Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a PT. Is there anywhere I can do Regional Work that also has a gym?

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

If you're just in this thread to call me obsessive or whatever, don't bother.

So I usually work as a Personal Trainer and have a big interest in Powerlifting and all aspects of fitness. I'm desperate to be able to hit the gym during my 3 months specified work. I'm living in Melbourne currently but don't care where I have to go or what type of work I have to do.

I just need to be able to get to a gym, even once or twice a week for an hour to maintain my current level of strength. It's hard enough to get a job in the fitness industry and it's twice as hard when you look like you don't even lift!

And no, working on a farm or doing construction all day is not ''as good as any workout''.

I know cities like Darwin or Adelaide are considered specified regions, but I have no trade skills. Would it be handy enough to get a general labouring job? I can lift heavy stuff no bother!

Anyone able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

CM24 wrote: »
    If you're just in this thread to call me obsessive or whatever, don't bother.

So I usually work as a Personal Trainer and have a big interest in Powerlifting and all aspects of fitness. I'm desperate to be able to hit the gym during my 3 months specified work. I'm living in Melbourne currently but don't care where I have to go or what type of work I have to do.

I just need to be able to get to a gym, even once or twice a week for an hour to maintain my current level of strength. It's hard enough to get a job in the fitness industry and it's twice as hard when you look like you don't even lift!

And no, working on a farm or doing construction all day is not ''as good as any workout''.

I know cities like Darwin or Adelaide are considered specified regions, but I have no trade skills. Would it be handy enough to get a general labouring job? I can lift heavy stuff no bother!

Anyone able to help?

If you have no farm experience, you may struggle to get farm work in general, let alone be in the position to be picky based on fitness facilities.

I'm not saying working on a farm/construction site is as good as a workout but be creative. Get some empty sacks and fill them with sand for back squats and overhead lifts. Filled buckets for farmers carrys/kettle bells etc.

Maybe look at investing in a TRX that you can hook up on trees etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is where I'd be looking first. The cities and large towns in regional areas.
    Batgurl wrote: »
    I'm not saying working on a farm/construction site is as good as a workout but be creative. Get some empty sacks and fill them with sand for back squats and overhead lifts. Filled buckets for farmers carrys/kettle bells etc.

Maybe look at investing in a TRX that you can hook up on trees etc?

Sandbags have their uses, and they'd work for back squats for beginners maybe. But they aren't going to be an option for the OP who is probably squatting over 150kg regularly. Very few options other than barbell. Pistols might be an option as they need less of a load.

TRX also isn't going provide a whole lot of resistance.

@CM24, you could look at some of advanced BW stuff or weighted pistols etc if you can't find a gym. Should be plenty places to do pull ups. You could probably get your hands on a keg or barrel and work out some improvised strongman routine type training. Gab and axe and make a log press ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Maffra, about three hours out of Melbourne. Lots of dairy farms there willing to give anyone a shot if they have a decent work ethic. A car is a bonus if you have one. There a town about fifteen mins away called Sale, and there's a 24/7 gym there. Call 51471600 and ask for Ron or Marg

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Port Lincoln South australia, 3 24hr gyms, I worked on an oyster farm for a while before getting into construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Would the majority of farms be located within walking/cycling distance of a town? I was hoping to head somewhere a bit warmer than Melbourne cos I'd imagine it'd get cold working outdoors during the Winter months! Not too fussy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Would the majority of farms be located within walking/cycling distance of a town? I was hoping to head somewhere a bit warmer than Melbourne cos I'd imagine it'd get cold working outdoors during the Winter months! Not too fussy though.

You'll be lucky if there's a decent size town within 50km's of most farms.

Advertisement