Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Visa/Mastercard Debit in Canada

Options
  • 26-05-2014 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I have an account with Scotiabank and I just discovered that they don't have V/M debit cards yet. I can't believe that! I use online shopping a lot and need lots of stuff pronto (from a distance). I just rang BMO and they said they don't do it either, would I like a credit card? No I wouldn't. Is it available anywhere? Does anyone have one?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You're best to get a credit card because you need to build up a credit rating in Canada, and you can only do that by using credit. So while I can't answer your question, get a credit card as well and pay it off in full each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Faith wrote: »
    You're best to get a credit card because you need to build up a credit rating in Canada, and you can only do that by using credit. So while I can't answer your question, get a credit card as well and pay it off in full each month.

What about prepaid credit cards the rates actually seem decent and just top emm up at a post office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I had to sort this out this morning, so I got going and found just three banks here currently offering it:

http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/new-cards/index.jsp

As for a credit rating, I hope I don't later regret this but I'm allergic to debt and don't plan on borrowing money for cars/houses. I'm passed the first third of my life avoiding it, I'm adamant to stay this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Both CIBC and TD provide Visa Debit cards which can be used online.
    Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had to sort this out this morning, so I got going and found just three banks here currently offering it:

http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/new-cards/index.jsp

As for a credit rating, I hope I don't later regret this but I'm allergic to debt and don't plan on borrowing money for cars/houses. I'm passed the first third of my life avoiding it, I'm adamant to stay this way.

Well, it's probably not such an issue in Ireland if you plan on buying cars/houses with 100% cash, but in Canada it could become an issue if you want to even get a mobile phone contract or rent certain apartments. Many places will request a credit rating and no credit score = a bad credit score in the vendor's eyes.

This discussion isn't really suited to this forum, but it is something important to bear in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 james182

Big banks most likely won't issue a credit card to someone with no Canadian credit history or to non residents. What you can do is to get a credit card from a credit union. They are a lot more flexible with issuing their credit cards and you probably can get one if you have a job and stable income.

Prepaid credit cards are no good- basically you barely benefit from it except for being able to buy stuff online. As was said above TD offers visa debit cards. I couldn't believe it but I purchased some stuff from Amazon with my visa debit and it actually went through

Advertisement