Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel like there's no good games out on the next-gen yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,756 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its only $20 on steam?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Overheal wrote: »
    Its only $20 on steam?

And a ZX Spectrum should run it let alone a 400 euro console :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

kdave2 wrote: »
    Not only that xbox 360 and Ps3 are still extremely popular and powerful consoles so most of the ps4 xbox one games will be ports...like watch dogs etc

Popular, sure. Powerful, no. Once decently made games are coming out for the new gen you'll look at that statement and wonder what you were thinking. 360 and PS3 games look very dated compared to what is possible nowadays. They look amazing given the age of the hardware but it's a massive overstatement to call either system powerful unless comparing to the Wii or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The PS3 is an incredibly powerful machine, despite its modern day limitations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This is why I find it's always better to wait a year or so after the release of a new console. Not only does the price drop, but you've also a decent catalogue of games to choose from.

I don't understand the people who feel the need to buy the overpriced consoles with lack of games on day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think the number in the title of this gen consoles are related to the number of games available for them

COYVB wrote: »
    The PS3 is an incredibly powerful machine, despite its modern day limitations

What do you mean? It's objectively much weaker than the PS4 for instance. Do you mean for its time it's powerful? That goes without saying I think, but you have to qualify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

nesf wrote: »
    What do you mean? It's objectively much weaker than the PS4 for instance. Do you mean for its time it's powerful? That goes without saying I think, but you have to qualify it.

I mean that even now we're not seeing what it's fully capable of

COYVB wrote: »
    I mean that even now we're not seeing what it's fully capable of

Sure. That doesn't make it comparable to current gen though. Don't get me wrong, I've no plans to move on from my 360 and have been considering picking up a PS3. I don't get the upgrade fever for new consoles similar to how I don't understand people buying top of the line graphics cards for PCs when they want to game at 1080p. But "good enough" doesn't equal "very powerful."

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

SeantheMan wrote: »
    This is why I find it's always better to wait a year or so after the release of a new console. Not only does the price drop, but you've also a decent catalogue of games to choose from.

I don't understand the people who feel the need to buy the overpriced consoles with lack of games on day 1.

I grabbed a PS4 off adverts for 340 with InFamous, completed InFamous and sold it for 40. So I was happy enough paying 300 for the PS4 and playing some PS Plus games until this fall when decent games start to drop.

Having said that, I agree that people buying day 1 and then shocked that there aren't a plethora of games are a bit foolish. Nothing against the OP though I was once in the same position with 3DS and WiiU but these days I'm just more patient and don't worry if I haven't played a system for a few weeks at time. I know I'll get my money's worth over the generation, no rush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I got an Xbox One and haven't been overawed by the games. It's been gathering dust pretty much most of the time and I play the 360 most evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kdave2

timetogo wrote: »
    I got an Xbox One and haven't been overawed by the games. It's been gathering dust pretty much most of the time and I play the 360 most evening.

Hard to believe 360 is nine years old and how well its still holding up...What a console

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Hard to believe 360 is nine years old and how well its still holding up...What a console

Well I've gone through 2 360s in 7 years, I hope the pc like hardware of this gen makes it more reliable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to agree,
    The current gen machines may he getting very long on the tooth but they are still platforms for some great games.
    If you have one but not the other this is a great time to jump into the scene you've been missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Not only that xbox 360 and Ps3 are still extremely popular and powerful consoles so most of the ps4 xbox one games will be ports...like watch dogs etc

powerful? LOL no just no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I got a PS4 last Christmas and I've been looking up games every few weeks to see what's out/coming out and as far as I've seen there really isn't anything that interests me.

I currently only have FIFA, Killzone (which I didn't like) and I used to have Assassins Creed Black Flag but I really don't like the Assassins Creed series so I sold it. So basically all I play is FIFA, which I love but I'd prefer to have a story-based game to play

What games are coming out in the next few months which could be considered to be game of the year contenders? I know Watch Dogs is out tomorrow but that doesn't really interest me, although I probably will get it as a start-of summer present to myself in June :)

Any ideas?
    Have you not played infamous yet?.Its without a doubt the best looking game on next gen and im saying that having bought an X1

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I found myself playing ps4 more and more lately. At least 3 nights per week I crash in my bed and play ps4. Moving it in to bedroom was best thing ever. Getting wrid off misses in Living room - second! :P

I do play it so much more lately. Even last night I played Bf4, until I got nerdrage, because it was " one of those days". Even inanimated objects were killing me, from behind, headshot, ****. Then I sow that drill instructor dlc for ghost came out, so I had to have it. First dlc on ghost lol. Could not play it, because ghost got a brain fart and decided to update now 2gb...
    **** that, I said politely and fired up warframe. I have 300h clocked on steam and I started from a scratch on PS4. Few hours later I was forced to go to bed as it was waaaaaay to late.

