Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK man faces jail for "accidentally" slapping Ryanair stewardess on bottom

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I totally agree with you. I just don't think prosecuting someone is the right thing to do and I don't believe for a minute that prosecuting a passenger will stop any others from doing it. The article describes a guy who was so drunk he was making an ass of himself in other ways too. I just don't get why so many women think this is something that should be prosecuted.

I'm not trying to defend the guy. I think it's a major over-reaction and I think the blame should be focused more on Ryanair for letting a drunk passenger on board a flight. It could just as easily been a female passenger who had her ass slapped, and the last thing most women would think of doing is prosecuting.

It's a tricky one because while part of me does think that prosecution and possible jail time is a bit harsh the other part of me says that a message has to be sent that you cannot go around slapping women (or men) on the arse and expecting them to be grateful for it.

Personally I think she should have returned the favour with thump in the nose, but she'd probably have lost her job for that.

Air hostesses should not have to expect being treated like meat as part of their job. This is not the smegging sixties, we're supposed to be better than that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

No, because I think that it's probably something that happens to air stewardesses on a regular basis and as my post said if all of them were prosecuted there'd probably be a lot fewer male passengers. You really are just arguing for the sake of it now. Tbh if you really think that an ass slap and it was an ass slap not an ass grab, is such a big deal then you real do need to get out more.

So you've gone from 'all men' to 'a lot of men'.

What percentage of men do you believe are 'ass grabbers/slappers' as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Between this story and the aussie journalist who let's her children fly solo (but ONLY if they're sitting next to a woman), all men are potential ass grabbers and paedophiles when they board a plane it seems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Yes, not for life .....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

"James Moore, defending, said Thompson had consumed alcohol before the flight, along with an antihistamine tablet, and was then sold a discounted alcoholic drink by the air stewardess on the plane.'

More lies, Ryanair never sell anything at a discount especially drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

snaphook wrote: »
    Between this story and the aussie journalist who let's her children fly solo (but ONLY if they're sitting next to a woman), all men are potential ass grabbers and paedophiles when they board a plane it seems?

And farters. Don't forget farting. Men fart but women puff rainbow scented perfume from their butts. I know this for a fact as a unicorn wanted to sniff my butt one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

A lot of emotion on this thread, a lot of over and under-reactions. The way I see it, there are a couple of parties to blame.

Ryanair, for the constant sexualization of their cabin crew. They're practically treating them like the lovely girls from father ted.
    Ryanair again for both allowing a clearly drunk passenger on the plane in the first place and then by feeding him more alcohol.
    The man in question, obviously takes the lions share. There really isn't any excuse for doing what he did, lighthearted or not. The Stewardess should not have to put up with getting her arse slapped!
    The media/social media. He slapped her arse. People shouldn't be downplaying it and making light of the incident. It is sexual harassment. Something like that in the workplace is serious. At the same time, it's sexual harassment, not assault. from some comments, you'd swear he raped her! The man deserves a punitive fine and a bollocking from the judge. Iv'e no doubt he's already gotten one from his fiance. Calls for him to go to jail and to be charged with assault are pure sensationalism and really deserve zero credence.

some posters are saying that she should be thicker skinned in that line of work. what are you getting at? Almost any job that requires facetime with the public requires thick skin. I used to work the tills at Smyths and got agro of some disgruntled customer almost every day. Doesn't mean i'd have to stand there and smile if someone grabbed my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dilly.

It's a job where they must have to put up with a lot of crap on an almost daily basis, so if she can't handle the occassional obnoxious drunk, then yes, she possibly should consider a career that doesn't require a thicker skin.

So do doctors! Should they consider 'a different line of work' if they don't like getting their ass slapped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Dilly. wrote: »
    So do doctors! Should they consider 'a different line of work' if they don't like getting their ass slapped?

A doctor would probably have a more professional attitude and just get on with their jobs instead of getting hysterical, after all doctors working in A&E departments deal with drunks and drug addicts on a regular basis. It's this sort of stupid over reaction to a slap on the arse that is part of the problem with women not being taken seriously by their male colleagues.

Jesus, it's all moan, moan, moan from so many women about not being seen as equal to their male colleagues and then some stupid woman runs to court to prosecute a drunk passenger for slapping her arse. What a stupid, stupid woman. I'm guessing Ryanair will be looking for an opportunity to sack her as soon as they can. I hate Ryanair but I couldn't blame them if they did get rid of her.

I'm going to bow out of this thread now because it's as pointless as trying to play chess with a pigeon. A lot of silly women who really take this sort of nonsense too seriously. I'll leave you all to wallow in your moral outrage. Cheery bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I'm going to bow out of this thread now because it's as pointless as trying to play chess with a pigeon. A lot of silly women who really take this sort of nonsense too seriously. I'll leave you all to wallow in your moral outrage. Cheery bye.

Are you going back to the 1970's in your time machine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

I'm going to bow out of this thread now .

Might be best, as someday your daughter/sister/mother could be facing the similar treatment from some drunken halfwit yob that can't behave himself and treat other people with a bit of basic manners and decency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

No, because I think that it's probably something that happens to air stewardesses on a regular basis and as my post said if all of them were prosecuted there'd probably be a lot fewer male passengers. You really are just arguing for the sake of it now. Tbh if you really think that an ass slap and it was an ass slap not an ass grab, is such a big deal then you real do need to get out more.

It's cabin crew these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

ryan101 wrote: »
    Might be best, as someday your daughter/sister/mother could be facing the similar treatment from some drunken halfwit yob that can't behave himself and treat other people with a bit of basic manners and decency.

Or Son/Brother/Father….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Helen Lovejoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Stone him!!!
    Jaysus, he's pissed already, getting him stoned is only going to make matters worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Sounds like an accident to me.

Advertisement