Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tittymouse

We are staying in the newport bay hotel on site. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Metar

Hi, we were there last year with 7 and 4 yr old. Snacks can be expensive around Disney as can restaurants. It is worth taking the train up one stop to the shopping centre (cann't remember the name of the place - but everyone will know). There was a decent selection of retaurants that had reasonable prices and also stocked up on bits and pieces in the supermarket for snacks for the kids. There were plenty of queues at most of the attractions, so use fast passes if and when you can. Be prepared for being bombarded with Disney merchandise at every opportunity!!
    If it is dry it is probably quicker walking to park from hotel rather than waiting on the free shuttle bus.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

See if you can pre-buy your train tickets online. There are two trains you can get. One that goes through Paris (takes about 2 hours) and another that is direct, and takes about 8 minutes. The train will bring you right into the park. Restaurants nearby are ok. THe rainforest one is good, the steak place next to it, isint great. Food is expensive everywhere. Bring empty bottles with you. When you are in the park, there are a load of water fountains that you can fill up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Save your money and go to the real Disney in America.I was in Newport bay recently and the rooms are tired looking.The staff obviously think they are working in a prison rather than a theme park and decent dining spots such as Rainforest Cafe have long queues.Orlando is better value/fun /weather:D

Thanks repsol but money is already spent, hopefully we will still have a nice time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Enjoy it! People will have bad experiences everywhere. No point telling someone to go to the US, it's totally different holiday to a short hop over to Paris.

It's like saying don't go to see Santa in Cleary's, save your money and go to Lapland instead, Don't go to the zoo, save your money and go on a Safari, etc.

Enjoy it! People will have bad experiences everywhere. No point telling someone to go to the US, it's totally different holiday to a short hop over to Paris.

It's like saying don't go to see Santa in Cleary's, save your money and go to Lapland instead, Don't go to the zoo, save your money and go on a Safari, etc.

Actually you are wrong.There is a perception that going to Paris is much cheaper but it is not.Orlando is admittedly a lot further but is better value for money.I just wouldn't want anyone to think the Paris experience is typical and be put off.I hope you have a nice time OP

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

Just back last tuesday from Disneyland Paris, had an amazing time, kids 16,11 and 7 loved it. We stayed in the New York hotel but the new port is just as close to the parks. Check the Weather sites to see what's the best stuff to pack, t'was fecking cold last weekend but we packed all our thermals and were fine. It's a long, long day over there, an afternoon snooze is a must on the second day, and under no circumstances go for the fireworks on any other night than the last one, it's a hard slog to get the kids through the day, but my, my,my it's well worth it, memory making.

Wibbles19 wrote: »
    Just back last tuesday from Disneyland Paris, had an amazing time, kids 16,11 and 7 loved it. We stayed in the New York hotel but the new port is just as close to the parks. Check the Weather sites to see what's the best stuff to pack, t'was fecking cold last weekend but we packed all our thermals and were fine. It's a long, long day over there, an afternoon snooze is a must on the second day, and under no circumstances go for the fireworks on any other night than the last one, it's a hard slog to get the kids through the day, but my, my,my it's well worth it, memory making.[/Quote. Thanks for that . Will wrap up warm and hopefully the kids will take a rest at some stage. Just wondering do I need travel adapters for over there???

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Bring asprin / calpol etc. You can't get any in the park for some reason. Food is pricey in the park, bring a rucksack to breakfast and load up. No sliced pan. Not kidding. It's all french bread! You can get sandwiches in the train station. Water & soft drinks too.

Bring comfy shoes, you'll have the legs walked off you. Firework show is excellent. Go to the most popular rides as early in the morning as you can, to avoid queues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

MarkR wrote: »
    Bring asprin / calpol etc. You can't get any in the park for some reason. <snip>.
    probably because such things are only available from a chemist shop?

The continental folk look upon drugs/ medicines as something that you dont give out in a supermarket so to sell it so most likely (if its the same as Germany and other countries on the continent) Disney would need to set up a full pharmacy with qualified pharmacist just to sell aspirin.

In general its no harm to bring the drugs and other toiletry items you are familiar with to where ever you are going abroad as the familiar brands from the UK/ Ireland like Calpol, sudocrem, strepsils, all johnsons products, savlon, milton fluid/ tabs, huggies napppies etc arent available abroad in many cases or are under a completely different branding that wouldnt even hint at it being what you normally buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Yes, you will need Travel Adaptors for any electrical appliances or chargers.
    Also be aware that the French are on School holidays at the moment so the Park will be busier than normal.
    As you are staying at a Disney hotel you will be able to enter the Park (Disneyland only, not the Studio's) at 8am rather than the usual 10 am opening time. There will only be a few attractions open for the early morning but still worth it if you want go on Space Mountain a few times in a row.
    As mentioned already make up some Lunch rolls at Breakfast Time, you will save yourself quite a bit of money....
    There are security checks before you enter the Park and they will often confiscate any food you have as it against the rules to bring food into the park. Just put any rolls etc. in your pockets as they really only have a quick look at any Bags or Rucksacks you have.
    If you want to take a Day-trip into Paris buy a 5-zone Mobilis ticket per person. This will get you into/out of Paris by train and lets you use the Metro for the Day.

ps. google "Disboards" and have a look at their Disneyland Paris section, loads of info there.

Thanks for that . Will wrap up warm and hopefully the kids will take a rest at some stage. Just wondering do I need travel adapters for over there???[/Quote]

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    <snip>
    As mentioned already make up some Lunch rolls at Breakfast Time, you will save yourself quite a bit of money....
    There are security checks before you enter the Park and they will often confiscate any food you have as it against the rules to bring food into the park. Just put any rolls etc. in your pockets as they really only have a quick look at any Bags or Rucksacks you have.<snip>
    are you sure they confiscate food?

One of disneys official websites says this:
    Contrary to many urban myths, you are, of course, allowed to take your own food and drink into the park, be it a few snacks or some bottles of water. The belief that "no food or drink can be taken into the parks" probably comes from the request that families do not take giant pic-nic hampers into the park, a particularly French tradition for days out.

Perhaps fearing families setting themselves up with a pic-nic on the lawns in front of the Castle, Disney built a special pic-nic area which can be found to the side of the entrance walkway from the main parking lot.
    http://www.dlrpmagic.com/planning/practicalities/park-rules-etiquette/

I haven't made it there yet as the kids are still a little too young but will definitely be going in the next couple of years (for free hopefully if the complimentary tickets work out).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

tittymouse wrote: »
    Thanks for that . Will wrap up warm and hopefully the kids will take a rest at some stage. Just wondering do I need travel adapters for over there???
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, bring 2 or 3 for all of ye (phones etc).

Bring food to the Park in good ruck sacks. Food is very expensive and of substandard quality imho.

We only spent one day there but we saw everything and did everything we wanted. All the main rides have a "fast queue" system...basically, spend the first hour visiting all the rides and go to these booths. They will give you a ticket to come back at a certain time, the you can skip most of the queues. Once you have those tickets for the main attractions, then you can plan the day around them.

It's a great place, different from Disney in Florida but we enjoyed both immensly. Wrap up well though!

are you sure they confiscate food?

One of disneys official websites says this:

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/planning/practicalities/park-rules-etiquette/

I haven't made it there yet

I'm sorry but that is an unofficial disney site.
    If you had taken the trouble to scroll to the bottom of the page you quoted from you would have seen the disclaimer that states this very fact.

If you had looked at the official disney site (there is only one, specific to each country), clicked on FAQ's, then clicked on eating at DRP, then you would have seen the following;
    "Outside food and beverages are not allowed in the Disney Parks. If you would like to bring your own food, a picnic area is available between the Guest parking and the entrances to the Parks."
    http://www.disneylandparis.ie/faq/index.xhtml?#

As somebody who has stayed there several times I can assure you that the security guys will confiscate any food they find, especially sandwiches and larger bottles of minerals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

Also, in our hotel, no tea/coffee making facilities so the travel kettle and a jar of coffee was packed, it was a godsend in the mornings. Power city have one for 14 quid, with 2 travel mugs.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that is an unofficial disney site.
    If you had taken the trouble to scroll to the bottom of the page you quoted from you would have seen the disclaimer that states this very fact.

