Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal de Luxe September 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Anybody know what time the granny gets going at today ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

brianon wrote: »
    Anybody know what time the granny gets going at today ?

Is it that hard to google?
    http://royaldeluxelimerick.ie/maps

5uspect wrote: »
    Is it that hard to google?
    http://royaldeluxelimerick.ie/maps

Had google it a few times. Hadn't found it. Thanks for the link and the lovely attitude.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

brianon wrote: »
    Had google it a few times. Hadn't found it. Thanks for the link and the lovely attitude.

You didn't say that in your original post tho did you. It was also posted here just yesterday. So I'm lead to believe that you simply didn't bother.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Lovely feeling already in town today already, lots of people around enjoying the sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I saw the giant twice and thought its just great. I've spoken to enough people on the streets to tell you that some people just don't "get it".

Some of them just didn't appreciate its an art installation of sorts and has a story surrounding it and if you did follow the giant you'd get it.

Some were businesses and taxi drivers complaining about lack of trade. Needless to say those were not shop or restaurants who seemed to do very well.

For families it was amazing and the streets were thronged. There wasn't flood of people on so many roads heading to town. The crowds were so big at hassetts cross se people were nearly up at Thomond park as there were so many people last evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Apparently, she won't be able to leave via boat due to low tides.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/live-limerickgiant-prepares-to-depart-the-city-1-6284140

New route is reported to be:
    After making her way from Shelbourne Park, where she slept last night, to the Treaty Stone, Granny will head to Brian Boro Square via Clancy Strand, Sarsfield Bridge, Patrick Street, Rutland Street and Mathew Bridge.

There will then be a procession back to the city centre encorporating Rutland Street, Patrick Street, O’Connell Street, Sarsfield Street, Lower Cecil Street before finishing at O’Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I didn't go in to see it, clowns, mimes and puppets creep me out:o, but it was great to see coverage of so many people in Limerick city centre. I hope it brought a well needed boost to Limerick businesses. Hopefully, there will be more great events to draw people into the city centre and that large events to attract tourists won't end after the City of Culture finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Overall it was a great event but today was a bit of an anti climax. The river departure wouldve been nice.:(

teddyhead wrote: »
    Overall it was a great event but today was a bit of an anti climax. The river departure wouldve been nice.:(

Was very good. Got a good spot on sarsfield bridge by getting there an hour early. Pity she was almost an hour and a half late ! Still good though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Why didn't the departure on the river happen?

Pacifico wrote: »
    Why didn't the departure on the river happen?

I think someone may have forgotten to check the tide times.
    The water was too low apparently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Saw granny, but missed the story. What was going on with the people under the umbrellas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

teddyhead wrote: »
    I think someone may have forgotten to check the tide times.
    The water was too low apparently.

Surely not as simple as that?? Perhaps it has been extremely dry of late??

This was a disappointment as the river and it's symbolic importance to Limerick would have been the ideal way to say goodbye to the old lady we've (mostly) taken to our hearts. I'm not from Limerick originally but I have been very proud to be a resident for the past few days, it's hard to explain but there has been a great atmosphere all along the routes for the three days, for some reason I've ended up in numerous conversations with people I would half know or know to see. I don't think Limerick will ever forget this weekend. I hope the event has at least broke even when all the sums are done up as I'd hate for the nay sayers to gain more ammunition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Surely not as simple as that?? Perhaps it has been extremely dry of late??

This was a disappointment as the river and it's symbolic importance to Limerick would have been the ideal way to say goodbye to the old lady we've (mostly) taken to our hearts. I'm not from Limerick originally but I have been very proud to be a resident for the past few days, it's hard to explain but there has been a great atmosphere all along the routes for the three days, for some reason I've ended up in numerous conversations with people I would half know or know to see. I don't think Limerick will ever forget this weekend. I hope the event has at least broke even when all the sums are done up as I'd hate for the nay sayers to gain more ammunition.

No that's exactly how simple it is the tide level was miscalculated or someone simply didn't check the tide.

The granny spat on my neice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Granny's stop on the bridge and the great show provided there shows we could have concerts on the bridge in future. Clearly visible from the 4 river banks. It was a perfect natural stage. Sound travelled very clearly. Well done to those who brought a great festival weekend to the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

The technical issue they had meant they missed the tide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It was simply a stunning weekend, the music/atmosphere/organisation was excellent, the Gardai (who are in my opinion one of the best regional forces in the country) went above and beyond this weekend.

The city looked fantastic.

It was always going to be a gamble, but everyone did their city proud this weekend. It was like a sobre Mardi Gras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

sioda wrote: »
    The technical issue they had meant they missed the tide.

what technical issue?

• Advertisement

what technical issue?

I think the 'technical issue' was just stalling for time , in the hope that the tide might have come in enough to allow the finale to take place.
    The official start time coincided exactly with low tide. So the delay actually would have helped rather than hindered grannys departure by boat.I guess they just couldnt wait around for the two or three extra hours required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

angeldaisy wrote: »
    What was going on with the people under the umbrellas??

yes what was that about? they were all dressed in black like they were going to a funeral:confused:

very strange, didn't go with the upbeat mood of the whole thing

fryup wrote: »
    yes what was that about? they were all dressed in black like they were going to a funeral:confused:

Well given that Granny essentially 'died' outside Brown Thomas rather than depart by boat into the sunset , maybe the mourners were suitable afterall.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Jaysus don't say that, last thing we need is the national media screaming - "Limerick Holiday kills 85 year old Granny!":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As of about 15 minutes ago, there was still a pretty decent sized crowd standing outside Brown Thomas watching her.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

fryup wrote: »

The mourners were symbolic of the sadness that the show was over and that the Granny was leaving .

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Kess73 wrote: »
    As of about 15 minutes ago, there was still a pretty decent sized crowd standing outside Brown Thomas watching her.

I was there watching them load Granny onto the truck. Was out for a meal and just happened to pass. Decent few people stopped passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tylrmd

What a waste of our money Putting up with an incontinent puppet holding the city hostage with its unnecessary traffic restrictions. Garda putting up with unnecessary **** from frustrated drivers all in aid of paying a french circus to cause havoc with a crap event. City of culture my bollocks !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

tylrmd wrote: »
    What a waste of our money Putting up with an incontinent puppet holding the city hostage with its unnecessary traffic restrictions. Garda putting up with unnecessary **** from frustrated drivers all in aid of paying a french circus to cause havoc with a crap event. City of culture my bollocks !!!!!!

Are you alright dere love? Past your bedtime I think:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

tylrmd wrote: »

Are you serious? Something that brings thousands into the city, and that puts Limerick in a fantastic light!

Firzt person ive seen not enjoy it.. It was a fantastic event, the guards all seemed to be in great form and get in on the fun..

Brought a much needed smile to a lot of people, and put a great vibe in the city..

It will remembered as a fantastic event and hopefully itll return eventually..

Advertisement