Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Boer or Pochettino

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

He hasn't even managed a friendly for us yet and some of our fans think he's not good enough :rolleyes:

He should be given a minimum of two years without an ounce of pressure put on him, instead Levy will likely pull the trigger after a run of a few bad defeats with some of our mongier fans roaring abuse at him and one or more of our players stropping their way through 90mins.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

Two years without an ounce of pressure is the stuff of fantasy.

This is modern professional football here. We all know full well that if things aren't going well the fans turn on the coach, then the press follow suit. When the players start moaning, the coach loses the dressing room and from that point on things are unlikely to improve.

It's ugly but that's the way it is. Wouldn't it make more sense if we all just came to terms with that now? Every manager knows the deal so let's stop kidding ourselves.

If Pochettino makes it through 2 seasons it will be because he's been successful or shown clear signs of steady improvement. It will not be because of patience on the part of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Happy now that it's Pochettino,good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Will be interesting to see how he sees us, what formations, what players he brings in and sells.... Cant wait for FIFA 15 already!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I think all Spurs fans need to get behind him now, more negativity will get us nowhere now even if people are not happy with his appointment. COYS.

woah there. A few weeks ago it looked like Louis Van Gaal ( multiple trophy winner) was going to be our next manager. Then there was talk of Rafa Benitez( we all know what he has done) & Frank de Boer ( Dutch champion manager 4 years in a row i think). Someone on here even mentioned Levy was waiting on the Champions league final to see if Ancelotti would be available.
    These men are all winners, they have experience of getting the best out of there teams both performance wise and results wise. I was hoping (stupidly of course having supported Spurs for many years) that maybe Levy was going to go for one of the big guns - Get in a manager who would have a track record of winning.
    So what did we end up with? A manager who has achieved very little in the game. Actually a manager who has never guided a team to above 8th position. Should i be over the moon with this appointment?

Saying that here is what he will bring to the table. His team ( Saints last year anyway) play a very attractive style of football. A style of football that we have been craving for the last number of seasons post Harry. If he can sort of our back 4 (maybe bring Lovren with him?) and instil his style of attacking football on our players we could be in for a great season. Also he could be the man to get the best out of our forgotten man Lamela. Its all ifs and buts at the moment but it may work out.
    So its not all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Luis Enrique is the new Barca manager. He's won nothing either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ormus wrote: »
    Two years without an ounce of pressure is the stuff of fantasy.

Pressure is a relative concept. If we're sitting outside the bottom three for two years then I'd expect it.

If we draw away to Leicester, or get knocked out of a domestic cup by some no mark team (or worse still, Asrenal or West Ham) then we should show a little patience and leave the man to mole the side into his image.

He will have fùck all time to work with these players given the World Cup and our participation in Europa, plus he's bound to have a few new faces in who'll need bedding in.

What I'll be looking for will be signs of improvement in key areas: address the defensive record, pick a solid central midfield to screen them, hopefully get Lamela and Soldado playing, entertain me. If he does that then I won't sweat a few set backs.

But you're right. We have some incredibly moronic fans, who groan at every bad touch, abuse our own players, and sing only when we're winning (if at all). They will be the catalyst for the knee jerk from Levy and we'll likely be having this conversation again in 18 months.

It's funny though, Levy never listens to a single other complaint that our fans make...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I should add, every football person I've seen comment on him has had positive things to say. Perhaps we're not best places to judge his ability or lack thereof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

What I'll be looking for will be signs of improvement in key areas: address the defensive record, pick a solid central midfield to screen them, hopefully get Lamela and Soldado playing, entertain me. If he does that then I won't sweat a few set backs.

+1

Good point. Steady improvement is key!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

All I want is to see us play better football and get back to actually enjoying watching Spurs play! Oh and not dreading an absolute hiding from any of the top 4 when we play them would be nice too.

woah there. A few weeks ago it looked like Louis Van Gaal ( multiple trophy winner) was going to be our next manager. Then there was talk of Rafa Benitez( we all know what he has done) & Frank de Boer ( Dutch champion manager 4 years in a row i think). Someone on here even mentioned Levy was waiting on the Champions league final to see if Ancelotti would be available.
    These men are all winners, they have experience of getting the best out of there teams both performance wise and results wise. I was hoping (stupidly of course having supported Spurs for many years) that maybe Levy was going to go for one of the big guns - Get in a manager who would have a track record of winning.
    So what did we end up with? A manager who has achieved very little in the game. Actually a manager who has never guided a team to above 8th position. Should i be over the moon with this appointment?

Saying that here is what he will bring to the table. His team ( Saints last year anyway) play a very attractive style of football. A style of football that we have been craving for the last number of seasons post Harry. If he can sort of our back 4 (maybe bring Lovren with him?) and instil his style of attacking football on our players we could be in for a great season. Also he could be the man to get the best out of our forgotten man Lamela. Its all ifs and buts at the moment but it may work out.
    So its not all doom and gloom.

