Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

castle wrote: »
    Thinking of having once in a life time holiday to Orlando Florida theme Parks 2 adults ,3Kids just wondering should we just book with American Holidays or is there a better way to book through,cheers

You will not regret it! The problem is you will want to keep going back.I would recommend American Holidays for your first time as they have reps to meet you at the airport and provide a welcome meeting to point you in the right direction.Once you know the setup booking yourself is cheaper.If you want recommendations for hotels and restaurants I can help as I go there most years.If you let me know the age of your kids I can suggest the best theme parks as some are unsuitable for young kids.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hiya Folks,
    I'm planning on taking my 8y.o son on a trip to London to do the Theme Parks.
    From what I can see most of these seem to be based in the Windsor/Heathrow area?
    He is also a big Harry Potter fan so I want to take him to the Harry Potter studio tour and do the usual ''London'' touristy things too.

With this in mind.
    I'm looking for some advice on where would be best to base ourselves?
    Ideally a family friendly hotel with easy access to trains/commute to the attractions?
    Or would hiring a car be a better option?
    Any advice will be much appreciated! T.I.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

How long are you planning on going for?

Windsor itself is about a £25 taxi fair from Heathrow (If you book in advance, don't grab a black cab from the rank) and there is a shuttle bus from Windsor to Legoland (8 years old is the perfect age for Legoland). I am pretty sure you can also get a bus from Windsor to Thorpe Park, or can you get the train to Staines (about 15 minutes) and get the shuttle bus from there.

In Windsor, you have the Castle and you can easily spend a day sightseeing in the town itself. Then from Windsor to London you have two options. Windsor Central to Paddington via Slough is about 40 minutes, or the train from Windsor Riverside to Waterloo is about 50 minutes. Both Windsor stations are in the town centre and are about a ten minute slow walk apart.

The down side with Windsor is that it isn't cheap. it is a very classy place and this is reflected in teh standard of the hotels. There is, however, a travelodge in the middle of the town, but apparently this can be a bit noisy at weekends as Windsor has a very lively night scene.

If you want to do it the other way around, then your best bet would be to stay somewhere around Waterloo, as you can get to Windsor (for legoland) and Staines (for Thorpe Park) quite easily from there.

As for getting to Watford (For the Harry Potter tour), well, if you are in London, you can get the train from Euston, but it isn't too easy from Windsor, as it would involve a trip into London first. So if you base yourself in London, then you probably won't need a car, but if you are based in Windsor, a car may be useful. This then opens up your choice of hotels as well and may actually pay for itself. Windsor to Watford is about 40 minutes by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fred thanks a million for the detailed reply!
    Its very much appreciated and has given me plenty of options :D
    We would probably go for at least 5 days/a week, so as not to be too rushed to jam everything into just a few days.
    I'd never even thought of staying in central London, but you have made a compelling and sensible case for it!
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

banie01 wrote: »
    Fred thanks a million for the detailed reply!
    Its very much appreciated and has given me plenty of options :D
    We would probably go for at least 5 days/a week, so as not to be too rushed to jam everything into just a few days.
    I'd never even thought of staying in central London, but you have made a compelling and sensible case for it!
    Thanks!

Waterloo isn't the smartest of areas, but it is very central and you can easily do the London Eye, London Aquarium (well worth a visit), Big Ben etc without having to get a train (There are a couple of hotels in County Hall, a Marriott and a Premier Inn, which might be be a good base). You also have the option to fly into Gatwick which could work out cheaper as well.

Consider Windsor though, it is a lovely town and is very cool. It has good upmarket shopping as well if that floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Looking to visit either Gardaland in Italy or Port Adventura in Spain, has anyone ever been or recommend these locations. I am swinging more towards Port Adventura as it has a water park and a theme park albeit a smaller one then in Italy.

Looking online I think its only Cassidy travel agents in Ireland that are agents for PA in Spain.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Visited Portaventura on a day trip from Barcelona. It's a fantastic theme park. Can you not book direct with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You could have a look here http://www.portaventuraholidays.ie/?refcode=portaventura-holidays It's been a few years since we were there, we stayed onsite half board, decent food plus other benefits

It's a good theme park, part of the Universal group, I'd consider the waterpark only average though

Be warned though, it's absolutely jammers during the summer

Looked at it again for a two week stay a couple of years ago, it was cheaper to go to Florida

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Portaventura is excellent, the water park has been extended.
    We are visiting Gardaland for the first time this year, there is a water park nearby which gets good recommendations also a movieland. Why do you think Gardaland is bigger I was under the impression Portaventura is.
    You get a lot more videos for PA and their site is better so maybe its misleading to think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

I stayed at Lake Garda in 2009 I think it was and had a fantastic holiday. I'd recommend Gardaland, very good theme park and not overly crowded. Never been to Portaventura so can't comment on it but Lake Garda is a great holiday location. Would definitely go back.

