Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving beer in primary?

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I have a batch of hefeweizen in primary now for 3 weeks. It's a 7% PM brew on the rough lines of Weihenstephaner Vitus and I'm wondering if anyone has any guidelines on leaving it in primary, transferring to secondary or just bottling direct? It'll be a cloudy wheat beer no matter what, so clearing won't be an issue.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm a big fan of batch priming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I'd get it off the trub into a secondary for a week before bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

No need for a week in secondary, if you have a second bucket I'd definitely echo Khannie in saying batch priming is the way to go. I'd aim for 3.5 vols of CO2.

Use this link for getting the quantities right --> http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

If you're using carb drops then 2 drops per 500ml bottle for weissbier.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

You won't have problems leaving it much longer than that in Primary. Leaving the beer on the yeast cake too long can introduce some off flavours.

If you rack to secondary, bear in mind that you can oxidise the beer in the process.

Whether you bottle direct from primary, or batch prime, do your carbonation calcs well. A hefe should be highly carbonated, but take into consideration the amount of dissolved CO2 before priming (your calculator should help you with this).

Advertisement