You do realise that was the press, not the club, who spread those rumours about LvG, FdB, Rafa, Ancelotti etc?

To read what you say, one would think the club had promised to get in one of those big names, and has now cruelly let you down in appointing someone who isn't as famous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

What's Luis Enrique won?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I see this as a similar to Liverpool signing Brendan Rodgers. He brought Swansea to 11th before he went to the Reds. Plays attacking football and good man management skills. Im all behind pochetino with some good acquisitions in the transfer market and maybe getting rid of a few players we will definitiely improve.

The only thing I see as a slight negative is the fact that his command of English mightn't be 100%. But as usual it will be a roller-coaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

joeguevara wrote: »
    The only thing I see as a slight negative is the fact that his command of English mightn't be 100%. But as usual it will be a roller-coaster

At Southampton he gave his team talks in english. Just isn't that confident of it in front of the media.

joeguevara wrote: »

His English is fine, he just refuses to speak it to the media and be taken out of context.

Watch second vid
    http://www.newstalk.ie/VIDEO:-Southamptons-Pochettino-finally-speaks-English-in-front-of-the-press

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

yiddo59 wrote: »
    At Southampton he gave his team talks in english. Just isn't that confident of it in front of the media.

Ticks all the boxes for me so. And as someone else mentioned should have a positive influence on Lamela. I wish him the best. COYS!

I actually have more respect for him for not speaking to the media when he feels his English is not 100%. He understands how important what he says is and how it can be misconstrued by the media.

Pressure is a relative concept. If we're sitting outside the bottom three for two years then I'd expect it.

If we draw away to Leicester, or get knocked out of a domestic cup by some no mark team (or worse still, Asrenal or West Ham) then we should show a little patience and leave the man to mole the side into his image.

He will have fùck all time to work with these players given the World Cup and our participation in Europa, plus he's bound to have a few new faces in who'll need bedding in.

But you're right. We have some incredibly moronic fans, who groan at every bad touch, abuse our own players, and sing only when we're winning (if at all). They will be the catalyst for the knee jerk from Levy and we'll likely be having this conversation again in 18 months.

It's funny though, Levy never listens to a single other complaint that our fans make...

In my opinion Levy has only knee-jerked once, when sacking AVB, and even then I reckon there is more to that story. I bet it was at least partly mutual.

His English is fine, he just refuses to speak it to the media and be taken out of context.

Watch second vid
    http://www.newstalk.ie/VIDEO:-Southamptons-Pochettino-finally-speaks-English-in-front-of-the-press

What about the 3rd video... pretty good there too! :)

I actually have more respect for him for not speaking to the media when he feels his English is not 100%. He understands how important what he says is and how it can be misconstrued by the media.

Yeah, can't wait to see the media and Van Gaal, it'll be a circus worse than Mourinho. Very few Untied fans have realised this yet. His every word and action will be all over the media.

Wish Sherwood had done the same, would've saved a lot of embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAieod4JpnY

Not bad english at all...and that was 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Wish Sherwood had done the same, would've saved a lot of embarrassment.

For his many failings the one thing Timmy never lacked was confidence. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

would West Ham not fall in that category,

I was not sure about Poochy but the more i read about him the more impressed I am

maybe just maybe.........................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

In my opinion Levy has only knee-jerked once, when sacking AVB, and even then I reckon there is more to that story. I bet it was at least partly mutual.

I actually think that was one of his better decisions over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

You do realise that was the press, not the club, who spread those rumours about LvG, FdB, Rafa, Ancelotti etc?

To read what you say, one would think the club had promised to get in one of those big names, and has now cruelly let you down in appointing someone who isn't as famous.

It's got nothing to do with being famous. Its go to do with a manager who has actually achieved something. If Levy had appointed one of the big names it would be seen as a statement of intent.
    Look we have a decent squad and I think with a top manager we could go on and achieve something this season. I would have preferred a proven manager but it wasn't to be. Maybe Poch will prove to be good enough and help push us into the top 4.

It's got nothing to do with being famous. Its go to do with a manager who has actually achieved something. If Levy had appointed one of the big names it would be seen as a statement of intent.
    Look we have a decent squad and I think with a top manager we could go on and achieve something this season. I would have preferred a proven manager but it wasn't to be. Maybe Poch will prove to be good enough and help push us into the top 4.

Managers who have achieved something don't always do well though. Just because they are proven doesn't mean there is any proof they will be successful. Ramos had been successful with Sevilla. Santini had done well with Lyon and France.

They were both seen as statements of intent.

Look at Giovanni Trapattoni. Or even Louis Van Gaal has been a flop in several jobs, despite being proven to be successful in others.

Redknapp was seen by many as a low key appointment, not good enough for Spurs.

Likewise, many were unsure Brendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez were good enough for Liverpool and Everton.

Advertisement