday,

Thanks for your post.
    Sadderday wrote:
    Una kindly arranged to send out a key. We received it but it did not work... The ESB said they would send us a steel key and if that didn't work they would send someone out to fix it. The steel key didnt work and I rang the ESB this morning and they said they can't help us

Sorry to hear that neither key worked. Did you previously get the meter box door replaced? 

I would follow jonny24ie's advice above; try pushing in the door or otherwise slightly nudging it in different directions as you turn the key, and see if that works. 

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Thanks everyone, I'll get himself to give that a try later on. We moved in six months ago - never got the door replaced.

Gas box opens fine.... gonna give it another try.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement