Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take Care At the Filling Tank

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Coming back from a stroll in Pontorson this evening and saw a dark cloud of smoke, feared the worst that the OH had left Gas on in our MH. Turned out to be a fire at the carrefour down the road from the campsite, unlucky owner had his MH go up in smoke after filling up at the filling station just beside the aire de service in Pontorson. Take care guys can easily happen, I've heard of static sparking a for off like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Coming back from a stroll in Pontorson this evening and saw a dark cloud of smoke, feared the worst that the OH had left Gas on in our MH. Turned out to be a fire at the carrefour down the road from the campsite, unlucky owner had his MH go up in smoke after filling up at the filling station just beside the aire de service in Pontorson. Take care guys can easily happen, I've heard of static sparking a for off like this.

Do you know what caused the fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

*Kol* wrote: »

Haven't heard but the MH was in front of the pumps like it had just gone through for a fill and something sparked the fire. I suspect we'll hear the full facts in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

*Kol* wrote: »

Jeremy Clarkson?

Here's a theory I've yet to test myself. Liquid petrol at outdoor temp and pressure doesn't ignite it's just the vapours that burn, so you could put out a petrol fire with petrol if you pour it on fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A high risk situation is being close to petrol fumes with the fridge running on gas. The chimney effect of the relatively cold air being drawn in through the bottom vent and out through the top one can draw in the fumes and as they pass the flame in the fridge, BOOOOM :eek:

Modern fridges with auto energy selection, if they are working correctly, have a delay of about 10 minutes before they change to gas after the engine has stopped and the 12 volt has ceased for that very reason.
    It is important if the vehicle is stopped at pumps for an extended period that the fridge should be set so it does not auto change it's energy supply to gas :eek:.

Equally if there is a problem with the 12 volt supply and the fridge is being run on gas is a good ides to obey the 'No Naked Flames' signs and turn off the fridge when entering a filling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

niloc1951 wrote: »
    A high risk situation is being close to petrol fumes with the fridge running on gas. The chimney effect of the relatively cold air being drawn in through the bottom vent and out through the top one can draw in the fumes and as they pass the flame in the fridge, BOOOOM :eek:

Modern fridges with auto energy selection, if they are working correctly, have a delay of about 10 minutes before they change to gas after the engine has stopped and the 12 volt has ceased for that very reason.
    It is important if the vehicle is stopped at pumps for an extended period that the fridge should be set so it does not auto change it's energy supply to gas :eek:.

Equally if there is a problem with the 12 volt supply and the fridge is being run on gas is a good ides to obey the 'No Naked Flames' signs and turn off the fridge when entering a filling station.

Good to know niloc1951, as always a wealth of informarion thanks. Turns out the MH wasn't at the pump but parked up near the car wash, still haven't heard what sparked it off? Fire has put the s**ts up my OH so at least she now is aware of the danger of not turning off the gas after a cuppa etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Just bought myself a 6kg fire extinguisher! Dont think the 1/2kg one i had from Aldi would be much use.

BTW would people recommend Foam or Powder in your MH?

nailer8 wrote: »

BTW would people recommend Foam or Powder in your MH?

CO2 because it's easy clean up. Although probably not so good at chemicals fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

CO2 is useless outdoors so if say your engine went up you are screwed. Also really heavy for the amount of it you get in the extinguisher.

• Advertisement

You're right Nailer.
    Small CO2 for the little things and serious one for the more serious would be good. Also if your fire extinguisher goes up it flames you have something else to put it out with.

Advertisement