Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Dublin Astronomical Society Gone?

Options
  • 26-05-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Tried searching for South Dublin Astronomical Society, but their site seems like its gone. Are they still active?

Looking to join a society/club around south dublin area preferably, is the Irish Astronomical Society the only option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

hi gline,

I chaired the SDAS for many years and ran the mailing list along with other activities. We never really had a committee as such so ultimately I just found it hard to keep things going in the club.

I made a decision in consultation with members to merge the SDAS with the Irish Astronomical Society. The two groups were holding joint meetings for a couple of years anyway so joining the IAS was the logical thing to do as they have an active committee.

The IAS meetings have finished up now for the summer break but that doesn't mean activities have stopped completely. There are a few things on such as Solarfest in Dunsink Observatory on Saturday, June 21st -- see the thread on the IFAS site at http://www.irishastronomy.org where the speakers on the day are listed.

Also, the IFAS site will highlight any planned observing nights where a few of us in the City head out to Wicklow to take advantage of darker skies. Another observing group are the Dublin Stargazers at http://www.meetup.com/The-Dublin-Stargazers-Group/

Another reason for winding down the SDAS was that I was getting extremely busy with an Open University course along with other things. I may try revive the SDAS mailing list though as it did keep people in touch about what was happening on the lecture circuit, etc.

I have mulled over starting night classes also and will put a bit more thought into this the next few months. The classes will not be a general overview of the Universe but geared towards observing the sky.

John (Flannery)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sea point

Which open university course did you take? And would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They could have repeated secondary school, and finished a degree and masters since the last post on this thread. If they skipped TY they could be considering their phd options...

Advertisement