Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High outbuilding insurance coverage

Options
  • 26-05-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi all, time for renewal of home insurance, am with AA at the moment, but would like to shop around. Problem is I need a high value outbuilding coverage, minimum 5000 but would prefer higher. Anyone know any brokers/companies with high coverage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Hi all, time for renewal of home insurance, am with AA at the moment, but would like to shop around. Problem is I need a high value outbuilding coverage, minimum 5000 but would prefer higher. Anyone know any brokers/companies with high coverage?
    The definition of Buildings would include outbuildings used for domestic purposes, so I'm surprised you have to split the sum insured. Is there more to your circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Its for a workshop/shed in the back garden, for personal use but am a aircraft maintenance engineer so have a lot of expensive tools and also expensive hobbies, so have high end sports gear. Most insurance policies only cover up to 1000 euro for outbuilding contents and house policy will not cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Specify the items as all risks and if you have an alarm, have it extended to the shed. Is it a wooden shed or a brick outbuilding?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

peteb2 wrote: »
    Specify the items as all risks and if you have an alarm, have it extended to the shed. Is it a wooden shed or a brick outbuilding?

Its a brick shed with a metal door, problem is 90% of the items are under 1000 euro per item so insurance companies won't list the items, but grand total would be 15-20000 so its important to get best coverage I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Ah, so were not talking about the buildings, but the contents inside. Providing you can prove that the contents are for domestic use only and not part of your occupation or as a business sideline etc, they should look after you. However, expect it to be a condition to have a linked alarm or similar.

High end tools are the most thief attractive things you can have for the type of people responsible for most burglaries ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement