Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel like there's no good games out on the next-gen yet?

Options
  • 26-05-2014 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I got a PS4 last Christmas and I've been looking up games every few weeks to see what's out/coming out and as far as I've seen there really isn't anything that interests me.

I currently only have FIFA, Killzone (which I didn't like) and I used to have Assassins Creed Black Flag but I really don't like the Assassins Creed series so I sold it. So basically all I play is FIFA, which I love but I'd prefer to have a story-based game to play

What games are coming out in the next few months which could be considered to be game of the year contenders? I know Watch Dogs is out tomorrow but that doesn't really interest me, although I probably will get it as a start-of summer present to myself in June :)

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

What games do you like? whats your last console, and what last 5 games did you buy for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

folan wrote: »
    What games do you like? whats your last console, and what last 5 games did you buy for it?

I'm usually a big fan of sci-fi, sports and simulation games. I prefer third person over first person but I wouldn't avoid purchasing a game over that, it's just a small matter of preference.

I was playing PC mostly before I got my PS4. Only reason I got it was because my laptop broke.

Last 5 games bought:
    Mass Effect 1 & 2 - Probably the two best games I've ever played.
    Far Cry 3 - Loved it
    Dead Island - Meh
    Saints Row The Third - Thought it was brilliant.
    Bioshock Pack (1, 2 and Infinite) - Only got halfway through Bioshock, good game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Eh, theres enough for me to justify my PS4 purchase certainly. But every gen is slow at the beginning, I think it was worst last time.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Eh, theres enough for me to justify my PS4 purchase certainly. But every gen is slow at the beginning, I think it was worst last time.

What games did you buy? Just out of curiosity, and were they much good? I prefer hearing reviews from people who've actually played the game themselves than hearing from IGN and magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Smaller scale games like The Witness and Among the Sleep would be two titles I'd be keeping an eye on soon.

AAA wise, there's not that much out due in the Summer months. Murdered: Soul Suspect looks interesting and is out in a couple of weeks. Then there's The Last of Us Remastered in June. The Metro games are getting some rather spiffy looking re-releases too so I'd definitely check them out. Come August there's a steady stream of promising releases coming though.

In the meantime I'd be playing the likes of Infamous: Second Son, Resogun, Wolfenstein, Rayman Legends, Child of Light and TowerFall Ascension if I was in your shoes on the PS4.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    Smaller scale games like The Witness and Among the Sleep would be two titles I'd be keeping an eye on soon.

AAA wise, there's not that much out due in the Summer months. Murdered: Soul Suspect looks interesting and is out in a couple of weeks. Then there's The Last of Us Remastered in June. The Metro games are getting some rather spiffy looking re-releases too so I'd definitely check them out. Come August there's a steady stream of promising releases coming though.

In the meantime I'd be playing the likes of Infamous: Second Son, Resogun, Wolfenstein, Rayman Legends, Child of Light and TowerFall Ascension if I was in your shoes on the PS4.

I heard that the Last of Us was put back until Christmas, or was that just a false rumour?

I might pick up Infamous actually, never played any of them before. I presume they made Second Son in a way that would let those who swapped allegiances and went from 360 to PS4 understand it fully?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Hotale.com wrote: »
    What games did you buy? Just out of curiosity, and were they much good? I prefer hearing reviews from people who've actually played the game themselves than hearing from IGN and magazines.

My ps4 collection includes (including stuff I've traded in or swapped)

Knack
    Killzone
    Assasins creed
    Call of duty
    Infamous
    Wolfenstein
    Tombraider DE
    Child of light
    Resogun
    Outlast

Satisfied with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I heard that the Last of Us was put back until Christmas, or was that just a false rumour?

I might pick up Infamous actually, never played any of them before. I presume they made Second Son in a way that would let those who swapped allegiances and went from 360 to PS4 understand it fully?
    As far as I'm aware, it's still due June 20th. I assume the rumours you had seen related to this?

As for Infamous, yes I believe you don't need to have played the previous games to enjoy it. I'm open to correction on that one though but it's what I've seen mention around these parts.

gizmo wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, it's still due June 20th. I assume the rumours you had seen related to this?

As for Infamous, yes I believe you don't need to have played the previous games to enjoy it. I'm open to correction on that one though but it's what I've seen mention around these parts.

Yep that's the link I saw. Must have read it wrong previously because i thought it was confirmed that it was delayed :p

• It's hardly been 6 months since release. Think you could be waiting another year like every other generation of console.

Also, depends on what you define as 'good'. Plenty of 'good' titles but cross platform is going to be part of this gen for another year at least. Until developers focus on new gen titles only then again see above.

I recently picked up the excellent suprise that is Wolfenstien: The New order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah, am liking Wolfenstein. Really well scripted story. Not the Last of Us good but good enough for me to want to watch the cutscenes.
    Play a lot of BF4 MP too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's absolutely feck all on them to make me want to buy a One or PS4. It's made even worse since I have a decent PC. All generations of console start slow and it's just getting worse now because it takes so long to develop games now you can't fire off launch titles in 6-12 months without severely compromising them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kdave2

Not only that xbox 360 and Ps3 are still extremely popular and powerful consoles so most of the ps4 xbox one games will be ports...like watch dogs etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do you like mmo? If so give ffxiv a go,its beautiful on ps4.

