Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yogurt measurement

Options
  • 26-05-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Hi all, bit of a beginners question here but I'm wondering how do you guys measure yogurt? I've a recipe for a smoothie that says to use 3/4 cup of yogurt, but I dunno if I should be converting it to litres or grams?

I'm using the Duneen Fat Free yogurt from Aldi which is pretty smooth and runny compared to other yogurts I've tried which are more lumpy.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That recipe is referring to standard American measuring cups, like these:

stainless-steel-measuring-cups.jpg

You need to use a conversion table if you don't have cups. This website suggests 3/4 cup of yogurt is 175g.

Also, depending on what your recipe is, fat free yogurt could ruin it. Unless it calls for fat free yogurt, it needs the fat. Baking is a chemical reaction, and you'll end up with a different result if you use the wrong ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Oh ok, I didn't know that about the cups. That is a great website, thanks for the link!

The recipe is actually for a smoothie (figured this would be the best place to ask about the mesaurement), so it been fat free shouldn't matter. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its only a smoothie so it doesn't really matter much, its not like baking a cake where it might not rise if the ratios are wrong.

I see these estimates online
    The density of yoghurt ranges from 1042 to 1071 kilograms per cubic meter or 1.042 to 1.071 grams per cubic centimeter . So 1 litre of yoghurt weighs 1042 to 1071 grams or 1.042 to 1.071 kilograms

What this means is that 1ml is roughly equal to 1gram, just like water is roughly equal.

In google you can just type in conversions and it often does them automatically.

3/4 cup in ml

e.g. this says 3/4 cup is 177ml so you can add in 177grams if that suits.

If you have a digital scales you can keep topping up your smoothie mixture and zeroing the scale as you go along

Advertisement