Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying abroad for TY?

• 26-05-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm thinking of going to Germany for some time during TY. I'm in 3rd year now and I'm just having a look at some different companies that do this but I can't seem to find many...

I've had a look at EF Ireland and it seems good but I was looking to going to a normal German school and staying with a family. I think its called immersion or something like that.

Has anyone had any experience doing what I'm talking about? With EF, or any other company? Did you learn much, how was it?

Also if anyone knows of any other companies or websites to get more info off that would be great! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Samdublinn

Bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Saz513

Hey,
    I went on a three month student exchange to Germany last year during TY so I think I might be able to help you!
    The company I went with was EIL Ireland. Bear in mind that these exchanges need to be booked well in advance as there's a lot of things to organise (host family, school etc) For example, the deadline for a January 2015 exchange would probably be in early September. Do give the company a call, though.
    There was a load of forms to fill out which I did at the end of third year. Some need to be filled out by your principal, teachers and a doctor. It's a bit of a hassle but definitely worth it! I'd say my exchange to Germany was the best part of TY.
    Granted I'm German anyways so I didn't learn anything but there was other exchange students there and they said that they learned so much so fast and everybody really helped them along if they were stuck. The host family I was put in was unbelievably lovely and made me a part of the family from the beginning! The first week of school was a bit awkward (of course) as I had to get to know everyone a bit but then it was fine! :)
    If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask....definitely an experience worth making if you have the chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, has anyone done anything with Steinstudy?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 3yearstudent98

My cousin went to Germany for 3 months in TY this year and loved it so much he went back for another 3 months! I think the company he went through was TY Europe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My nephew is doing this in France at the moment. He organised it through family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement