Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal de Luxe September 2014

Comments

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well she is to be at Sarsfield Barracks at 19:00 and her route just before that will be Barrington Street, Pery square, Mallow street and then up the Yellow Road/ Edward street until she gets to the barracks.

So your best bet around 18:30 would be somewhere along that route.

We'll walk that route to Thomond Park so. I'm sure we'll bump into her somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

chicorytip wrote: »
    Does anybody consider this just a gigantic
    waste of money ?

There's always one

If, as predicted it draws 200,000 people into Limerick over 3 days the economic benefit will be much greater than the cost of hosting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭RINO87

You do realise that this is just one of 340 plus (and counting) LCOC events this year right, the program is rammed with genuine/local and national talent, I've been to about 40 different events already this year...this was one of the headline events, and to be fair it was justified, if it were not for this event the rest of the country wouldn't even know the City of Culture was happening....

I'm at the stage where I do not care what anyone thinks of this city anymore, what I seen is enough for me, this is one of the most culturally diverse/talented cities in the country...

The decision to go ahead with this has demonstrated real ambition and I for one take my hat off to them, there are a lot of factors that they have no control over (weather, press coverage, attendance etc) so it really is a gamble...I hope it goes well for all parties concerned, this year has been a revelation they deserve it.

Great post!!! So so much happening for it this year, so sick of the whole 'shur there's nothing on for me' or 'why would I go to that' rubbish. This year us supposed to be about opening your eyes, trying something different!! I've recently moved back to limerick after being away for a few years, I'm not originally from here but limerick folk genuinely seem surprised when I tell them that I like the place. I don't know why. Yes the place has its faults but where doesn't but for me limerick is by far the most genuine, interesting and unique city in this country by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any live webcams for limerick city, that would be on the route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Any live feed ? Anywhere ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

She's adorable. She also peed on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Traffic has been bedlam. Anybody should try and avoid the city during it. The Gardai had all the streets on the route closed even though they were supposed to be staggered between the morning and afternoon movements.

The town is buzzing today. Loads of people are around.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Traffic has been bedlam. Anybody should try and avoid the city during it. The Gardai had all the streets on the route closed even though they were supposed to be staggered between the morning and afternoon movements.

The town is buzzing today. Loads of people are around.

What are the chances of me getting anywhere near the bank of ireland? Will I be better off waiting till Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Peeing outside Supermacs - they've done their homework!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Heres a video I took today.

http://youtu.be/Z4fvQGooKbk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Couple of photos

[IMG][/img]03fee9ca-3d8e-4473-a30c-ca75e84f7399_zps390de35e.jpg

IMG_3928_zps08fddff5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Working in town myself and although the road closures are supposed to be staggered it is best off just avoiding the city for the entire weekend. Park outside and walk in is the best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Granny worth 30 million to the city, as good as 3 Heino cup matches!

Taken from: http://royaldeluxelimerick.ie/granny-set-to-be-e30m-hit
    Granny set to be €30m hit
    AUGUST 27TH 2014

The story of the giant marionette comes from the wild imagination of Jean Luc Courcoult, who visited Limerick yesterday.

The most anticipated event in the Limerick City of Culture calendar will see the 25ft grandmother move slowly through the city’s iconic landmarks.

To mark the occasion, the Irish Independent on Saturday, 30 August, will publish a special 16-page guide to the three-day RDL spectacular.

The guide contains information on how to get to Limerick for the event and includes details and maps on where to see the spectacular as it moves through the city’s streets.

A team of 27 ‘Lilliputians” will shadow the grandmother as she walks for three days around Limerick, covering 19km.

Described by the creator as ‘tough, daring and mischievous,’ the Giant Grandmother attracted one million visitors during her recent visit to Liverpool. Now she is set to generate an estimated €30m for the Limerick economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Pic from today.

1531914_10153197361322178_5321402998118551108_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Seeing as nobody mentioned it yet....the music was perfect...even saw a few auld ones boppin' away to it.

Followed (and ran ahead) for most of the trip from William St up to the Park.
    Much, much better while she was 'walking'.
    They seemed to use the wheelchair to keep her below the ESB wires from The Crescent/Barrington St onwards and definitely not even half the experience.

Very pleased with the whole experience (and I Drive a Taxi 'round Limerick, so the street closures will obviously hurt my pocket, but I believe it is more than worth any inconvenience caused).

I'm away for the weekend, but really hope the next two days are a huge success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Good evening all,

Something a bit different today, a Grandmother Giant arriving by train into Limerick Station for the start of the Limerick City of Culture headline event of the year, The Royal de Luxe ‘The Giant’s Journey’.

The Grandmother Giant will roam the streets of Limerick for three days between 5th-7th September 2014. 085 did the honours this morning of hauling the Grandmother Giant into Limerick.

Click http://smu.gs/1qlEp3y to view pictures and videos of the event.

Enjoy!
    The Wanderer.

DSC_3282-M.jpg

le_girl wrote: »
    She's adorable. She also peed on O'Connell Street.

:eek: what

is she incontinent ??? must bring a rainjacket just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

fryup wrote: »

Some uproar on Facebook about it :eek:

fryup wrote: »

Maybe, she went a few times.

She also spits and smokes a pipe!

I still think she's adorable despite her bad habits. There was a nice moment where she passed another (non-giant, real life) granny on an apartment balcony and turned her head to look at her. Probably staged but it was very sweet.

Can we keep her?

There are some great photos on Twitter.

Two grannies meeting: http://t.co/sADBrnKzbq

Peeing on O'Connell Street!: http://t.co/9lbpxxxHlX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya she was staring in at the people on their balconies above clohesseys. I think it's very good. There is a great buzz around the city following it and kids and adults are all enjoying it. Can't understand such negativity about it from a lot of people.

Pictures and videos do the experience absolutely no justice either. You have to see it in action. I also agree the being in the wheel chair isn't half as good as seeing her walking around.

le_girl wrote: »

Peeing on O'Connell Street!: http://t.co/9lbpxxxHlX

she really did pee :eek: i thought people were only joking

* bit inappropriate don't you think, not very nice on old people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

Anyone know if there is a park and ride from dooradoyle/raheen side of town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

d1980 wrote: »

south court or greyhound track dock road

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

d1980 wrote: »

Only from the greyhound track on the Dock rd I think. I believe the UL park and ride was full at one stage today so could happen tomorrow as well.

edit: didn't realise there was one at the south court. Nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

royaldeluxelimerick.ie/the-story#park-and-ride

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Planning on heading in on Sunday, hoping to head in early and maybe getting breakfast somewhere.

Will be walking in from Mary Immaculate towards the treaty stone, so anywhere between those.

Nothing fancy just thought I'd treat my 9 yr old to brekkie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

People giving out about her peeing. It's not like she displayed her fonge to the whole of Limerick and sprayed it up and down the street. The kids had a great laugh out of it! Isn't that all it's supposed to do? Give people a bit of a laugh? :eek:

The super-citizens need a grip on reality and see the light side of the whole thing.

I agree with whoever said you need to actually see it to get the whole experience and the music was actually pretty damn good too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Went down by Clohessys to see it because it was moving in the chair up town and it was hard to get through the crowds as was with my sister and her kids

Raging we didnt know about the storytelling bit or that she was going to stop cause when down by howleys quay she didnt really do anything,kids bit disappointed but loved it for its size

Try get in tomorrow and see her in action better

Whats is the story line so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

what would be the best location to get most of it?

Advertisement