Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double bale handlers

Options
  • 26-05-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was thinking of looking or getting a double bale handlers. I was looking at getting a nugent one. They have a twin bale lifter that will lift two bales and tip them on there ends. There are prob other makes there too.

Just wondering has anyone any experience of these or similar machines. What size bales do these normally cater for. I think normal bales are around 4ft diam. I'm sure theres no fear of the second bale not fitting when you have one bale on.

We stack the bale on there ends always and we try to keep them close together. Just wondering if we got one would it keep the bales tight together

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

happylad wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was thinking of looking or getting a double bale handlers. I was looking at getting a nugent one. They have a twin bale lifter that will lift two bales and tip them on there ends. There are prob other makes there too.

Just wondering has anyone any experience of these or similar machines. What size bales do these normally cater for. I think normal bales are around 4ft diam. I'm sure theres no fear of the second bale not fitting when you have one bale on.

We stack the bale on there ends always and we try to keep them close together. Just wondering if we got one would it keep the bales tight together

Used a Nugent one a good few times lifting Mchale bales and couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

used the contactors Nugent. works grand but you want a big lump of a tractor using it. aldo you need to pick one bale up, put it down beside the other and then pick the two up. If you lift one bale and then back straight into the second you are liable to tear the first. You soon get used to it.

You wont get them quite as tight as you would with a single rake but its not far off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

We used a neighbors double handler. We had our own single handler putting one bale next to the other in the field so the double wasn't wasting time and just collected the 2 and drew them to the yard until

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭happylad

Thanks for all the replys. A lad was telling me there designed for 4ft bales. I suppose to be fair there isn't a big difference in the size of the bales that come out of the fusion.

The handler looks a fast yoke for moving bales

• Registered Users Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We used a neighbors double handler. We had our own single handler putting one bale next to the other in the field so the double wasn't wasting time and just collected the 2 and drew them to the yard until

Good plan there

• Advertisement

Anyone know the distance between the a double bale handler. The single one we have is 37inchs. It's a tubular type. I would imagine it's probably 15 or 16inch between them to the next handler

The reason I ask the above is I'm trying to convince the father it will stack the bales tight enough. I think I'll have to mark it out on the ground for the father to show him.😁

The reason I ask the above is I'm trying to convince the father it will stack the bales tight enough. I think I'll have to mark it out on the ground for the father to show him.ðŸ˜

The lengths you have to go to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

We got the contractor to bring in bales last week with his keltec. 10 bales at a time. It was all I could do to keep them stacked ahead of him with a teleporter. Never again drawing in bales ourselves. He'd keep in to a fusion on a short draw no problems.

We got the contractor to bring in bales last week with his keltec. 10 bales at a time. It was all I could do to keep them stacked ahead of him with a teleporter. Never again drawing in bales ourselves. He'd keep in to a fusion on a short draw no problems.

We draw with a trailer and the soft hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Hi all,

Do you want it for wrapped or unwrapped bales?
    If you get a twin unit get one that can lift the second bale with out have to drop the 1st. Less likely to damage the plastic. Something like this.
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/toplink/bale-handler-twin/13951

Looks good it would be for all wrapped bales. Trying to.send thing up a little. Anyone have one of the tube handlers. Some people say the duck foot ones are better

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Do you want it for wrapped or unwrapped bales?
    If you get a twin unit get one that can lift the second bale with out have to drop the 1st. Less likely to damage the plastic. Something like this.
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/toplink/bale-handler-twin/13951

Would be the job but would it be worth the extra expense for the amount of times you would use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

A good man on the wrapper can leave two bales ready for the twin bale handler, by loading the table, another one on the arm. Wrap one, leave it off and wrap the second one and leave off so that it sits side by side and touching the first one.

A good man on the wrapper can leave two bales ready for the twin bale handler, by loading the table, another one on the arm. Wrap one, leave it off and wrap the second one and leave off so that it sits side by side and touching the first one.

True but don't carry a bale on the arm. Had a drawbar snap off a wrapper on me one time cos of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

some lads go to alot of trouble putting 2 bales side by side for the double handler, i have a fleming with the hydraulic offset but to be honest i never use the hydraulic part, just pick up one bale and move onto next one, drop and reverse, doesnt seem to be damaging the first bale by reversing it back along the ground to pick the 2nd one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

We were picking up after a fusion baler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

We were picking up after a fusion baler.

With the fusion l get him to try drop as many bales off on the headland nearest the gate.

That way it's nearer for home and neighbours passing the road think it's a mighty heavy crop!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Muckit wrote: »
    With the fusion l get him to try drop as many bales off on the headland nearest the gate.

That way it's nearer for home and neighbours passing the road think it's a mighty heavy crop!! :D

Thought I was the only one who done that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Yip I used always tip the two together when we had to draw in bales. They bounce off each other if you stay too close when you tipping the second one though.

• Advertisement

Think I might chance making a tube type double bale handler. Feeling adventurous :-) can anyone check the distance between the two inner tubes. That'll lete know how much to keep them apart to allow them to tip close enough together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Reggie. wrote: »
    True but don't carry a bale on the arm. Had a drawbar snap off a wrapper on me one time cos of that

Really? I've always carried bales around on arm. Once I get to 3rd bale I let arm on ground. Then put on that bale when other one is finished. PPick up the 3rd one and off to next bale and so on.
    Never had problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Really? I've always carried bales around on arm. Once I get to 3rd bale I let arm on ground. Then put on that bale when other one is finished. PPick up the 3rd one and off to next bale and so on.
    Never had problems

Same here. I had to follow 2 to 3 rp200s around the country (a long long time ago) and I had to use tricks like that to keep up with them. It never broke the arm.

Never had problems

It only has to happen the once :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Reggie. wrote: »
    It only has to happen the once :D

Your a curse. Putting all these bad thoughts in my head of machines getting broke :(

Your a curse. Putting all these bad thoughts in my head of machines getting broke :(

Welcome to my world. Ah in fairness the newer wrappers are far stronger than the one I used years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Never had problems

Always done that aswell! Unless the ground was stupidly soft in which case it was throw the bale up wrap, tip and then move, that way you dont leave 2 drains up middle of field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Maybe it's cos it's not really done much round these parts but I can't see the logic in wrapping bales in the field and drawing them back to the yard one or 2 at a time. I use the digger or tractor and bale spike (like today) to bring in bales to the wrapper if it right next to where I'm wrapping. Have been using a tanco auto wrapper on a loader to wrap and stack for a long while now and use a keltec to draw in the bales. A lot quicker and easier and never a worry about damaging the plastic. We don't see many fusions round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

used the contactors Nugent. works grand but you want a big lump of a tractor using it. aldo you need to pick one bale up, put it down beside the other and then pick the two up. If you lift one bale and then back straight into the second you are liable to tear the first. You soon get used to it.

You wont get them quite as tight as you would with a single rake but its not far off

What size of tractor would be needed to handle a double handler? Have a MF 4255, 95hp, 4wd, rated to lift 2400kg at lift arm ends. Loader with bale handler on the front to counterbalance. Would this do the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

jimmy G M wrote: »
    What size of tractor would be needed to handle a double handler? Have a MF 4255, 95hp, 4wd, rated to lift 2400kg at lift arm ends. Loader with bale handler on the front to counterbalance. Would this do the job?

I'd say you'd manage them but it would be a tight weight it'll stick ya to the ground be awkward load. I have a 4355 and I was carring one on the front and one on the back and I found them heavy enough and it was well wilted dry stuff I don't think I'd fancy bring 3 especially if it was wet stuff:confused:

Advertisement