Do you like mmo? If so give ffxiv a go,its beautiful on ps4.

I've been told to buy this by my friend, never played any others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I got a PS4 last Christmas and I've been looking up games every few weeks to see what's out/coming out and as far as I've seen there really isn't anything that interests me.

I currently only have FIFA, Killzone (which I didn't like) and I used to have Assassins Creed Black Flag but I really don't like the Assassins Creed series so I sold it. So basically all I play is FIFA, which I love but I'd prefer to have a story-based game to play

What games are coming out in the next few months which could be considered to be game of the year contenders? I know Watch Dogs is out tomorrow but that doesn't really interest me, although I probably will get it as a start-of summer present to myself in June :)

Any ideas?
    You should buy titanfall its truly next gen and is epic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

You should buy titanfall its truly next gen and is epic...

While I love titanfall. I disagree to say iya surely next gen. Play the 360 version then the x1 version their is nearly nothing different. I love it but its no way it's surely next gen unless your been sarcastic ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

[Obvious Troll] Wow,
    I bought a WiiU and have plenty of great games to play!
    Sucks to be you guys! ;) [/Obvious Troll]

• 2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    While I love pitfall. I disagree to say iya surely next gen. Play the 360 version then the x1 version their is nearly nothing different. I love it but its no way it's surely next gen unless your been sarcastic ha

Think he's coming from a innovation perspective as it has a relationship between COD. People were getting bored of the COd formula and Titanfall made it refeshing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Yeah its definitely stopping me, I have been absolutely wrecked by steam sales, humble bundles and ps plus. Paying more than 10 quid for a game like say wolfenstien feels like an affront to me at this stage, mainly because i bracket games like that as 10 hour wonders. Problem is sony catapult 4 games a month at me (with the vita). And I seem to average another 10 a year through steam sales. Combine it with games i might be paying friends I hardly get through 1 a month.

The old kind of games i pay full price for would be a good flagship rpg or sandbox title like a ff or mass effect or gta 5, or exceptionally good games.

Finally, the graphical leap isn't as big as the ps2 to the ps3 (might be one day) so im quite content to wait it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

OP, what games out in the first 6 months / year of the last gen did you find better?

Just for perspective
    Last 5 games bought:
    Mass Effect 1 [2 years in 360 life]
    ME2 [4.5 years into 360 life]
    Far Cry 3 - [7 years into 360 life]
    And so on.

The great games, built for the systems, when devs can spend a bit less time on tools and more on design take time, and even more time as the quality requirements and complexity increases each generation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've been told to buy this by my friend, never played any others though.

You don't need to have played the others :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Bandit 6

Any ideas?

Thats your problem, you got a ps4. Should have got an xbox one, forza and titanfall are great next gen games.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is anyone else sick of the term Next-Gen yet? Especially since it gets thrown around ad nauseum, and doesn't even make sense anymore. You might as well say "new games". At least until you want to define what a next gen game is. Is titanfall really next gen? It doesn't even use DirectX11. It runs on the Source Engine for petes sake. And its available on the 360 and, yes, can run on 6 year old hardware (even though poor betty has to run everything low to keep the framerate above 45). Just because it's on XB1 does that mean it's next gen? Is Halo 2 HD going to be next gen?

Overheal wrote: »
    Is anyone else sick of the term Next-Gen yet? Especially since it gets thrown around ad nauseum, and doesn't even make sense anymore. You might as well say "new games". At least until you want to define what a next gen game is. Is titanfall really next gen? It doesn't even use DirectX11. It runs on the Source Engine for petes sake. And its available on the 360 and, yes, can run on 6 year old hardware (even though poor betty has to run everything low to keep the framerate above 45). Just because it's on XB1 does that mean it's next gen? Is Halo 2 HD going to be next gen?

It's just a term for the PS4 and XB1, no need to get so annoyed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, will The Last of Us on the PS4 be next gen?
    Sorry, but there is lots of previous examples where the early titles of any given gen are built around the previous generations capabilities.
    No surprises there.
    Give it a few months as development is built around the next gen consoles.

But really, no point in getting ones knickers in a knot over the term "next gen", it's obvious what it means, there really isn't an issue there as, until it displaces the 360/PS3 as the console games players own, it'll remain "next gen"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's just a term for the PS4 and XB1, no need to get so annoyed.

Have you seen what I mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm getting lots of use out of my PS4. This week I'll be mostly playing MLB 14 The Show, Marvel Super Heroes and Wolfenstein

Overheal wrote: »
    Have you seen what I mod?

So, were you Ranting or Raving? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I want transistor... Anyone looking for a kidney? 399 OBO

Advertisement