Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Comedies

• 26-05-2014 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭

As usually happens at the start of the Summer schedule for me, I look at whats still unwatched on my server and try and catch up seeing as there's less new shows going round. This year I noticed I'd a lot of comedies started but not finished. The one I really stuck with was The Crazy Ones but, alas, that's no more. Others such as Trophy Wife, The Millers, Mike & Molly, 2 Broke Girls, Hello Ladies and Super Fun Night, I'd kind of started but tuned out of.

I've found a lot of recent comedies to be dreadful. Trophy Wife wasn't at all interesting and, to be honest, I find the premise a bit stupid. The Millers, on the face of it, should be good given that it has Margo Martingdale and Will Arnett in the cast but, as Will Arnett vehicles go, I think it pales in cmparision to Up All Night.

While it would be great to get another Frasier or Cheers from the major networks, I can't see it happening at the moment. Perhaps it's my taste but The Crazy Ones was good because it was the best of a bad lot.

The comedies I am greatly enjoying are not network shows, but are subscription services like HBO etc. Stuff like "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia", "Silicon Valley" and "Veep" are brilliant but they've very different from the generic, dumbed down, safe network shows. That said, being a network show was never a barier to shows like Frasier etc from being classics. What do you think? Are network comedies nosediving in quality and are we likely to see anything decent come along the way things are shaping up, or was 2014 a particularly poor year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is absolutely brilliant - takes a few episodes to find its feet (in my opinion) but once it does, it's probably the best comedy out there.

The Goldbergs is also great and criminally underrated - well worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Geez, forgot B99 & The Goldbergs! They really were the shining lights this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I liked Sirens. It is a paramedic version of what Brooklyn Nine-Nine is to cops. Not as good but still enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I liked Surviving Jack but it was cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The Goldbergs is also great and criminally underrated - well worth watching.

I only watched the first 2 episodes oft this but couldn't get into it? Is it a grower? Should I go back and give it another chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I only watched the first 2 episodes oft this but couldn't get into it? Is it a grower? Should I go back and give it another chance?

It certainly got better as the season went on, but I really liked it from the beginning, so hard to say - it might just not be your cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I was the same but It grew on me big time. Give it another go .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I liked it from the get go I must say. It's a happy little show. What raises it above the ordinary though is the mother and father. The mother sepectially. It's a great show overall and, actually, all of the cast put in very strong performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just started watching Uncle on BBC. Enjoyed the first episode.

It could turn out to be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Watch the Goldbergs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

About a Boy was good, not amazing but much better than The Goldbergs I thought, I'm going to revisit it though after it getting all this praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

If you like Veep then you will like Legit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

About a Boy was good, not amazing but much better than The Goldbergs I thought, I'm going to revisit it though after it getting all this praise.

The lead guy and the kid have great chemistry and work well together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

ElNino wrote: »
    I liked Sirens. It is a paramedic version of what Brooklyn Nine-Nine is to cops. Not as good but still enjoyable.

Loved the original UK version, good bit more edgy than this. This series is OK though.

Love Brooklyn 99 and used to enjoy Enlisted until they cancelled it.

Advertisement