Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What phone company to use in USA for international calls/SMS?

Options
  • 26-05-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi

I am moving to USA on Sunday for the summer and was wondering what is the best phone company to use for calling home (Ireland of course)?

I have looked at T-Mobile and they have a good contract, but two problems are, I don't and won't have an American bank account and also I don't know how long the contract lasts?

So can anyone give me advice on what company to use, or should I use something like an eSim or an international sim card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Get a pay as you go SIM from T-mobile.

But don't use it for international calls, if you're on a J1 your money is better spent on beer.

use skype or viber for the phoning home.

My missus uses rebtel for phoning to the US, I presume it'd work from there to home too...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DunnyJ92

Get a pay as you go SIM from T-mobile.

But don't use it for international calls, if you're on a J1 your money is better spent on beer.

use skype or viber for the phoning home.

My missus uses rebtel for phoning to the US, I presume it'd work from there to home too...

Thanks for your post !

I will be working in a camp with very limited Internet access, and also have pretty much 0 interest in drinking (even when at home). Mainly as long as I could text would be the handiest thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Check out Metro PCS if they operate in the region that you will be in. (They are not nationwide.) They are pay as you go, so there is no need for contracts or bank accounts. It's been a couple of years since I used them, but when I did, they had a $10 Europe/International calling plan. For my 10 bucks, I got unlimited phone calls to land line phones in Ireland. It was great for calling back home to mammy and siblings that had landlines. It wasn't so great for calling or texting friends who only had mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

I generally use an international calling card from 7-Eleven for calling the parents. Lasts a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'll add a +1 to the T-Mobile pay as you go. Great offering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement