Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to hiking/recommendations!

Options
  • 26-05-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi Guys. I want to get into hiking and just wondering if anyone here has any suggestions of good hills/mountains for a novice to hike!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

I am based in south Ulster but open to suggestions from around the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

The Mournes? Plenty of hiking in them, they're extremely accessible and (in good conditions) very doable for a novice...

As always bear in mind that weather can change and conditions can catch out the unawary. Be prepared for cold and wet. Have (and know how to use) map compass etc.

Would strongly recommend you go walking with someone experienced until you find your feet...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

South Ulster.

Gap of The North work out of Jonesborough every second Sunday. it's about 2 quid to go with them.

They'll show you the ropes.

What you need.

NOT Jeans
    Deep thread boots
    Poles if you have them or a stick.
    Gaitors.
    Wet gear
    and a few hang sambos and water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

Thanks guys! will be looking into these for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Where are you based? I've just had my mate (and lift) cancel for a walk we'd planned in 2 weeks time (7th or 8th June). Needn't be anything strenuous, just a wee dander to scout out some terrain I'm not familiar with before I take the scouts up there the following week...

If you're around belfast/newcastle and fancy it, drop me a PM and we can sort something out...

Advertisement