Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

York Street, Irish Town, Alexandra Quay Area to live

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

Ah! I suppose I get what you mean now! You're talking about the other 'house-looking' flats on the other corner. Yeah, they should be warmer I imagine, since they're kinda more compact and have more surroundings and not facing the windy river...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

One thing I would say for Dublin is that you usually don't get approached by "dodgy" people unless you give them reason to do so - stare at them, suddenly close your bag whilst making eye contact with them, talk loudly, bang into them etc. It's not like we're living in a city like Jo'burg where the violence is random and indiscriminate bred from decades of violent civil unrest.

If you fanny around waving your smartphone about the place or are overtly ostentatious in a working class area (new car/using the iPad at the bus stop or whatever), well obviously you'll encounter trouble.

At the end of the day, junkies and scumbags or whatever you want to believe throng the areas outside of D4 are still people and if you don't provoke them, they won't touch you.

Feck sake. You'd think North Dublin was the same as the favelas from City of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Replicate

I'm a foreigner who's lived in Ireland for 8 years and have rented in Killiney, Raheny and Drumcondra. For the last six years I've lived in the house me and my husband bought six years ago in East Wall. And I love it.
    It is a residential area where you have a mix of people who've lived here for donkeys years, young families who like us couldn't afford to buy anywhere else central during the boom and lots of young professionals renting. People say hi to you on the street and I feel safe.
    Of course you'll have annoying teenagers hanging about, specially in the summer, but they are pretty harmless and to be honest I think most of us have to admit that it's part of teenage hood to be hanging about... At least I did and I can safely say I turned out pretty alright. ;)
    Bare in mind though, you live in a capital city and you need to be careful anywhere. Just be streetwise...

Advertisement