Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pochettino Next Spurs Manager?

• 26-05-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4100717.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_05_26
    Tottenham Hotspur are expected to name Mauricio Pochettino as their head coach in the next 24 hours after closing in on an agreement that will secure him on a three-year contract.
    Pochettino, 42, hopes to take Jay Rodriguez with him to north London, although the deal is complicated by the striker, who scored 15 league goals to help Southampton finish eighth, having a knee injury that will sideline him until October.
    Tw@tter is going a bit mental with rumours that Pochettino will be announced a the Spurs boss in the next 24 hours after the story appeared on The Times. Some bookies have suspended betting and the odds are into 1/6 on Betfair which is usually spot on with this sort of thing. Looks fairly nailed on at this stage.

Any thoughts on this move? I am sure the expectation will be to secure top 4, but with United surely likely to be stronger next season and Liverpool playing so well, just how difficult of a job will Pochecttino have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4100717.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_05_26

Tw@tter is going a bit mental with rumours that Pochettino will be announced a the Spurs boss in the next 24 hours after the story appeared on The Times. Some bookies have suspended betting and the odds are into 1/6 on Betfair which is usually spot on with this sort of thing. Looks fairly nailed on at this stage.

Any thoughts on this move? I am sure the expectation will be to secure top 4, but with United surely likely to be stronger next season and Liverpool playing so well, just how difficult of a job will Pochecttino have?

I think the biggest question is: who will take on the job at Southampton once/if he leaves? Bigger task improving that team on last season with Lallana and Lovren seemingly heading for the exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I didnt see Rodgers and martinez being as successful at both liverpool and everton and this is a similar appointment so it certainly has the potential, will he get the time is the real question.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Whoever takes over Spurs should make winning the Europa League a top priority, particularly because the winners qualify for 2015/16 Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Interesting times.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I don't know.I rate Pochettino but not as much as some...jury's still out for me, but I think he will get time cause Levy is on thin ice imo.

If he is gone from Southampton then my guess is so is Shaw, Lallana and potentially one of the other six rumoured leaving.

I like Southampton and it would be a pity to see them taken apart, but that's modern day football for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

klose wrote: »
    I didnt see Rodgers and martinez being as successful at both liverpool and everton and this is a similar appointment so it certainly has the potential, will he get the time is the real question.

This is how I view it too. I think he will suit Spurs. It looks a good fit imo but he needs time. They cannot go sacking him if the team are sixth in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Seems like the most sensible scenario to me. Maybe he can get that Argentine kid playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Southampthon to get relegated at 11/1 is worth a sneaky fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Southampthon to get relegated at 11/1 is worth a sneaky fiver.

Not a hope. They'll have money to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Not a hope. They'll have money to spend.
    Stranger things have happened. If they lose the like of Lallana, Shaw and Schneiderlin and with the new owner not too interested in the club the money might not be there to be spent on new players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hope he spends money better than he did at Southampton. Lovren was his only decent signing. Threw huge sums away with Osvaldo and Wanyama.

Suits Spurs down to the ground so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Corholio wrote: »
    Hope he spends money better than he did at Southampton. Lovren was his only decent signing. Threw huge sums away with Osvaldo and Wanyama.

Never considered that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Agueroooo wrote: »
    If he is gone from Southampton then my guess is so is Shaw, Lallana and potentially one of the other six rumoured leaving.

I like Southampton and it would be a pity to see them taken apart, but that's modern day football for ya.

sad really to see Southampton being broken up so savagely , if even half the rumours are true - everything was built so well, before Christmas, young home grown team , playing attractive football - sounds like the new owner has little interest in the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Pochettino has done a great job at Southampton, I think he would do well at spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

thebaz wrote: »
    sad really to see Southampton being broken up so savagely , if even half the rumours are true - everything was built so well, before Christmas, young home grown team , playing attractive football - sounds like the new owner has little interest in the club

When did Southampton get a new owner ?

I know a director of football or something left mid season, bit the owners are still the same I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

When did Southampton get a new owner ?

I know a director of football or something left mid season, bit the owners are still the same I thought

The guy died and left it to his daughter who isn't interested. It's the Liebherr family who have the crane place in Killarney.

I can still see the daughter flogging the club to be honest. Especially if players are allowed to leave and results go downhill.

1/20 on Betfair now - looks like this is a done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I look forward to big spending and no UCL come May.

I'd imagine he'll be raiding Southampton for players!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

No new owners at St Marys, new chairman and director Kruggar (sp) who used to play and coach Ice hockey. If he is gone I get the impression there will be a huge clear out at sms, Shaw, Lallana at the very least to be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine he'll be raiding Southampton for players!

With some of the current prices being estimated for Lallana, Clyne, shaw, etc etc it'll be a very expensive summer if Spurs go down that route and theyve no Bale money to fall back on either.

As being mentioned already, with Utd getting in a great manager and having it seems all the money in the world to spend, top 4 next year will be even tougher as Liverpool dont look like going anywhere fast either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

frimpong wrote: »
    Whoever takes over Spurs should make winning the Europa League a top priority, particularly because the winners qualify for 2015/16 Champions League.

Don't agree. Do that at the expense of the league and you might get into the CL for one season but it'll become more difficult to bridge the gap in the league the year after. New man needs to build a side capable of sustaining a challenge for CL places year in year out. I also think the EL is quite difficult to win - arguably more so than finishing fourth.

Bad move for him and bad move for Spurs in my view. He'll be under more pressure with more expectation than he's ever dealt with. If he's struggling, Levy will pull the trigger. Spurs isn't an environment where a manager can learn as he goes.

For Spurs, if they want someone to perform right away, they should have gone for a proven winner who has done it at the level they aspire to. A Benitez or similar.

I hope I'm wrong but I see this one ending in tears which probably won't get me the 2015 Nostradamus Award because what I've predicted is a little like predicting rain in Ireland in November.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    With some of the current prices being estimated for Lallana, Clyne, shaw, etc etc it'll be a very expensive summer if Spurs go down that route and theyve no Bale money to fall back on either.

As being mentioned already, with Utd getting in a great manager and having it seems all the money in the world to spend, top 4 next year will be even tougher as Liverpool dont look like going anywhere fast either.

Yeah, it's a big year for Spurs. They spent big last year but the Bale money covered quite a bit of it.

Top 4 will be incredibly competitive next year, more so than this year. Hard to know how Spurs will fare, I had them as top 4 certainties last summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If this is confirmed then it will be worth a punt that he will be gone before the end of the next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

gandalf wrote: »
    If this is confirmed then it will be worth a punt that he will be gone before the end of the next season.
    He was average for his first 6 months or so at Southampton. If it takes six months for players to respond to his approach Levy will have him out the door as soon as he came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Wanyama was a good signing and will go onto be an important player for them IMO. Osvaldo wasn't the best piece of business, but he had just had a pretty impressive spell for Roma so I think he can be forgiven for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lukker- wrote: »
    Wanyama was a good signing and will go onto be an important player for them IMO. Osvaldo wasn't the best piece of business, but he had just had a pretty impressive spell for Roma so I think he can be forgiven for that.

He should've known he was mental. He managed him at Espanyol.

Lukker- wrote: »

I disagree. Southampton found their best team when Wanyama got injured and played the way people were praising them for. Osvaldo was as high risk signing as you could get, 1 bloody nose team mate later proves that. It's even worse that he worked with him before and still bought. He was actually really poor football wise too when he played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I disagree. Southampton found their best team when Wanyama got injured and played the way people were praising them for. Osvaldo was as high risk signing as you could get, 1 bloody nose team mate later proves that. It's even worse that he worked with him before and still bought. He was actually really poor football wise too when he played.

