Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Was there in early December with the kids, have been once before too. The other posters who recommended going to Val d'Europe Shopping centre in Marne La Valee were right, good selection of restaurants there at the same price or less than at home. There's also a discount outlet which is owned by the same crowd as Kildare Village, but is much bigger. The food inside the park is pretty poor and extraordinarily expensive. It might be worth looking at booking the Inventions restaurant in the Disney hotel - very good buffet food, but more importantly for the kids, Mickey, Minnie and the rest are walking around the restaurant at dinner. (VERY) expensive, but if you can stretch to it its worth it as a treat...

To get the best value for Disneyland, go to the disneyland.fr site. Their all inclusive deals with hotels, park tickets, half board/kids go free etc. are really the cheapest way to do Disney. The first time I went I booked everything separate and it cost a fortune. They have everything pretty well tied down pricewise - there's no real way to get bargains as Disney control everything, so go with the best offer you can get from their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

devil-80 wrote: »
    Whats the average cost of trip in Disneyland 2 adults and 2 children? For 3 daya- is that enough?

Hard to say what's enough for each family. We were there for 4 nights and never bored. We didn't get to see/do every attraction/ride either. The current offer by Disney Ireland is book 2 nights, get 2 nights free FWIW. The current offer on Dsney Germany is 25%, Kids under 7 free and free dinner vouchers. Works out more expensive than the Irish offer. You can call the main helpline to book any offer from any country

As for costs, it's down to you. Flights are about €130 return each. You can 4 nights in 3 star Sequoia Lodge (with park tickets) for about €1,200 in August. Staying outside Disney (in Val d'Europe for example) can work out much cheaper. Staying in the Disneyland Hotel is much more expensive. staying outside peak times will save you money too

Your only costs while you're there are lunch and dinner (snacks if you want them) which can be expensive (posted links to the menus earlier in the thread). No doubt you'll be buying some souvenirs for the kids too but they're standard prices really

A trip to Disneyland Paris isn't cheap but we definitely felt we got our money's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Looking for advice on travel etc if anyone has been! It would be cheaper than Windsor and we might be guaranteed decent weather in the summer. Looking to fly into memmingen airport via Ryanair. Has anyone any experience on transfer to legoland from menmingen? We are probably going to stay in the Lego village. Would anyone recommend how many days? Thinking maybe 3 or 4 days, have a 3 And a 6 year old. Any advice welcome! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

ok but is it not better to stay in Disneyland Hotel-you're closer to all attraction otherwise you have to travel to park ? Free park ticket is that incl all entry etc?
    Im not sure did ive checked right but the tickets price for 2adults 2 children is 800€ for 4 days??

It could be that price, yeah (but you can buy yearly passes that are cheaper) Details here; http://www.disneylandparis.ie/annual-passeports/

Personally I'd only stay in the Disney hotels because of the convenience. If you're going for 4 nights, you'll get park tickets for 5 days (ie your departure day) and you can come and go as you please. The Sequoia Lodge hotel we stayed in was 10 minutes walk away and as I said earlier we went back to the room/pool every day for a break

As a Disney hotel guest, you also get "extra magic hours" from 8am-10am in the main park before it's open to the public. You can get so much done in this time

• Advertisement

You might want to check out the price of the Disney hotel - €800 for park tickets will be the least of your worries. Rack rate is around €900-1200 per night room only! Obviously deals reduce this significantly, but you're still talking €4-500 per night for the room alone. We stayed there for 3 nights in early December, and it was almost worth it 'cos we got a good deal, but I couldn't and wouldn't pay the peak prices they charge for what isn't really a 5 star hotel....

Certainly in December/January I could see the appeal of the closeness of the DLH but I personally couldn't justify the expense. We went with Sequoia as it was cheapest within walking distance that had a pool and wifi in the rooms

and €800 for 4 ppl for 4 days sounds cheap for tickets. Are some of the kids going free? When we were there I priced 1 extra days tickets for 2 adults and 3 kids at €640.....needless to say we went into Paris for the day instead!

spyderski wrote: »
    and €800 for 4 ppl for 4 days sounds cheap for tickets. Are some of the kids going free? When we were there I priced 1 extra days tickets for 2 adults and 3 kids at €640.....needless to say we went into Paris for the day instead!

Just checked on the site there and 4 day 2 park tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids would cost €798

That's a big discount from the at-the-gate price of €84 for adults and €77 for kids

Yeah actually, now that I think of it it was more like €3-400 for the extra day. Still a bloody rob though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

Gosh there is a lot of misinformation in the replies you are getting...

Do not consider staying in paris with small kids.... absolutely madness to recommend that!

With your kids' ages stay in a disneyland hotel and book when under 7s/12s are free. Up to you when it comes to budget as to whether you want walking distance or free shuttle bus away. As i mentioned a possible saving may be made by booking 1 annual pass for 1 of the adults.