It won't be a popular opinion, but I start to like the lack of games on PS4. I get so much more milage out of my games. I don't just abandon them and jump on next big thing. Great for me and great for my wallet.
    Even so, there are enough games to keep anyone playing. Gamers just spoiled and like to bitch more then they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's absolutely feck all on them to make me want to buy a One or PS4.

Couldn't agree more, I've seen nothing yet to make me want to fork out for a ONE and park my 360!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Plenty of good games on the WiiU though!

Just need to convince people its not a plugin for original wii.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

imitation wrote: »
    Just need to convince people its not a plugin for original wii.

There are two points of view on this.
    Are people who think the above just stupid?
    Or are they, in fact, idiots?

For heavens sake, and the sake of the children will the two sides of the argument ever find consensus?

I think I have a solution though....
    People who think the Wii U is an add-on for the Wii are stupid-idiots, there, consensus reached!

Peace in our time!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

For heavens sake, and the sake of the children will the two sides of the argument ever find consensus?

People who think the Wii U is an add-on for the Wii are stupid-idiots, there, consensus reached!

Peace in our time!

I'd be of the opinion that nintendo's marketing department are stupid-idiots for not realising that the majority of the market are stupid-idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Peace in our time!

In fairness the marketing has been absolutely woeful. Whenever I mention the WiiU to friends of mine they have no idea what I'm talking about but they are well aware of the PS4 and Xbox One. Not a great name to begin with, and then zero marketing to back it up. Great system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Peace in our time!

I don't think they're idiots. Most people just don't closely follow gaming and if I didn't, I'd probably barely know anything about the Wii U either. Nintendo have been terrible at marketing it so far.

Re: OP, yes I do think this generation seems to be off to a bit of a slow start. Funnily enough, even though 2013 had some of the biggest games of the last few years and also two new consoles released, the Christmas period was probably one of the driest in memory for quality games. We had very little beyond our annual instalments of Assassin's Creed, Battlefield and Call of Duty and these finally seem to be starting to wear people down a little bit. Since then the only big games one either system were Titanfall and Infamous SS but these haven't had the success of last gen system-sellers like Gears of War or Uncharted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

In terms of "next gen experience", the only one that ticks the box for me is Battlefield 4. Looks amazing and the multiplayer is definitely a big step up from the 360/ PS3.

We're only going to see some worthwhile content on the current gen consoles once developers ditch the last gen (360/PS3). I have a feeling the cross generational development of games is holding the current gen back. The likes of Arkham Knight will be a good indicator of what we can expect going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I really don't get these comments/threads.

There are plenty games on every system currently available.... in most cases there are too many good games!

Peace in our time!

You see, I said the very same thing when I read the article, thinking of all the joes I know who'd brought it as there first console since like the megadrive.

Thing is my friend, an avid pc gamer, owner of a wii, a 360 and a solid gaming Pc which gets plenty of use asked me "whats the story with the wii u? Is it some kind of add on?" All of a sudden the blame went straight from users to nintendo in my mind.

The thing is, if you dont follow gaming news all you'd have to go on is that theres a touch screen controller, its called the U, not really a sequel type name, pictures or hints it was a seperate console are rare, and lets face its from the company who gave us the super scope, gameboy camera and a million other addons.

I think the bemused press about nintendos trouble selling and users confusion probably didnt help, if you just looking through headlines seeing "is the wii u an addon?" Probably adds some subconcious confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You mean 5 good games on Wii U surely (exclusives)????
    Mario 3D World (despite being easy)
    New Super Mario Bros U
    Pikmin 3
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
    Mario Kart 8 (fingers crossed it'll be good, reviews seem to say so)

I was PS3 for 4 years, then X-Box 360 for a few years as it was more social and my friends have them. But have to say there are not enough decent EXCLUSIVES, and I stress that word cause if I can get a game on last-gen, well i will (i.e. Destiny and Watch Doges).

I think this was always a bit of a problem with the last 2 generations but it seems seriously exhasberated this time round. When a console lands we should be like "holy-molly those 4 release games are the bomb-dizzle, gotta get me one of them"

I'm gonna either wait a year or more or just play games on PC. Not worth the money as I don't see the jump in quality warranting the cost.

Got myself a Wii U, well kind of got it for my misses to be fair, most fun i've had in ages and not breaking the bank either. Plus you can watch netflix on the gamepad :)

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    You mean 5 good games on Wii U surely (exclusives)????
    Mario 3D World (despite being easy)
    New Super Mario Bros U
    Pikmin 3
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
    Mario Kart 8 (fingers crossed it'll be good, reviews seem to say so)

I'd add Scram Kitty, Wonderful 101, ZombiU, Lego City Undercover, NintendoLand and the two NES Remix games to that.

Advertisement