Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best Eircom deal for an 85 year olds landline, no interest in bb or bundl

Options
  • 26-05-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

My mother in law is a pensioner and wants to know what is the best deal for her in terms of an Eircom landline. She has no interest in BB or any other services (she has a vodafone mobile account),

Currently she is on a product called "eircom Talk Anytime" and her total bill for a period is about €90 including VAT. Typically she spends about an hour on the phone to her sister in the UK and about two hours on the phone to friends and relatives in Irleand.

€90 seems excessive given her very low usage.

I tried to encourage her to save her money and "jack in" the landline but she is set in her ways and insists on keeping it.

My question : what is the cheapest way for her to do this?

Thanks
    Rev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

My mother in law is a pensioner and wants to know what is the best deal for her in terms of an Eircom landline. She has no interest in BB or any other services (she has a vodafone mobile account),

Currently she is on a product called "eircom Talk Anytime" and her total bill for a period is about €90 including VAT. Typically she spends about an hour on the phone to her sister in the UK and about two hours on the phone to friends and relatives in Irleand.

I tried to encourage her to save her money and "jack in" the landline but she is set in her ways and insists on keeping it.

Thanks
    Rev

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi RevBlueJeans

I agree, the current amount is quite a lot for a monthly bill - The recent decision by the government to cut the phone allowance also doesn’t help however I'm sure there would be a cheaper alternative which eircom can offer. Unfortunately I will be unable to arrange packages and discounts however our customer loyalty team would be more than happy to help with this.

In the presence of your mother in law (To serve as verification) please contact the customer loyalty team on free phone 1901 (make sure to ask for the loyalty team) where they will find a plan to suit the type of calls made.

Many thanks
    Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply.

RevBJ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Thanks
    Rev
    I see she has broadband already with vodafone. Does her sister have any kind of internet. Perhaps skype would be an option.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply.

RevBJ
    No problem RevBlueJeans

Thanks
    Al

Thanks greenmachine , she only has an old fashioned mobile phone and is not interested in an internet connection. Thanks anyway for the Skype suggestion. Do Eircom offer a package with a low standing charge an reasonable charges for low usage? it would be nice to know some of the options before calling the "smooth" operators at the Eircom call centre!
    rev bj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Thanks
    Rev
    Hi RevBlueJeans

I have just looked at this. Is she on a two monthly or a monthly bill as it does seem very high for that usage if it is a monthly bill? I would recommend that she call 1901 (you can do it with her, you may just need to put here on the Phone briefly to confirm she is the account holder and you have permission to change the package). Talk anytime is €40 per month and includes unlimited calls to Irish Landlines at all times. However it may be advisable for her to get an add-on for €7.50 per month which gives her 120 free minutes to UK/International landlines each month. This may be more beneficial cost wise.

Hope this helps
    thanks
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Hello revbj, my elderly neighbour had the same problem a month ago and was able to get a package from eircom called "Talktime Control". If a person was getting the  old Telephone Allowance from Social Welfare,  Talktime Control costs 19.50 per month, if not it's 30.78. The price includes line rental and 5 euro call credit. Here's a link to T&Cs. As you can see, it's only on sale til end of June.

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Pt2.3.7.pdf

Hello revbj, my elderly neighbour had the same problem a month ago and was able to get a package from eircom called "Talktime Control". If a person was getting the  old Telephone Allowance from Social Welfare,  Talktime Control costs 19.50 per month, if not it's 30.78. The price includes line rental and 5 euro call credit. Here's a link to T&Cs. As you can see, it's only on sale til end of June.

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Pt2.3.7.pdf
    Thanks for your input here redtelephone

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oneway2

OP, I think we have the same mother!

Favorite son (not me, the other one) lives in UK. She used to call him for 1 or 2 hours a time at the weekend.
    She had an old eircom package of unlimited UK weekend calls (60 min limit) but eircom have withdrawn that package.

She is now on the unlimited daytime calls (as she does make a lot of daytime calls). I think this is €40 less the new lower "Granny phone" government subsidy of about €14 per month.
    I'm investigating a number of call-router services so she can get back to calling fattened-calf-boy in the UK again.

eircom standard UK rates are abour 12 cpm (cent per minute)
    you can get an eircom bundle of 120 mins to UK landlines per month for €7.50 which works out at about 6.25 cpm; but that's only 30 min per Sunday and she likes to do 2 hours per weekend.

Now I'm looking at CheapCalls.ie
    you call a 1890 number @ 1.26 cpm and then dial the UK number after that.
    there are other cheaper services but (a) you have to register and (b) they're more complicated. So this one looks like the best combination of cost and ease of use.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks one way! I will look into those for her.  RevBJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭ei9go

oneway2 wrote: »

Now I'm looking at CheapCalls.ie
    you call a 1890 number @ 1.26 cpm and then dial the UK number after that.
    there are other cheaper services but (a) you have to register and (b) they're more complicated. So this one looks like the best combination of cost and ease of use.

I'll let you know how I get on.
    Look at voipstunt.com

For 10 Euro, you get 120 days free calls and after that you use your 10 euro at 1.5 cent per minute to the UK.

You just dial a Dublin number 01 482 7203 on your free Irish calls and then dial your UK or worldwide number.

Dial the number and see how it works.

If you have free mobile minutes you can do the same.

Thanks for all your suggestions here guys :)

Al

She finally took the plunge and dumped Eir (com)!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

She finally took the plunge and dumped Eir (com)!
    Elderly Uncle got rid of his landline a few months back. Elderly Aunt is likely to get rid of hers after Christmas. Many of her friends have done so already. With the cheap packages you can get on mobiles, there really doesn't seem much of a need for a landline if it's only used for calls.

Advertisement