• Advertisement

Thats great to hear harp, we are staying at the southern part of the lake near pesheria (sp) De Garda.

Daisy M wrote: »
    Thats great to hear harp, we are staying at the southern part of the lake near pesheria (sp) De Garda.

Same place where I stayed, really lovely. Lots to see and do and Milan, Verona and Venice aren't too far away. Verona is a lovely small city and I'd recommend taking the train/bus there for a day.

Thanks we are hiring a car but apparently trains are regular and inexpensive so may consider that option for less stress.:) We are also staying 2 nights in Bergamo the citti alta part, it looks lovely.

Thanks we are hiring a car but apparently trains are regular and inexpensive so may consider that option for less stress.:) We are also staying 2 nights in Bergamo the citti alta part, it looks lovely.

Public transport is very good. I wouldn't bother hiring a car myself.

Thanx for all the replies, cant believe you got to go to Florida for cheaper all the same. I have been to Florida for the last 3 yrs so dont particularly wanna go back. And the cost of the flights alone for 2 adults and a child is near €2000....

I am deffo torn between PA and Gardaland, will have to research the life out of the two of them.

Just a quick question the difference in price for flights is about €350 depending on the airport you land in, with Reus dearer then Barcelona El Prat. I take it that its the El Prat that is the 1hr transfer time (which is no probs TBH) if I can save €350.

Any problems getting from either airport?

Thanx again.

When we go to PA we stay on site and entry to the park is included and at least oneto the water park. All the pa hotels are lovely the close proximity means you can easily pop in early morning come out when it gets busy and return in the evening if you wish.
    The theming is excellent and there are loads of great shows. I am not expecting as much from Gardaland so I will be plesantly suprised if it is comparable. I find I am coming up with a lot less info on Gardaland than Portaventura. Check out themeparkreview, they are usually quiet comprehensive and have good info they may give a good comparrison between the two.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Thanx for all the replies, cant believe you got to go to Florida for cheaper all the same. I have been to Florida for the last 3 yrs so dont particularly wanna go back. And the cost of the flights alone for 2 adults and a child is near €2000....

In fairness I was quoted 5K or damn close for two weeks half board for four staying at Hotel PortAventura, add some spends to that...that was during the so called 'boom' haven't checked prices recently but would consider going back if the price was right

You can get flights & accom for 4 to Orlando starting at €2,600 with the likes of Tour America & American Holidays

I am getting just under €3000 for 2 weeks in the El Paso all in jobbie...which is not bad TBH. Flight will cost me another €510 with Ryanair if I fly into El Prat or €850 into Reus.

I really like the look of the park so I think I will book it in the next 2 weeks.....

I would choose the Reus option. It is dearer but transfers from El Prat will cost quiet a bit and will take a couple of hours, if you fly to Reus you will be in your hotel within 15mins of exiting the airport.

Elpaso is a great choice and it includes snacks and drinks in certain spots in the theme park.

Which month are you thinking of going. Check out the Thompsons.com site for accomodation only prices also Thomas Cook.

I looked into Florida too and was impress by flights and accomodation prices but the over all cost really shoots up when you add in car hire, food and park tickets at least with your all inclusive you know food and park entry is covered and you do not need to hire a bus as local transport and taxis are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

POrtaventura is fantastic & was slightly extended last year (Sesame Street area).

I've been every secondyear. We stayed in the elpaso once in that time & it's a great hotel, but the difference in price wasn't worth it. (fantastic pool though). Every other tim we stayed in the H10 Solarus Palace just down the hill.

Really good value, great food & entertainment & really reasonably priced. We're going again this year & it came in €1050 less expensive than staying in the El Paso.

• Advertisement

If I was to go to Florida I would skip Universal and Disneyland and just go to Baush Gardens again...it was brilliant. Its a lovely relaxing drive to it aswell the prices of the themes parks is what kills the trip to Florida but it has to be done once.

I will check out the best prices for Reus......thanx for the input.

OU812 wrote: »
    POrtaventura is fantastic & was slightly extended last year (Sesame Street area).

I've been every secondyear. We stayed in the elpaso once in that time & it's a great hotel, but the difference in price wasn't worth it. (fantastic pool though). Every other tim we stayed in the H10 Solarus Palace just down the hill.

Really good value, great food & entertainment & really reasonably priced. We're going again this year & it came in €1050 less expensive than staying in the El Paso.

I will have a gander at that, but how much are the tickets to the park and the aqua park for 2 weeks if you stay off site?

Theyre not that expensive. About €60/€70 for three days admission.

Booking.com is giving me the same hotel with the same room for over €1000 cheaper!!! Unless I have missed something bigtime.....€60/70 per person? I think the all inclusive El Paso is the way to go especially if I can get it on Booking.com.

I would choose the Reus option. It is dearer but transfers from El Prat will cost quiet a bit and will take a couple of hours, if you fly to Reus you will be in your hotel within 15mins of exiting the airport.

Elpaso is a great choice and it includes snacks and drinks in certain spots in the theme park.

Which month are you thinking of going. Check out the Thompsons.com site for accomodation only prices also Thomas Cook.

I looked into Florida too and was impress by flights and accomodation prices but the over all cost really shoots up when you add in car hire, food and park tickets at least with your all inclusive you know food and park entry is covered and you do not need to hire a bus as local transport and taxis are great.

I'd choose the Reus option also if not hiring a car but I think 3k is a lot to pay tbh, I assume that's for one room full board?
    Not really fair to compare it to Florida I suppose but I've found car hire is 40- 50% cheaper than in spain and 1 park V several

If it was me, I'd stay off site, fly into Barca, hire a car & visit the park maybe 2/3 times & take a few day trips in the car but that's just me :)

I'm hoping you go to Lake Garda so you can do all the groundwork for me and report back here, been wanting to go there for a few years :D

Booking.com is giving me the same hotel with the same room for over €1000 cheaper!!! Unless I have missed something bigtime.....€60/70 per person? I think the all inclusive El Paso is the way to go especially if I can get it on Booking.com.

Do consider the walk down (& particularly up) the hill to the town or beach. It's further than it looks.

OP, are you theme park junkies like us?

Will you actually go to the same theme park every day of your holiday?

There is a huge varience in price between sites, what was the site where you got the first price?

In regards to staying in Salou for cheaper, you could not pay me to stay in Salou too built up and ugly for my liking.

Take into consideration ticket costs, plus eating in the park and transfers to the park and you will see a signifigant reduction in the amount you save. However we like to spend a lot of time in the park 3 days would not be enough so that also sways my opinion.
    Check out attractiontix and 365 for ticket prices.
    There is a land train that transfers you from the Elpaso to the park but it is only a 5 min walk also there is a new shopping centre near the El Paso.

My preference of hotel is Portaventura great athmosphere and location is literally on the park door step.

Nautysmurf I will update this thread just for you in July!! I havent been to Florida but will be able to compare it to PA.

If I go to PA I would deffo spend every day in the theme park no doubt, no probs at all. Maybe its because after being to Florida 3 times and paying a fortune for the tickets you wanna make the most of them!

However I will be going for day trips to Barcelona and surrounding areas to see as much of the country as possible I would also spend alot of time in the Aqua Park too.

I dont mind paying the all inclusive price for hotels where the food is good, otherwise I would just pay for the hotel and sort myself out. But getting food included in the theme park is a big plus coz that is where Florida sucks BIGTIME!

• Advertisement

If I go to PA I would deffo spend every day in the theme park no doubt, no probs at all. Maybe its because after being to Florida 3 times and paying a fortune for the tickets you wanna make the most of them!

However I will be going for day trips to Barcelona and surrounding areas to see as much of the country as possible I would also spend alot of time in the Aqua Park too.

I dont mind paying the all inclusive price for hotels where the food is good, otherwise I would just pay for the hotel and sort myself out. But getting food included in the theme park is a big plus coz that is where Florida sucks BIGTIME!

Well you can get the train from nearly outside the hotel for Barca, that's handy & inexpensive, about 1hr20mins travel time, Tarragona is only a few mins away also on the same line & direction, worth a visit

The food in Hotel PortAventure was good when we were there ( above average) as for the food in the parks, it's very similar to Florida, burgers nuggets etc

Enjoy and maybe a trip report :)

Advertisement