I'm not sure about the football, but their defensive record was much better before Wanyama got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

#Pochettino is the new @SpursOfficial head coach: he's just signed a five years contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

In Poch we trust :)

Confirmed now. Logical career progression for Pochettino. The question now is what money will he be given and can he get some of the previous big signings playing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Gentleman's agreement that he won't raid Southampton for all their players thus leaving the door open for Liverpool to snap up all their talent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A 5 year agreement is so mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Confirmed now. Logical career progression for Pochettino. The question now is what money will he be given and can he get some of the previous big signings playing again.

Hoping he will get Lamela and Soldado performing to the level they should be performing at, that would make an big difference to us. Also Eriksen should be even better again with a year in the PL behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It could turn out to be an excellent appointment but I think Spurs could have got someone with a better track record if they pushed. I thought Frank de Boer would have been a good fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

my instinct is that he's slightly overrated.

hopefully that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

And the dissection of Southampton begins.

Such a shame, they had the makings of a very promising team.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

He was average for his first 6 months or so at Southampton. If it takes six months for players to respond to his approach Levy will have him out the door as soon as he came in.

Didn't he beat Liverpool, City and Chelsea at home in his first season, and Ferguson called his team the best to visit Old Trafford not long after he joined?

Thought he made a significant impact in his first season and continued it this year, although they slipped on form at times.

Don't know how Dawson is going to like defending on the half way line. Southampton played a high line all through its reign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Flincher wrote: »
    Didn't he beat Liverpool, City and Chelsea at home in his first season, and Ferguson called his team the best to visit Old Trafford not long after he joined?

Thought he made a significant impact in his first season and continued it this year, although they slipped on form at times.

Don't know how Dawson is going to like defending on the half way line. Southampton played a high line all through its reign.

He's well used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I give him a year tops. The top four is going to be even harder to crack next season for Spurs and if he doesn’t, well Levy hasn’t shown any patience for those who don’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Daniel Levy July 2013:

''AVB has an outstanding reputation for his technical knowledge of the game and for creating well-organised teams capable of playing football in an attractive and attacking style. Andre shares our long-term ambitions and ethos of developing players and nurturing young talent, and he will be able to do so now at a new world-class training centre."

Daniel Levy May 2014:

''In Mauricio I believe we have a head coach who, with his high energy, attacking football, will embrace the style of play we associate with our club. He has a proven ability to develop each player as an individual, whilst building great team spirit and a winning mentality.''

pinchofsalt-carousel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Delighted we got him:D:D and nice and early too instead of waiting til the last day of august like we usually do for important decisions:o

He will be given a fair while to settle as Levy cant possibly sack him as soon as AVB or Timmay can he?

Im hoping to see the return of attacking ,flowing, high tempo football which has been absent for far far too long:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No question that Pochettino did a great job improving pretty much Southampton's whole first 11. Worth mentioning that pretty much all his best players (Lovren the exception, Wanyama good too but not amongst the best) were there upon his arrival. Interesting to see how that will translate to the current squad so there is a risk in itself.

The Spurs fans are probably one of the toughest sets for him to deal with if things don't go to plan too. I was at either the 2nd or 3rd Spurs home game this season gone and AVB was already on the receiving end of dogs abuse from large sections of the Spurs support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You got to feel for Southampton, not the first time Spurs have marched in and poached their manager after they took somewhat of a gamble on the manager in the first place

I can definitely see someone like Lovren following him there, would improve Spurs defence a lot. They can expect to shell out a fair bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around long. Levy must realise that Pochettino is sacked than chances are Levy is going to right out the door behind him. Poch and Spurs in general won't have as much pressure as AVB did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

If he can get Lamela firing, in or around his Roma standard, that would make a crucial difference to the points tally at the end of the season. Same for Soldado.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

5 year deal?

Can't see more than a couple of managers lasting 5 years in the big leagues now, idiotic that they still get these contracts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement