Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended Air To Water Heat Pump

• 26-05-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am looking to get a Air to water heat pump for my new build which is 2700sqfoot and am finding it very hard to make a decision on the brand to use.

We got a proce for Ochsner but ruled them out and they where very very expensive.

We have also got a quote for Dimplex and Daikin and Thermia.

I have heard that Ochsner are top of the market, can anyone recommend the next in line?

Could I also get peoples opnion which is better Daikin or Thermia.

We are putting underfloor heating throughout the house and we are insulating to a high standard.

I have read loads on this forum regarding heatpumps but I seem to be more confused now, I would like to get a bit of direction regarding the ones we have selected or are there others that we are missing and should look into?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Like yourself Ochsner was the preferred but there is no affordability on it for a standard new build. Thermia and Danfoss are the same make and I went for the latter simply because the main reseller of the Thermia seems to have left a few boardies high and dry on the Nibe. It does seem to be that everyone has a pitch for there respective models. Came close to the Mitsubishi ecodan as the fan goes faster and slower ? No real knowledge of why but thats the example of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 john f 4g63

What about a heliotherm heat pump they have a very good cop. They are expensive too but not sure how they compare to ochsner on price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Heating NewBuild

Do Helitherm also do A2W, I though they just did Geothermial. Do you know who supplys and fits them?

Do Helitherm also do A2W, I though they just did Geothermial. Do you know who supplys and fits them?

Ya i believe they make a2w units as well. Think it depends what part of the country you are in as i know there is a place in kilarney that supply and fit them and i think there is a place in Galway as well. I am looking at getting a heliotherm but hard to find people who have them as they are fairly expensive.

Ya i believe they make a2w units as well. Think it depends what part of the country you are in as i know there is a place in kilarney that supply and fit them and i think there is a place in Galway as well. I am looking at getting a heliotherm but hard to find people who have them as they are fairly expensive.

I talked to the lad in Tuam (Galway) and would only go the Geo route which was approx 8k more. Its not as expensive as Ochsner which would be another 10/12k more again (for the A2W). Great COP, good system but I worried what I would do if he shuts up shop.

• Advertisement

I talked to the lad in Tuam (Galway) and would only go the Geo route which was approx 8k more. Its not as expensive as Ochsner which would be another 10/12k more again (for the A2W). Great COP, good system but I worried what I would do if he shuts up shop.

Ya suppose that is true but then again could probably say that about a lot of suppliers of heat pumps as there is so many types there now. Its just hard to whether its worth spending the extra to get the heliotherm or ochsner over the other cheaper heat pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Heating NewBuild

I am awaiting a price on the HelioTherm but at the moment I am swaying towards the Danfoss. I am hoping to go to visit a few houses that have it installed and see from there.

Anyone here have any reports on Danfoss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭jarvis_c82

I have a Danfoss unit fitted and operating for the past 18 months.

Getting the settings just right for the house was a little tricky but have found the right setting that fits the house.

jarvis_c82 wrote: »
    I have a Danfoss unit fitted and operating for the past 18 months.

Getting the settings just right for the house was a little tricky but have found the right setting that fits the house.

Hi jarvis_c82, can you tell us which Danfoss you have fitted and the KW size. Is it with the 180lt hot water tank built in and how do you find it ? Also, underfloor ?

Does anyone have rads in the bathroom in use with there HP?

We have the DHP - AQ unit 3 - 13 KW unit outside with the Midi controller in the utility with the water tank seperate upstairs in hot press. Underfloor heating all over the ground floor and upstairs in the bathroom / ensuites.

• Advertisement

We have the DHP - AQ unit 3 - 13 KW unit
    Does "unit 3" mean something. I have no detail outside of DHP - QA 13 KW.

Sorry, the 13KW unit is the one I have.

Sorry, the 13KW unit is the one I have.

Thanks jarvis_c82.. What size is the house ? cavity ? Is it a new build; airtight etc.. Any idea what the monthly costs are starting too look like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

Hi,

I am looking to get a Air to water heat pump for my new build which is 2700sqfoot and am finding it very hard to make a decision on the brand to use.

We got a proce for Ochsner but ruled them out and they where very very expensive.

We have also got a quote for Dimplex and Daikin and Thermia.

I have heard that Ochsner are top of the market, can anyone recommend the next in line?

Could I also get peoples opnion which is better Daikin or Thermia.

We are putting underfloor heating throughout the house and we are insulating to a high standard.

I have read loads on this forum regarding heatpumps but I seem to be more confused now, I would like to get a bit of direction regarding the ones we have selected or are there others that we are missing and should look into?

Thanks in advance.

Well between Daikin and Danfos, at least Daikin has an office in Dublin.
    I would always see who has a good back-up service in case of potential problems. Same would go for commissioning the heat pump and installer who is familiar with putting them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

I have decided on a diakin, house is 2750sq ft with ufh up and downstairs, hoping to get very good degree of airtightness, supplier we are going with has spec'd a 14kw heat pump. anybody with any thoughts on this, I am wondering is pump to big and would a 12kw pump be more than sufficient for our build. would like to hear any thoughts from people in the same boat as myself or currently using a similer type system, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

I have decided on a diakin, house is 2750sq ft with ufh up and downstairs, hoping to get very good degree of airtightness, supplier we are going with has spec'd a 14kw heat pump. anybody with any thoughts on this, I am wondering is pump to big and would a 12kw pump be more than sufficient for our build. would like to hear any thoughts from people in the same boat as myself or currently using a similer type system, thanks

Shouldn't make a difference as its an invertor unit so should speed drive to match demand. I'd prefer to be a tad larger on an air source unit as the output will drop away as the outside temp drops, so the 14kw will quickly become a 10kw in cold weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

As said above, the compressors on the Daikin units are inverter rated, so they can modulate.
    If i remember correctly the Daikin ones modulate up to 30%.
    It would depend on the heat loss of your house regarding the size of the unit, but generally the air-to-water heat pumps are sized slightly larger than a geothermal due to the fluctuating out door temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Condenser wrote: »
    Shouldn't make a difference as its an invertor unit so should speed drive to match demand. I'd prefer to be a tad larger on an air source unit as the output will drop away as the outside temp drops, so the 14kw will quickly become a 10kw in cold weather.

Thanks Condenser, just wondering if the bigger heat pump is more expensive to run or is the higher cost just to buy the bigger pump and the running/electricity cost is the same to run a 12 or 14kw pump, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Thanks Condenser, just wondering if the bigger heat pump is more expensive to run or is the higher cost just to buy the bigger pump and the running/electricity cost is the same to run a 12 or 14kw pump, thanks

Invertor units are cheaper to run when the compressor is running mid range. The closer it gets to full load the less efficient it becomes. At full load an invertor would be more costly to run that a single speed unit. The only difference to you would be the purchase cost which should be only a matter of a couple of hundred.
    I'd be more concerned about the installation practices than the size of the unit itself regarding how expensive it will be to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Doorcase

Hi, Just wondering how you getting on with your air to water pump. Hoping to build in 2016 and plannng on air to water

• Advertisement
Advertisement