As mentioned there is a supermarket in val de europe. But i know most people dont want to trek out of the parks to visit a supermarket on a 4/5 day holiday.

Prices have shot up in recent years i had on 1 occassion booked cheyenne for 2adults 1 child for 300 odd euro for 4 nights..... in recent years having buggys we stayed in sequoia lodge to avoid the busses.

I have used breakaway before and it was great paying it off.

If you book online on the offical disney website (be it french,uk, irish, german etc.) you pay full amount but if you telephone you only pay deposit.

In the last year the irish site has been suprisingly cheapest some of the time. The fr site has good flash sales. I used to used the uk site but with currency rates i guess thats a no no.

Again keep eye on disboards the paris site. The experts who know every loophole are on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah I love Disney.. Have been there many times and the above Poster is more or less correct.

With kids most defo do not stay in Paris you'll be mad and probably pay as much in travel as you would staying there.. Also watch out for the taxi drivers as they will pretend to get lost etc and all this malarky

We stayed in two of the hotels there.

One was the Newport which is nice but really only because it is closer as in walking distance to the parks, perks wise that is it.. You think you would get more but you don't, you get tea and coffee in a cardboard cup and only the once that's about the end of the perks..

The other time then we stayed in Santa Fa hotel - all inclusive and I must say it is the best of the two.
    You get your breakfeast buffet which is fine nothing great but it fills you up.
    The rooms are basic but clean but that is all you need, after a day in the park all you want to do is rest.
    There is a bus to and from the park so you don't have to walk

Things to note on Disney
    Food - it is more or less Cheese or Ham or Cheese sambos, expect nothing more..
    Prices - to be honest we didn't find them any madder than Ireland. Don't do anything like the buffet meal deals as they are a waste. The deals you get in the kinda chippers are find and you get things like free mugs with the kids meal and what not.

Tips, pack in all you can at breakfeast and take some rolls and crossaints with you to bring to the park later, stick some lunch boxes or something into you bag. Can do the same with the fruit you get at breakfeast.

Might be worth buying a big bulk of drinks for the park like capri suns or something like this.

Get a good rucksack to bring around with you much easier
    Decant shoes prepare for lots of walking.

The French do not que and are very very slow. So don't think they are being rude to you by pushing you out of the way that's just what they do, I think they get to excited when they see the bus.. And service they are painfully slow so be prepared to que a long time for food. Even just a coffee it is painfull.

Oh and 3 days would be loads in the parks.. Your feet will be so tired and 3 days gives you lots of time to get everything done.

Milly33 wrote: »
    One was the Newport which is nice but really only because it is closer as in walking distance to the parks, perks wise that is it.. You think you would get more but you don't, you get tea and coffee in a cardboard cup and only the once that's about the end of the perks..

That's recently been done up and refurbished FWIW

Whats FWIW :)

sorry; "for what it's worth"

Ahhh im not down with all this lingo ROFL I get that's it.. Thanks..

Yeah it was done up when we were there but really for the price which now I wasn't sure as himself booked it (he proposed) I just found it wasn't worth any more than the other hotels. All you need is a bed and a decant shower or bath in my head..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Try and book the two night free offer, we went for 4 nights back in May, stayed in Sequoia Lodge(we booked here as close to parks should we need to change the toddler and didn't fancy a bit trek back), think it was 700e or so for 2 adults and 1 child.
    We went to Paris one day and regretted it, everywhere is so crowded and it's not the most kid friendly place. I really wouldn't bother with Paris unless you really want to

The food is actually not that bad. We did
    Day One: Inventions: This is in the DisneyLand Hotel and is the buffet with characters, it was expensive(70 per adult and we said the kid was under 3 so she was free!!), Food was good here(cassoroles,seafood,carved meats,potato gratin,lasagne,pasta,kid stuff too,amazing desserts)
    Day Two: Rainforest cafe, Similar to TGI or the likes. About the same price as a meal in the same.
    Day Three: Chez Remy: The ratoutille(SP?) restuarant. We loved this. Think it worked out at 120 for two adults, 1 child meal and two bottles of wine so again, similiar to here. The waitress we had was lovely, our daughter didn't like the kids menu so they gave her a smaller steak for the same price.
    Day Four: Hunter's Grill: This is the buffet restaurant in the hotel we stayed at, it was our favourite,food was better than disneyland hotel, even had a little freezer full of kiddies icepops, lots of kids stuff(chips/nuggets/plain pasta/sausges) and broccoli! (my daughter loves it so was delighted!!) It was abou5 35 per adult and then we had one bottle of wine for about 22

