Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I saw a meteor last night

Options
  • 26-05-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I saw a nice meteor last night. I haven't seen one in a while. Its was no Chelyabinsk, but its was still cool.

The sky was clear when I came out of The Square, Tallaght last night and I looked west (it was pretty high in the sky) and saw the meteor come in, and flare up to a little brighter than a plane. That lasted a few seconds and then it dimmed. I could still see it for another few seconds afterwards as it dimmed, until it completely disappeared.

I wonder did anyone else see it? Perhaps a late one from last Fridays shower?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

By any chance was it at about 22:40? If so it was an Iridium flare which is consistent with the description of it getting brighter and then fading.

Check out this website and enter your own location to see future appearances.....

http://www.heavens-above.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Why do you say 22:40? Is this a known time for Iridium flares?
    I was in the cinema and the film was on about 21:30 so it probably would have been closer to 11. Maybe just after. But ye, roughly close enough to 22:40 I suppose.

I just had a look on YouTube and it does look similar, although the satellite disappeared a few seconds later. Bit dissappointing actually. I've seen tonnes of satellites, but only a few meteors! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Why do you say 22:40? Is this a known time for Iridium flares?

I entered the details for the Square Tallaght into www.heavens-above.com and there was a Iridium flare (visible pass) at 22:40 on the night you mentioned.

There is no set time for them, it varies based on the time of year and you can see them during the day (same with Venus and Jupiter) if you know exactly where to look but this time of year is good for night time Iridium flares because the sun is never far below the horizon at night so there are lots of opportunities to see reflected sunlight from the Iridium satellites as they pass overhead.

Advertisement