Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a landlord

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

I am living in Australia at the moment and have decided to start renting out my house in Ireland while I am away. I have a tenant lined up but I have no idea what I need to do in terms of registering as a landlord, how I pay tax on rental income etc.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?.

Cheers.

Comments

You need to register with the prtb. Do a tax return on rental income due oct for previous year. Because you live abroad you will have to pay with holding tax of 20% per month, usually collected by agency or tenant. You can claim back a good chunk of this though. One important thing when doing rax return you don't use your pps number, you get a seperate pps number as a landlord living abroad. I learnt this only recently and was delayed claiming back the with holding tax as there was confusion because I used my personal pps number.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

check out www.irishlandlord.com, full of useful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Be aware that unless you use an on-shore agent, your tenant is required to withhold 20% of the rent and pay it to Revenue on your behalf. And Revenue will assist your tenant to do this via the PAYE system, so don't just assume you can work around it.

You should also check with an Australian tax advisor what you have to do re declaring foreign income there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Advertisement