Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The End of the Soccer Season?

• 26-05-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Came across the below opinion on the end of the soccer season. Well written in fairness and deserved of a constructive and open discussion on the domestic game's place in the country's soccer landscape. One related question I would ask - was yesterday's poor attendance at the Turkey game stemmed from a culture where people don't go to a live games regularly? I suppose the Shamrock Rovers v Liverpool game recently would suggest otherwise.

http://www.krank.ie/category/opinions/end-soccer-season/

The End of the Soccer Season?

So it’s the end of the football season. All the Arsenal fans are celebrating an FA Cup win and Manchester City fans have a league title in their back pocket, and this one was won on points no less!

Barcelona fans are crying into their coffee and churros at a title lost in dramatic fashion. Atletico Madrid fans are gearing up for a league and European Cup double or in the case of Real Madrid they are finally in touching distance of La Décima.

Juventus fans are basking in the glory of a record breaking season and Bayern Munich fans have a league and German Cup double despite boring us into submission with Pep’s tiki-taka. I’m sure I could say something about Netherlands, Portugal and Scotland too, but let’s be honest, most Irish football fans probably don’t really care about them. The SPL, sorry SPFL is nothing without the Old Firm derby and even then that’s just an advertisement for al that is glorious about sectarianism.

So until June 12th when the World Cup begins in Brazil there’s no soccer on anywhere.

Or is there?

There is plenty of soccer out there – and it’s in Ireland! Live soccer, in stadia, which aren’t too far from your home. Live football matches that don’t require a trip to the city or town in question by plane or ferry. Live soccer matches with young Irish talent at the core of most squads.

What more can you ask for? You’re a football fan. Go watch some football!

Now, the stadium seats aren’t as plush as your leather corner sofa nor will Martin Tyler or Alan Smith get to call the plays in your ear. There’s no cover if it starts to rain in some grounds. And you will have to deal with a crappy tannoy. But that’s the joy of live sport. It’s the joy that people all over Europe have week in and week out going to live local sport to see local heroes playing for their local team

And then there’s the visiting grounds and towns you may not ordinarily see or visit. Seeing players as they rise in stature from young mites to international players; it’s a sight I tell you. Remember Séamus Coleman at Sligo, James McClean at Derry or even Kevin Doyle and Shane Long at Cork? No? Why ever not? They were playing every week and they were travelling all over the country too, for your delectation. Now they ply their trades in another country. But there’s a new generation you should get out to see.

The English season starts in the middle of August. So that gives you thirteen or so weeks to get out there and see some local talent and experience some local sport. Don’t worry, Manchester United or Liverpool won’t feel hard done by if you have a sneaky trip to Turner’s Cross or Tallaght Stadium or The Showgrounds. But do give it a bash – You won’t regret it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Well written alright, can't see many people going to LOI matches just because EPL is finished though.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great another LOI mafia thread. :rolleyes:

I go to LOI games (cork city) but you do nothing for the cause with posts like this OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We have these threads every summer. People are just not interested in going to games.

If someone goes to a game and doesn't like it then fine. But I'll never get why someone is unwilling to take 2 hours to go and see their local LOI team (if they have one). Just once. Too many people call the league crap or decide they won't like it without going to a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was going to LOI matches before the EPL finished for the summer and will continue to go after it resumes in august.

LOI just doesn't run for 13 weeks each summer OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Oat23 wrote: »
    We have these threads every summer. People are just not interested in going to games.
    That simple really. And there will undoubtedly be people who hold threads like this up as proof they're being harassed by rabid LOI diehards and that's why they won't go to games. It's nonsense. If people want to go to games, there are at least 10 of them on every week. If they don't, fine, but I'll still be out supporting my team regardless of what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oat23 wrote: »

If someone goes to a game and doesn't like it then fine. But I'll never get why someone is unwilling to take 2 hours to go and see their local LOI team (if they have one). Just once. Too many people call the league crap or decide they won't like it without going to a game.

Its not a crap league, I have only starting going again in the last 18 months mainly because the small fella likes it. It is massively inferior to the EPL but then again most leagues are.

I urge anyone to go to a game but mocking EPL supporters is not the way to go about it. It comes across im a better fan than you because I support my local team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The problem is, If a person attends a match and its a poor game, they says its crap bla bla Im not going back, and have a perception that all games are bad.
    This is the case with a mate of mine who came on the bus with us to Athlone on Easter Monday, said it was shocking etc...and he would never go again, I pointed out that alot of games on Sky from the EPL are shocking to watch at times and he had no reply but still I doubt il see him at a Dundalk game home or away again (unless we get to the FAI Cup final or draw a big side in Europe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

rob316 wrote: »
    Its not a crap league, I have only starting going again in the last 18 months mainly because the small fella likes it. It is massively inferior to the EPL but then again most leagues are.

