Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast pump questions

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I'm currently exclusively breastfeeding my 3month old and have just started expressing the odd bottle so I can have a few hours to myself the odd time. I've been using a manual pump I've had from my first baby and it's a bit crappy really, and tends to leak (so frustrating ending up with your liquid gold spilt down your front!). It's a tommee tippee closer to nature.

We're going home (Dublin) for a months holiday and between catching up with friends and a few events on I know I will want to express more and possibly rent or buy an alternative pump. I just wondered is an electric pump more effective? I'm a little freaked out by the idea of attaching myself to a machine but I could get over it if it was easier/higher yield. Does anyone have any recommendations and/or advice on hireage or second hand sales? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I have the medela swing and found it great, keep an eye out on amazon for a good price for it. It generally took me about 10 minutes to express 200ml with it.

When I first started breastfeeding I rented the hospital grade medela to establish my supply after a section, It was amazing. I think it was €100 for a months rental which isn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Used the swing too and found it great. I would have no problem with a second hand one, you sterilize the important bits anyway and I think an lot of women get them but hardly use them after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Thanks, I've had a look on an auction site over here and I can get a second hand one for less than the price of a rental. On sterilising- up to now I've just been boiling stuff in a big pot- is that going to cut it or do I need something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Thanks, I've had a look on an auction site over here and I can get a second hand one for less than the price of a rental. On sterilising- up to now I've just been boiling stuff in a big pot- is that going to cut it or do I need something else?

Boiling water is absolutely fine for sterilising. :) I'd say a steam steriliser would probably be a bit easier and more cost efficient for daily use, but for occasional use I'd stick with the boiling water.

Might be worth asking around family/friends in Dublin to see if you could borrow one while you're home? But if that's not possible, I wouldn't bother buying one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My daughter is 9 weeks now and I'm exclusively bfing also. Id say the Medela swing all the way. Well... If ur only pumping the odd bottle anyway. I pump once a day and find the swing great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Medela seem to be the biz alright. I have the double one in a backpack (can't remember the name) and I sterilise it in a microwave steamer. I also have a Avent manual pump for back up (camping, out & about) and it's pretty decent! Got it half price in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

plus one on the microwave sterilizer. there's a cafe near me and I've seen them take the little box from customers and microwave it for then, very handy.

I also got 2 swings given to me, they lasted about 4 years of constant use until the motor went, but they were easy to use and clean, you can get spare parts in my local mother care.

Advertisement