Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really simple GIMP query

• 26-05-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Would any extremely kind individual care to help me with a GIMP issue that has been driving me up the wall.

I've been using the program quite a bit lately to do up graphics for print, and I've gotten fairly used to the layout and so forth.

But one thing does my head in regarding the 'rectangle select' tool. Has anyone had the same issue, whereby it just randomly switches mode from 'Replace the current selection' (which is the mode I exclusively need for my purposes) to 'Subtract from the current selection' (which I can safely say I have never once needed).

This leaves me needing to go back and manually click it back to the original setting, and it's just a right pain. I also can't seem to figure out what I'm doing that causes it to switch settings so randomly, there doesn't seem to be a pattern at all; you cut/copy and paste a few selections from a layer and all of a sudden the little minus appears beside the icon, indicating the setting has changed.

Is there a setting I can change or something that will force the program to never ever change from the original setting (i.e. 'replace current selection')?

It's GIMP 2.8.6 running on a Mac OSX 10.8.5.

Thanks a mil,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 allfred

Hi Neil,

Not sure why your GIMP is switching Selection option but what I know that I use as short-cut when using the selection tool is that using the selection tool:
    *Click and Drag will substitute the actual selection with the new selection.
    *Ctrl + Click and Drag will subtract the second selection to the first one.
    *Shift + Click and Drag will add the second selection to the first one.

Could it be that when you press one of those buttons like Alt or Cmd or Ctrl or Shift will change your selection option?

Never happened that to me but I use GIMP often on Win and Linux, not so often on Mac.

Cheers

Advertisement