I urge anyone to go to a game but mocking EPL supporters is not the way to go about it. It comes across im a better fan than you because I support my local team.

He didn't say it was, he was alluding to the fact that many will think it is a crap league regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

The anti other league LOI fans are a problem that have always existed. I turned into one briefly around 10-15 years ago. When I look back at that period I think "what an asshole", as thats the way militant LOI heads behave to non LOI fans - like as asshole.

By all means we should encourage fellas to try a game or 2. More often than not it will not work, but this season a Manyoo supporting friend who never darkened an LOI ground before the end of last season, is a fully paid up season ticket holder with us this season. And he is enthusiastic and genuinely enjoying it all.
    This is the case with a mate of mine who came on the bus with us to Athlone on Easter Monday, said it was shocking etc.

he didn't enjoy the bus part either? TBH, For aways, I think I always enjoyed the bus too and from more than the actual game. The social side of LOI is a massive thing for many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

being harassed by rabid LOI diehards

That's the worst thing about internet football forums, I find: the amount of diehard supporters you find on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

gimmick wrote: »
    He didn't say it was, he was alluding to the fact that many will think it is a crap league regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

The anti other league LOI fans are a problem that have always existed. I turned into one briefly around 10-15 years ago. When I look back at that period I think "what an asshole", as thats the way militant LOI heads behave to non LOI fans - like as asshole.

By all means we should encourage fellas to try a game or 2. More often than not it will not work, but this season a Manyoo supporting friend who never darkened an LOI ground before the end of last season, is a fully paid up season ticket holder with us this season. And he is enthusiastic and genuinely enjoying it all.

he didn't enjoy the bus part either? TBH, For aways, I think I always enjoyed the bus too and from more than the actual game. The social side of LOI is a massive thing for many.

Ah he said the bus was good craic, but at the end of the day he was there to watch a game of football. If I had of took him to pats earlier on in season or any of the last 3 home games in oriel, Id put my money on that he would be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is this a new thread or was the appropriate first reply deleted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I go watch football in the local parks and when ever work permits go watch a game in St.Anne's or wherever a match is near me . Am I still not a true supporter cause I don't go watch LOI or am I cool now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

rob316 wrote: »
    Great another LOI mafia thread. :rolleyes:

I go to LOI games (cork city) but you do nothing for the cause with posts like this OP.
    Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I go watch football in the local parks and when ever work permits go watch a game in St.Anne's or wherever a match is near me . Am I still not a true supporter cause I don't go watch LOI or am I cool now?
    Why are people getting so uptight about someone advertising LOI football to people who don't go?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Article in the OP is fairly harmless, at worst it's a bit condescending.

Some bizarre reactions in this thread.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

anncoates wrote: »
    That's the worst thing about internet football forums, I find: the amount of diehard supporters you find on them.

I think one of the worst things about forums is someone using the word 'harassed' for a thread they have the option to not read.

In fairness like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Article in the OP is fairly harmless, at worst it's a bit condescending.

Some bizarre reactions in this thread.

Harmless alright but why not just point out the good things of Loi football without the need to have a go at people who watch English football. People just ignore it straight away.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Harmless alright but why not just point out the good things of Loi football without the need to have a go at people who watch English football. People just ignore it straight away.

I agree it's not the best way of going about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I wrote a similar article along the same lines for that website too. Ah, shameless plugs eh?

http://www.krank.ie/category/opinions/supporting-irish-football-means/
    I think it’s important to note that this isn’t going to be an article based on making fun of “barstoolers” and those who criticise the League of Ireland at every turn. In fact, far from it. Newcastle United are my first love when it comes to football- although our relationship has been on the rocks recently- but this is beside the point. In fact, what I’m trying to convey, if anything, is the passion and new found love I have found in football by attending games that are readily available on our doorstep each and every week.