We also ate in annette's diner(which is kind of like an eddie rockets, similar cost too) and we had lunch once or twice in McD's, most days we filled up at breakfast and had dinner at 5

We brought stuff for our daughter to eat in the evening like koka noodles in the pot and asked for kettle, we brought fruit pots, raisins, pringles/popcorn.. there's also a little shop in the train station that we went to a few times, it's got prepacked sambos/crisps/wine/water and is very reasonable, we bought wine here and stuck it in the buggy basket and took it back to hotel.
    We also brought refillable bottles with one of the little concentrated juices and refilled at the water fountains

Defo bring a buggy, it's a lot of walking, the kids can take turns..
    Oh and I'd also book a transfer, I couldn't be faffing about with trains with a young child, although we went to the ryanair airport(will never use it again-too far!!)

It can be as expensive as you let it be. We spent, 1250 for 5 whole days there, not limiting ourselves once, including food, a lot of wine and cocktails for us,brought home something for our 7 nieces and nephews, the people minding the dog and then our daughter probably spent about 40 a day on toys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I stayed in the Kyriad hotel which was grand. Buffet breakfast with a decent selection, clean rooms and a Disney gift shop.

You'll be out of the hotel by 10 and back at 9pm every day, so hotel quality doesn't matter.

This is another reason to book a hotel near the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

Think as you'll see everyone has there own experiences we have been a couple of times in the past and are heading in July again , have to say it is a great holiday.

Bear in mind we are travelling this time as two families together with 8 kids in total from 1yr to 11yrs old.

Where to book : Travel agents are handy they know what they are selling and can help , myself I have booked separately got flights in the sales booked the hotel ( Newport bay) in October last year can a really great deal but ringing up in comparison to what was shown on the site nearly 40% less however be prepared to be on hold for 1 hour plus.

Where to stay : I have only every stayed in Disney hotels ( Newport , New York ) always a good experience and character floating around for the kids.

Paris or no? : I travel to Paris a fair bit for work you can do it but think about the idea of dragging your kids around effectively adult tourist locations. I wouldn't do it with my kids.

How long? : I have always gone for the 5 days (you always end up with a couple of days free) reason being there is a lot of walking and with littler legs that can take a while and feel like your pushing them around the park.

Food ? Bring refillable juice bottles water taps are around the place and with the walking and heat you'll get thirsty fast , kids more so.

The food is good and bad clearly everything around Disney is at a premium so usually have breakfast as part of the package and take enough fruit snacks to cover early lunch and supper when you eventually get back to the hotel. Aside from that if you look at the maps you'll see all the food places from really expensive ones to Macd's but it gives you prices.

• Advertisement

Now I want to go book Disney!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

Milly33 wrote: »
    Now I want to go book Disney!

Have to say I'm looking forward to just watching the constant look of excitement on the kids faces is worth it.

I shall tell the truth but I don't actually have any kids I just love going. I did go with my friends kid and I swear I was so weak to see his reaction to it.. Such a beautiful face to see

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

We had a car when we went. Found it worked very well. We were able to come out when we were hungry and have a rest and our picnic, then go back for more fun. Was handy when it got late to be able to leave immediately and not have to wait for transport, especially with little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Also. We were there for two days. Both of our tickets worked for the fastpass!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Is there a train from euro disney that brings you directly into paris?are the main tourist places i.e. effiel tower,louvre far from the station that you would arrive in from euro disney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You can get a train from the gates of Disneyland direct to the Gare de Lyon in the centre of Paris.

paris-train-map.jpg

From there you can get the metro anywhere in Paris. I didn't find Paris to be a good walking city like Rome, so the metro is essential to getting around quickly.

I also found that it's possible to buy a train ticket that doesn't even get you out of the train station. Their system is broken into zones like the Dublin bus or Luas, but instead of buying for instance a 3 zone ticket, that can get you 3 zones from where you are, if you're in Disneyland (Zone 5) and you want to get to somewhere in zone 2, you need a 5 to 2 ticket.

I bought a zone 3 ticket at the machine in Disneyland and was told I could only use in a train station that was in Zone 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

buggy beag wrote: »
    Is there a train from euro disney that brings you directly into paris?are the main tourist places i.e. effiel tower,louvre far from the station that you would arrive in from euro disney?

It is also possible to buy a ticket for the "hop on, hop off" bus, takes you to all the main sites, you go have a look and when finished, wait at the stop for the next bus to come around, well worth it in my experience as the metro is too messy for a 1 day excursion

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Has anybody been to legoland Germany? Looking for advice on travel to legoland from memmingen airport etx. It would be much cheaper than Windsor and might get some good weather too!

• Advertisement

Just buy a one way or return ticket on the RER A and then when you're in the city buy a daily pass for zones 1&2. Metro is exceptional as the city is kinda spread out

Advertisement