<snip>
    if you had taken the time to provide a link to the official website (which is only one of many which offer comprehensive info on Disneyland) then I wouldnt have taken the time to look for myself to see what the story is on bring food in.

There's a general rule in boards (akin to wikipedia) that something is not considered fact till its backed up with authoritative links.

Anyhow, im sad to see they have such a policy.
    How are prices of food and drinks in the park seeing as you cannot bring anything yourself?
    Theres no sample menus on the official website to even hint at whether its relatively reasonable or downright extortionate.

There's a general rule in boards (akin to wikipedia) that something is not considered fact till its backed up with authoritative links.

Your facts were not particularly "authoritative" despite your claim that your source is official.
    I was simply replying to the OP and quoting my own experience.
    If you have a problem with any of my statements then at least make an effort to find the official source before implying that I am misleading somebody.
    .....and if you believe everything you read on Wikipedia :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, I gave correct info, you didn't...live with it.

Ps. As regards prices in the Park Restaurants try searching the Disboards forum. Loads of information there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hi!

Thinking a lot lately about a trip to Disneyland Florida.

two adults, two children. children between 7-9.

Probably looking at March/April and from checking flights, accom, car rental and park entry its looking at about €600 each.

Doesn't seem too expensive !
    Any suggestions, do's dont's etc?
    Any stories, nightmares and so on would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

hi!

Thinking a lot lately about a trip to Disneyland Florida.

two adults, two children. children between 7-9.

Probably looking at March/April and from checking flights, accom, car rental and park entry its looking at about €600 each.

Doesn't seem too expensive !

In my experience for 2 adults & 2 kids

If you are planning to go for 2 weeks, hire a car and plan to visit all the major parks at least once, eat out every night etc, I doubt if you will have much change out of 7K

I'm including everything in that, ESTA X 4, flights, Car hire, fuel & insurance, accomodation, Airport parking, Theme park tickets & spending money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

planning on going for 4 nights in florida and then to visit relatives in new york.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

March / April, the parks can be very busy with Easter & Spring Break so be careful with the dates you plan to be there, if you are prepared to get up early it's certainly doable and enjoyable, have a read of this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75870642

Thanks to everyone for ur replies.We r just back and had a great time (kids as well).Just a few tips for anyone going there, it was very cold only 2 to 3 degrees hotel was dated but very clean and breakfast was continental.Food was very expensive,€12 to €20 for burger chips and drink per head.If u have young kids bring a buggy or rent one on site. Try to get to all the parades as they were brilliant and keep an eye out for the Disney characters they hop out of nowhere.Overall had a fabaulous time n a magical place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just a minor thing but it's Disneyworld in Florida, Disneyland is in California. I warn you because some ticket brokers etc take advantage of people who don't know the difference and may charge more on the basis that you haven't done your research properly. Have heard anecdotal evidence of this from US friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

Thinking of having once in a life time holiday to Orlando Florida theme Parks 2 adults ,3Kids just wondering should we just book with American Holidays or is there a better way to book through,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

Thinking of having once in a life time holiday to Orlando Florida theme Parks 2 adults ,3Kids just wondering should we just book with American Holidays or is there a better way to book through,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

castle wrote: »

I have been to Florida 3 times, each time we booked everything separately. This does take time and a good bit of research but we have saved money doing it this way.

My suggestion is to look up flights, accommodation, car hire and theme park tickets separately from 2-3 companies add up the cheapest from your selection and then approach Tour America and American holidays and see what they can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

I have been to Florida 3 times, each time we booked everything separately. This does take time and a good bit of research but we have saved money doing it this way.

My suggestion is to look up flights, accommodation, car hire and theme park tickets separately from 2-3 companies add up the cheapest from your selection and then approach Tour America and American holidays and see what they can offer.

• Advertisement

You will not regret it! The problem is you will want to keep going back.I would recommend American Holidays for your first time as they have reps to meet you at the airport and provide a welcome meeting to point you in the right direction.Once you know the setup booking yourself is cheaper.If you want recommendations for hotels and restaurants I can help as I go there most years.If you let me know the age of your kids I can suggest the best theme parks as some are unsuitable for young kids.:)

Advertisement