Nicely written :)

Nicely written :)

It'll be in the programme on Friday night actually. I've just saved you €4. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

As the OP, I didn't want to discuss the article too much initially as I saw it as a well written piece and I didn't want to influence the direction of the discussion. I'm not a LoI diehard. The LoI has roots in half the counties of Ireland, I'm outside that half. I've always followed the game across the water. I've supported the local game as well. Our best players go across the water. That leads to the interest in the action over there. I suppose personally I've no problem of accepting the level of the game here and it doesn't put me off. Live games are great and a good buzz. In the GAA clubs go about their level at intermediate and junior championships. I've been to many good games at those levels in County, provincial and all-Ireland level.
    Getting back on topic regards the article, I thought it was well written. There was a place for it where some might claim the season is over. It highlights where action is business as usual. Christy Ring teams are continuing at their level, LoI teams at their's and junior/intermediate clubs at their's. While competing in my own sporting interests, it's enjoyable taking in local sports and world sports then as well. The article in fairness raises the question as to why interest in the domestic game and action across the water can't co-exist? One has our emerging talent and the other our country's top players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

As the OP, I didn't want to discuss the article too much initially as I saw it as a well written piece and I didn't want to influence the direction of the discussion. I'm not a LoI diehard. The LoI has roots in half the counties of Ireland, I'm outside that half. I've always followed the game across the water. I've supported the local game as well. Our best players go across the water. That leads to the interest in the action over there. I suppose personally I've no problem of accepting the level of the game here and it doesn't put me off. Live games are great and a good buzz. In the GAA clubs go about their level at intermediate and junior championships. I've been to many good games at those levels in County, provincial and all-Ireland level.
    Getting back on topic regards the article, I thought it was well written. There was a place for it where some might claim the season is over. It highlights where action is business as usual. Christy Ring teams are continuing at their level, LoI teams at their's and junior/intermediate clubs at their's. While competing in my own sporting interests, it's enjoyable taking in local sports and world sports then as well. The article in fairness raises the question as to why interest in the domestic game and action across the water can't co-exist? One has our emerging talent and the other our country's top players.

I don't think there is some conspiracy or what ever one might call it, as to why people don't attend LoI games. People don't attend because the "product" isn't good enough to attract them. If somone can figure out how to change that....Thats not a dig but just trying to look at it objectively.

Very few attended Rugby years ago and that changed in the last 10 years or so. Perhaps there might be something to take from that. I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

and it’s in Ireland! Live soccer, in stadia, which aren’t too far from your home.

This old chestnut. To watch the LoI live I would have to drive the best part of an hour to get there, pay for parking and so on. It's not worth it. I'll watch the local lads instead. Those games are literally not far from home.

lertsnim wrote: »
    This old chestnut. To watch the LoI live I would have to drive the best part of an hour to get there, pay for parking and so on. It's not worth it. I'll watch the local lads instead. Those games are literally not far from home.

You're right too. There is a lack of clubs around the country connected to the national league and being central to the development of the game.
    8 first teams took in the A championship over 4 years. The current first division has less than 8 first teams. It seems a seriously regressive step by the FAI to scrap the A championship, a level which gave new clubs and regions a platform to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Corholio wrote: »
    I think one of the worst things about forums is someone using the word 'harassed' for a thread they have the option to not read. In fairness like.

Was being sarcastic. It's one of the stranger aspects of the forum that people that go to games are assigned the negative connotation of 'diehard' or 'fanatic' whereas people often saying that who support Liverpool and United and spend hours every day arguing about it, getting infracted, banned and whatever are just casual sports fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Want to know why I don't go to LOI games?

Its not exactly that the standard is poor, its more that the standard is too close to my own standard, mentally for me they are too close to home. I don't like watching live football because all it does is make me want to go out and play myself, something I can't really do anymore. I don't want to cheer on some local lad, I want to do it myself.

I played a lot of club GAA and if I go home and watch the lads play now all I want to do is tog out and get onto the pitch. Theres a serious sense of yearning there, I want to play so I get no enjoyment from watching others do it.

The Premier league with all the razzle dazzle is a different beast, I am disassociated from the ritual and hype that comes with that level of football so I can just watch it as entertainment. I don't miss playing in front of 50,000 people because I never did that. I did play in front of 500 people though, so now standing in a crowd of 500 people just depresses me.

Its not exactly that the standard is poor, its more that the standard is too close to my own standard, mentally for me they are too close to home. I don't like watching live football because all it does is make me want to go out and play myself, something I can't really do anymore. I don't want to cheer on some local lad, I want to do it myself.

What if you were to get involved with a local youth team as a coaching role or something?

I love MMA. Would love to compete but due to being blind in one eye I'll never be able to. Doesn't stop me from engaging in conversation or even just training on punching bags etc.

Giving up hope on a sport because you can't compete is like cutting air from your lungs.

Bit of a bizarre argument as to why you won't go to games imo.

Fescue wrote: »
    I don't think there is some conspiracy or what ever one might call it, as to why people don't attend LoI games. People don't attend because the "product" isn't good enough to attract them. If somone can figure out how to change that....Thats not a dig but just trying to look at it objectively.

Very few attended Rugby years ago and that changed in the last 10 years or so. Perhaps there might be something to take from that. I don't know.

You're entitled to do what you want and watch whatever football you want, and I don't really care what you do, but this product argument is rubbish.

We as football fans, be it the guy who is at every Shels game, the girl who goes over to a good few Liverpool games, the guy who watches every Chelsea game on TV, the teenager who watches the highlights of Man United on Match of the Day, none of us would be happy to consider ourselves as consumers.

We unanimously scoff at those we consider to be consumers, be that the LOI fan who slags the Liverpool fan from Swords, or the Man United fan from Kerry who slags the lad who recently changed teams to Man City because he perceives them to now play the best football.

None of these groups would be happy to consider ourselves consumers who consistently look for the best football at the best value.

None of us look for the best product. We largely like the same team we did as a kid whether they're ****e or ridiculously expensive to watch, or both.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Giving up hope on a sport because you can't compete is like cutting air from your lungs.

Bit of a bizarre argument as to why you won't go to games imo.

And I find it quite bizarre that that is what you took from my post.

• Advertisement

And I find it quite bizarre that that is what you took from my post.
    I don't like watching live football because all it does is make me want to go out and play myself, something I can't really do anymore. I don't want to cheer on some local lad, I want to do it myself.

It's admirable that you'd rather play and you said you can't really play anymore and that's fair enough.

I want to play guitar but I can't do that. Doesn't mean that I won't stop going to gigs or listening to music.

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's admirable that you'd rather play and you said you can't really play anymore and that's fair enough.

I want to play guitar but I can't do that. Doesn't mean that I won't stop going to gigs or listening to music.

It might mean though that you prefer to go to Whelans for a gig instead of just listening to the buskers on Grafton street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »
    You're entitled to do what you want and watch whatever football you want, and I don't really care what you do, but this product argument is rubbish.

We as football fans, be it the guy who is at every Shels game, the girl who goes over to a good few Liverpool games, the guy who watches every Chelsea game on TV, the teenager who watches the highlights of Man United on Match of the Day, none of us would be happy to consider ourselves as consumers.

We unanimously scoff at those we consider to be consumers, be that the LOI fan who slags the Liverpool fan from Swords, or the Man United fan from Kerry who slags the lad who recently changed teams to Man City because he perceives them to now play the best football.

None of these groups would be happy to consider ourselves consumers who consistently look for the best football at the best value.

None of us look for the best product. We largely like the same team we did as a kid whether they're ****e or ridiculously expensive to watch, or both.

Excellent, excellent post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Stirring stuff but I thought the idea of this thread was to encourage people who don't regularly attend LoI games to do so?

Stirring stuff but I thought the idea of this thread was to encourage people who don't regularly attend LoI games to do so?

As the OP, that wasn't really my intention. Possibly the intention of the person who wrote the opinion itself. I just thought it was well written and merited discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Want to know why I don't go to LOI games?

Its not exactly that the standard is poor, its more that the standard is too close to my own standard, mentally for me they are too close to home.
    You must be pretty good so.

• Advertisement

It was, and people were up in arms about that and I'm responding to them. I definitely don't consider myself an ambassador for the League of Ireland, just a Shelbourne fan.

If someone wants to start going to Shels games I'm delighted with that and they're my friend almost by default, but I couldn't be arsed trying to persuade people other than my friends. People will do what they want in the end anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It was, but with most of these LOI threads, its either EPL fans slagging off the LOI, or visa versa.

In summery, I think what CSF is saying is, we are all football/soccer fans, why cant we just all get along.

:D

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It was, but with most of these LOI threads, its either EPL fans slagging off the LOI, or visa versa.

In summery, I think what CSF is saying is, we are all football/soccer fans, why cant we just all get along.

:D

As the OP that's what I was hoping everyone would agree on. Football is a global game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

lertsnim wrote: »
    I've driven to every ground in the league and never paid for parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

It was, and people were up in arms about that and I'm responding to them. I definitely don't consider myself an ambassador for the League of Ireland, just a Shelbourne fan.

If someone wants to start going to Shels games I'm delighted with that and they're my friend almost by default, but I couldn't be arsed trying to persuade people other than my friends. People will do what they want in the end anyway.

LOI is sound.The social life surrounding the whole thing is deadly.
    I wouldnt force anything down the necks of anyone though.If you dont like it its sh*t.Write smart or cheeky comments all you want and you wont convince them.
    BIG loss for them,leave them go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

This thread is the reason football fans are driven off boards and you have the crap you see most of the time.

Advertisement